• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Scope mounting tolerances

Ryguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
Las Vegas
I just mounted a scope with an electronic level. After getting both the rifle and scope level to zero degrees, I tightened the screws. After tightening the screws, I found a .2 degree difference. How much is too much and does .2 make a difference?

What distance do you plan on shooting out to?

As far as the .260 Remington will shoot. The matches I attend are maxed at 1200, and that is rare. Mostly, 780 and below. There is more than enough land in Clark County, NV to test the limits of the .260. Hell, they used to set off nukes right down the road. In a way, we are blessed to have such open space.

Once you know it is not straight it is annoying.
I mounted one today. Used 3 levels, a picture leveling laser and a long weighted string. I spent all afternoon.
I recommend leveling rifle and locking to that. Level scope. Leave levels in place as you tighten and do so incrementally. If rifle and scope are level and reticule is spot on leveled laser line you have confidence it is correct. Torque to 15 inch pounds with the entire set up in place.

Personally I wouldn't worry about that little of a difference. As long as you are reasonably close to level the errors from wind calls, etc are going to have a higher degree of magnification at those distances. If were were talking degrees, I'd say definitely take a closer look at getting it dialed in more.

I've gone to just using the bubble level that's in the Spuhr base as it gets me plenty close enough when using metal shims under the turret to level the scope to the base.

Same issue. I mounted a new scope earlier today. I mounted scope w/ leveling kit, mounted a bubble level & it looked about as close to perfect w/ leveling kit & bubble level as the naked eye could determine. I used a digital laser level & it showed .02 - .1 away from perfect. Is this not close enough?