• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

scopes and recoil

sloporsche

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2024
panama city beach florida
My LGS sales person said it is just a matter of time before the scope [any] needs factory work because I shoot a 300 win mag . I am slowly turning my old browning A bolt away from hunting and start banging a gong at 300 yards . It has a pentax 3x9 now that has survived godzilla killer heavy loads [500 maybe ] and my plan is to put 200/300 a year on the range only . I am looking to up scope but the crazy number /types of models is very confusing to an old fudd ....the more i research the more " you better watch out for......" warnings i get .

I have seen some of the cheapest Chicom scopes hold zero over years while some high end stuff has lost zero doing the same. Scopes are such a crap shoot. Someone will be along to say otherwise, another to agree. Just be sure any scope you get has a good warranty with it.
I had a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10 that lasted over 5k rounds over 2 rifles in high country hunting and shooting to 1200 yards. When i say lasted, I merely mean I opted to get a better scope. The guy that bought it from me still uses it for the same purposes I did and has almost double the rounds. I also had 2 other much more expensive scopes fail from range use.

Reactions: diverdon
yeah ignore that LGS person. quality scopes don't randomly "need factory work" no matter if its on a 22LR or a 37XC. but any scope no matter price range or manufacturer can certainly go down randomly. it's a mechanical device they break.

what's your budget and intended purpose? 99% of people here don't shoot anything at all even close to a Pentax 3-9x40

note that your barrel is probably going to be shot out and need replacement pretty soon

Reactions: R_A_W
I have seen some of the cheapest Chicom scopes hold zero over years while some high end stuff has lost zero doing the same. Scopes are such a crap shoot. Someone will be along to say otherwise, another to agree. Just be sure any scope you get has a good warranty with it.
I had a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10 that lasted over 5k rounds over 2 rifles in high country hunting and shooting to 1200 yards. When i say lasted, I merely mean I opted to get a better scope. The guy that bought it from me still uses it for the same purposes I did and has almost double the rounds. I also had 2 other much more expensive scopes fail from range use.
that is what the guy said at my LGS .....its a crap shoot

yeah ignore that LGS person. quality scopes don't randomly "need factory work" no matter if its on a 22LR or a 37XC. but any scope no matter price range or manufacturer can certainly go down randomly. it's a mechanical device they break.

what's your budget and intended purpose? 99% of people here don't shoot anything at all even close to a Pentax 3-9x40

note that your barrel is probably going to be shot out and need replacement pretty soon
Budget is open , purpose now is turning it into a metal plate range queen @ 300 yards . The pentax was the only choice at the time [40 years ago in a rush] i had wanted a redfield wide view . All i want is very good vision ,very good cross hairs in the sight picture , some more power for old eyes . I do not want one that talks to a cellphone or has weather reports in a window .