• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Scope for SR-25: ZCO 4-20 or SB PMII Ultra-short 5-20?

Stonebridge

Regular Guy
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I hate to do another "this or that" thread, but I have researched to the point of analysis paralysis.

I'm looking for a new scope for a KAC SR-25 CC. I'd like a relatively short scope that can be cranked down to roughly ACOG magnification levels, but can also be dialed up for longer precision shots. Don't want another LVPO, as I'm planning on running an offset T-2.

Primary goals are ease of use, clarity, and ease to get behind from weird positions (big eye box, etc). For reticles, it's between the MPCT-1 and the H2CMR, and neither seems to run away with it for me. I'm not looking for a Christmas tree for this scope.

The SB is slightly lighter. The ZCO gets nothing but rave reviews. Price is close enough to not really be a deciding factor.

I am also willing to concede that the answer may be "flip a coin" and call it good.

Any guidance from the collective wisdom of the Hide? Thanks!

@MNTC - he just got a US 5-20 with offset rds for his SR-25 and I’m pretty sure he couldn’t be happier. But I’ll let him chime in.

PS - I did an ultra short review with these scopes a couple years ago, link is in my signature below

Last edited:
Reactions: BoldCorrections
Either you can resell and recoup most of your money, especially if you find it in the PX. Those reticle choices make that much more likely. Not apples to apples but between my 5-25 PMII and 527 ZCO I’m ZCO all day on the points you’ve mentioned. Not like it’s a landslide in my opinion and I’m not an expert. It’s just easier to get behind and stay behind. Glass has slightly better resolution to my eyes.

I'll have to chime in a bit more when I have time. Just took Jack L from KAC dual role carbine class in Vegas a few weeks ago. 5-20us with offset T2. I'll have to give a range report on why certain things did well and others did not for different folks. Shot 1000 rounds of 308 in two days. I had a P4F in the 5-20us with the new DT2+ turrets and had zero issues on anything through 1k. I could have bought any scope available and I chose that Schmidt. I wouldn't get caught up in the thinner reticles. Especially if your like me and shoot in the 10-15 mag range. I had mine on 13x the entire time for the precision shooting day. And did just as well, if not better then anyone running 5-25 optics with fancy reticles.

I've had multiple of all the ZCOs, Schmidt, and others in the 3-15, 4-16, 3-20, 3-18, 4-20, 5-20 scopes.

More to follow. Just busy at the moment.
20210123_110259.jpg

20210123_165453.jpg

signal-2021-01-28-081153.jpg

Screenshot_20210228-172613_Gallery.jpg

20201206_173532.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what, if you are indifferent between the 2 scopes, I’ll sell you a super clean non illum 5-20 SB with a T3 reticle for $2,900 and we can talk about the Spuhr mount it’s in. Both are great scopes, for same price, I’d buy a ZCO because I like the reticles.

I'm running a 5-20US on my SR25. MSR reticle has worked very well in mine.

Attachments

• PXL_20201113_185438143.jpg
    PXL_20201113_185438143.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: MOUNTIC
Thanks for the feedback, all! And @Glassaholic, thanks for that excellent write-up.

@MNTC - that looks almost exactly like what I've got in mind for mine. Is that the new Badger C-1 mount you're using?
My pleasure, the Ultra Shorts with the new DT II+ turrets are absolutely phenomenal, but the rising prices of Schmidt scopes are limiting their appeal for sure. The ZCO has wider FOV at 4x vs. the Schmidt 5-20 at 5x, that and reticle choice I think are the biggest differing factors for making your choice between the two as both have superb optical/mechanical characteristics (I would give the nod to ZCO for overall optical performance), ZCO is also limited in mount choices with their 36mm tube so keep that in mind. I will say this, if you are looking at a used Schmidt US with the 18 mil per rev turrets, I do not like those turrets at all - clicks are way too close together and non-distinct, MTC can overtravel, etc. But the new DT II+ turrets are vastly superior, yes, you lose some travel with them, but how many of us need over 30 mil of travel, especially for a gas gun.

PS - Yes, MNTC is using the Badger C-1 mount on his SR-25, they are slick!

OK, so no one is mentioning a real difference between the scopes - the mag ring. The SB is stiff and there is no "fin" like on the ZCO. Further, the aftermarket solutions either dont exist or are UAF. The ZCO on the other hand is fantastic - just the right resistance and the "ring" is easy to grab and has a small fin that your fingers can lever against. For equal prices, I'm team ZCO

Being that it’s kind of a niche requirement with regards to accessories, it’s all going to boil down to the mount. How you want to orientate the T2 and whether or not you want to mount it to the scope mount or utilize a secondary offset RDS mount. IE if you want to go the Badger route then you’re either going with a 30/34/35mm tube. With Spuhr you have the all of the tube sizes but no J Arm options. They’re both in that top tier of optics. Features and reticle. Features and reticle.

Have a 5-20US T3 Illuminati on my SR25. Almost perfect for NV and Thermal clip-ons.

Very satisfied.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I’ve had 3 (maybe 4?) S&B520US in the past in different reticles, and I’ve had a ZCO420. I ran the ZCO420 in a national level NRL match and it didn’t hold me back one bit vs all the other full sized scopes.
I’d 100% recommend the ZCO over the S&B US series. Eye box is easier, glass is definitely better. CA can be noticed on the 520US vs I couldn’t get any on my zco420. I also think the feature set is better on the ZCO and customer service is just in Idaho vs when I had to send in one of my 520US for a total erector replacement I had to send it to Virginia to possibly forward it back to Germany. Turn around time would be much longer.