• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schmedium fill for kid

Hagen

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
Indiana
My 9 yo nephew is starting to shoot some 22 prs matches with me. He's using my heavy fill bag but its a little too much for him yet.

His parents want to buy him one and not sure how the git lite is as far as holding shape on a barricade? Have an og but definitely isn't as solid as the heavy in my schmedium.

He doesn't handle it bad so not sure if it would be better to get the heavy and dump some out or tell them to get the lighter one?

This kid will be tough to handle if he sticks with it! Thanks for any advice.

My 9 yo nephew is starting to shoot some 22 prs matches with me. He's using my heavy fill bag but its a little too much for him yet.

His parents want to buy him one and not sure how the git lite is as far as holding shape on a barricade? Have an og but definitely isn't as solid as the heavy in my schmedium.

He doesn't handle it bad so not sure if it would be better to get the heavy and dump some out or tell them to get the lighter one?

This kid will be tough to handle if he sticks with it! Thanks for any advice.
I did 50/50 git lite and sand. The new MDT glass fill is lighter and supposedly as steady as smedium

Reactions: Mrindecisive
Try crushed walnut tumbling media, lighter than sand or poly beads but heavier than git-lite.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I've had one friend mix the poly bead and sand to reduce weight (bag still forms well) and I have changed one of my bags to PURG fill from Precision Underground, very light and will lock up.

I've had one friend mix the poly bead and sand to reduce weight (bag still forms well) and I have changed one of my bags to PURG fill from Precision Underground, very light and will lock up.
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I do have a refill bag of the purge fill sitting here. Was thinking about telling them to buy the heavy and we'd save the sand for as he got bigger and use purge for now.

Was gonna call precision underground today and ask them how it worked for that. You may have answered my question.

Since you're asking about barricades specifically... Holding shape isn't an issue for Gitlite at all, the issue is how well Gitlite hangs onto stuff. Keeping a Gitlite Schmedium full definitely helps it grab onto some things better (like a cattle gate), but there's really no way for it to match how well heavy bags just "sink" onto stuff (especially angled or odd surfaces). Hopefully that makes sense.

I use a waxed heavy fill Fortune Cookie as my primary bag, however, I have no problem shooting off of & would never consider selling my Gitlite Schmedium. I actually prefer Gitlite for a rear rest and actual hunting (although I wouldn't take any bag backpacking). It's definitely something a 9yo could use for a couple years & then keep as a backup/special use bag as they age & can better manage a heavy fill.

I don't know how the purge fill compares to Gitlite, but your suggestion is probably the most economic.

His parents are gonna order the heavy and possibly use the purge fill and we'll save the sand to add in later.

Does anyone know if they sell the gitlite seperate? I looked but didn't see it, would think they may? His dad said he was gonna call and ask but don't know if he did.

His parents are gonna order the heavy and possibly use the purge fill and we'll save the sand to add in later.

Does anyone know if they sell the gitlite seperate? I looked but didn't see it, would think they may? His dad said he was gonna call and ask but don't know if he did.

I would consider a pint size heavy fill game changer. Pint size heavy is 5lbs vs. 8.5 on the Schemdium. I have one that I have loaned to smaller shooters in the past with good results. It will be much steadier than the GetLite option.

Reactions: mmlook
On the extra bags I have filled with PURG, they are super light and will lock together when compressed but nothing beats the mass and deadness of sand.
If you must have lighter for a junior, maybe try the sand/poly pellet mix first (you can always sift them apart later if necessary.

I would consider a pint size heavy fill game changer. Pint size heavy is 5lbs vs. 8.5 on the Schemdium. I have one that I have loaned to smaller shooters in the past with good results. It will be much steadier than the GetLite option.

this

not sure if any of you have tested it, but from my testing

Heavy gun(16+ lbs) + heavy sand bag = stable
Light gun(less than 12lbs) + heavy sand bag = wobbly

basically when the bag and the gun are around the same weight, the gun doesn't really settle as well,
and tends to just get propped up and teeters on the bag.

Reactions: giumau1
I realize this has been covered a thousand times, so FWIW - Today I compared my Gitlite Schmedium & heavy sand Fortune Cookie (no rear support). I shot off an open tailgate, corner of truck bed, & 3 different 1" square rungs of an aluminum ladder.

Off the truck bed & tailgate, I really didn't notice a difference until about 4 or 5 shots in. The ~19lb rifle w/ MPA DN5 continued to sink into the heavy sand Fortune Cookie, helping the bag grab the stock, but did not sink into the Gitlite*. If you're moving every 2 shots, I think the difference would be insignificant.

Off the ladder rungs, both bags were essentially equal in positions where I could brace my dominant elbow against the inside of my knee. Where I couldn't brace w/ my knee, the heavy fill was noticeably more stable.

I didn't shoot off anything angled/slanted/odd, but that's where heavy fill really shines. If anything, the lighter fill might be a better teaching tool, since it doesn't serve as a band aid for bad positions as well.

* again, my Gitlite schmedium is very full, which might prevent it from sinking/settling in.

* again, my Gitlite schmedium is very full, which might prevent it from sinking/settling in.
They come 10-25% overfilled in my experience. You'll get a substantial improvement in stability if you bleed it down a bit.

I alternate between standard beads and Git-Lite in my Schmedium. I'm trying to run only that bag to simplify my match approach. I do notice a little bit more wobble with the Git-Lite, but not enough that I don't keep switching when the match calls for it - lots of hiking, no cart, NRLH, or if I'm flying with it.

I like the pint sized votes above, and would second. The lighter beads are lighter, and would be great for say a squeeze bag, but at least for me they seems too light and wishy washy.

I have a Shmedium plus 1 @ 7.5lbs and a regular Shmedium @ 5lbs both were done with one bag of git-lite. Trust me, I put way more into this than anyone should probably do and I can tell you that at this ratio I've seen zero difference in stability vs all sand. Weight savings was huge for all day hiking matches.

Reactions: Hagen
I checked to see if Santa brought him one for Christmas but they haven't got anything yet. Think they like the price of using my stuff lol.

Told them going in its not the cheapest hobby.