• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

scopes and recoil

sloporsche

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2024
panama city beach florida
My LGS sales person said it is just a matter of time before the scope [any] needs factory work because I shoot a 300 win mag . I am slowly turning my old browning A bolt away from hunting and start banging a gong at 300 yards . It has a pentax 3x9 now that has survived godzilla killer heavy loads [500 maybe ] and my plan is to put 200/300 a year on the range only . I am looking to up scope but the crazy number /types of models is very confusing to an old fudd ....the more i research the more " you better watch out for......" warnings i get .

I have seen some of the cheapest Chicom scopes hold zero over years while some high end stuff has lost zero doing the same. Scopes are such a crap shoot. Someone will be along to say otherwise, another to agree. Just be sure any scope you get has a good warranty with it.
I had a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10 that lasted over 5k rounds over 2 rifles in high country hunting and shooting to 1200 yards. When i say lasted, I merely mean I opted to get a better scope. The guy that bought it from me still uses it for the same purposes I did and has almost double the rounds. I also had 2 other much more expensive scopes fail from range use.

Reactions: diverdon
yeah ignore that LGS person. quality scopes don't randomly "need factory work" no matter if its on a 22LR or a 37XC. but any scope no matter price range or manufacturer can certainly go down randomly. it's a mechanical device they break.

what's your budget and intended purpose? 99% of people here don't shoot anything at all even close to a Pentax 3-9x40

note that your barrel is probably going to be shot out and need replacement pretty soon

Reactions: R_A_W
I have seen some of the cheapest Chicom scopes hold zero over years while some high end stuff has lost zero doing the same. Scopes are such a crap shoot. Someone will be along to say otherwise, another to agree. Just be sure any scope you get has a good warranty with it.
I had a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10 that lasted over 5k rounds over 2 rifles in high country hunting and shooting to 1200 yards. When i say lasted, I merely mean I opted to get a better scope. The guy that bought it from me still uses it for the same purposes I did and has almost double the rounds. I also had 2 other much more expensive scopes fail from range use.
that is what the guy said at my LGS .....its a crap shoot

yeah ignore that LGS person. quality scopes don't randomly "need factory work" no matter if its on a 22LR or a 37XC. but any scope no matter price range or manufacturer can certainly go down randomly. it's a mechanical device they break.

what's your budget and intended purpose? 99% of people here don't shoot anything at all even close to a Pentax 3-9x40

note that your barrel is probably going to be shot out and need replacement pretty soon
Budget is open , purpose now is turning it into a metal plate range queen @ 300 yards . The pentax was the only choice at the time [40 years ago in a rush] i had wanted a redfield wide view . All i want is very good vision ,very good cross hairs in the sight picture , some more power for old eyes . I do not want one that talks to a cellphone or has weather reports in a window .