• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sea level

kcbird

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
TX
This article about sea levels rising mentions several coastal city and different elevations at different locations. ( Galveston had by far the biggest increase. Its 8.4 inches easily outpaced other locations along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, including Charleston, S.C. (7.1 inches); Wilmington, N.C. (7 inches); and Jacksonville and Miami, Fla. (both 6 inches). I may not be a smart man but I thought they were connected. I understand that these waters have different names but to me it looks like one big ass body of water that's connected. Other than tidal influence I don't get it. Miami and Galveston are less than 1k miles apart how in the hell is the ocean level 2.4" different.?

This article about sea levels rising mentions several coastal city and different elevations at different locations. ( Galveston had by far the biggest increase. Its 8.4 inches easily outpaced other locations along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, including Charleston, S.C. (7.1 inches); Wilmington, N.C. (7 inches); and Jacksonville and Miami, Fla. (both 6 inches). I may not be a smart man but I thought they were connected. I understand that these waters have different names but to me it looks like one big ass body of water that's connected. Other than tidal influence I don't get it. Miami and Galveston are less than 1k miles apart how in the hell is the ocean level 2.4" different.?

when the preface is a lie, nothing really has to make sense.

water is self leveling as far as i know. on the other hand, land can sink.

GALVESTON, Texas — Researchers say the Gulf Coast is sinking at an alarming rate.

That's according to a new study that was published in the journal Nature on Wednesday. The news raises flooding concerns around Galveston. Researchers also included the areas around Freeport, Corpus Christi and southern Louisiana.

The researchers said a few things could be to blame, including the extraction of resources from the ground. They also cited seismic activity and soil compaction.

The thousand islands of the Bahamas are the tops of an ancient coral reef in their entirety. They're all flat. They are riddled with caves and channels that all lead out into the ocean. My family has had a place on North Andros since the early '60s. It's about a half mile from the beach in the woods. The foundation is literally sitting on the rock of the ancient reef. Walk into the woods in any direction that there are saltwater holes everywhere that go up and down with the tide. The storm surge from a hurricane is caused by wind, not the moon, so we have never flooded even in a hurricane. The land crabs sit in the holes during the day, and run around at night to feed (lots of fun to catch them at night and they're huge and delicious). There is VERY little tide in the Caribbean. It's one of the most constant seas in the world.

I've been running around there my whole life. The water level is exactly where it was when I was a kid, high tide is about an inch below the top of the rock. It hasn't moved at all since I've been looking at it since the '70s, and if it did our place would be under water almost immediately. It's hard to tell what's happening on the beach. It's a lot easier to see what it has actually done inland and in ocean holes. There are a couple of famous ones very close to our place where Jaques Cousteau did his special on them. It simply ain't happenin'. As I said, if it was I would be the first to know, because we are literally at sea level and have been for 80 years. It is all a total crock of bullshit and about as far from "science" as you can get.

The communists know it too. Why would the Obama's buy beachfront, Martha's Vinyard if they actually believed any of it? Are you stupid? Probably. Are they? In the immortal words of Wreck it Ralph, "To that I say, HA, and no..."

If the sea levels are rising, why are all the climate psychos and politicians buying beachfront property on Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket and California’s coast?

IMG_0851.jpeg

“If I pay more taxes, the potato will make the weather gooder!”

Sirhr

It all depends on the day and time of measurement. When Stacy Abrams goes swimming the water level is higher.

I don't buy into any climate change bullshit, it's all about money. Hey genius its the same pool of water how in the hell are you getting different measurements? It's like saying the water at the south end of Lake Michigan is a different level than the north end. Last time I checked water is fucking level.

I don't buy into any climate change bullshit, it's all about money. Hey genius its the same pool of water how in the hell are you getting different measurements? It's like saying the water at the south end of Lake Michigan is a different level than the north end. Last time I checked water is fucking level.
^^^ so you are saying the earth is flat?

;-)

Sirhr

Been doing dock permits for about 20 years now, and I have not seen mean high water change over that time period and my data comes from Tidal Monuments and NOAA.

Reactions: diverdon
The Earth IS getting warmer. We are literally less than a millenia out of an 11,000 year ice age, which is the coldest the planet has ever been (with our full atmosphere) with what we can tell. Most logically this is tied directly to the solar cycle, which doesn't even enter in to the dystopian world of environmentalists. They just ignore it like it didn't matter.

Clearly there are feedback loops that we don't fully understand, or the sea level would be ever rising and fast. One strong hypothesis is that the snow fall (that eventually becomes ice) on the ice caps increases as the temperature increases and there is more heat trapping water vapor in the atmosphere. None of this is fully understood as our atmosphere is the largest and most complex system that is observable by mankind. Reducing it all down to a trace gas is ridiculous on it's face, period. Anyone who believes that is so far from actual science and reality it's ridiculous.

The Earth IS getting warmer. We are literally less than a millenia out of an 11,000 year ice age, which is the coldest the planet has ever been (with our full atmosphere) with what we can tell. Most logically this is tied directly to the solar cycle, which doesn't even enter in to the dystopian world of environmentalists. They just ignore it like it didn't matter.

Clearly there are feedback loops that we don't fully understand, or the sea level would be ever rising and fast. One strong hypothesis is that the snow fall (that eventually becomes ice) on the ice caps increases as the temperature increases and there is more heat trapping water vapor in the atmosphere. None of this is fully understood as our atmosphere is the largest and most complex system that is observable by mankind. Reducing it all down to a trace gas is ridiculous on it's face, period. Anyone who believes that is so far from actual science and reality it's ridiculous.

You sound un-vaxxed!

;-)

Sirhr

I understand that it's tough to believe that there is any good science being done when there's so much bad science being done. The medical field totally tanked it's credibility over that past few years. But there is plenty of good science being done. The problem is that the good science is too often leaveraged by influencers for emotional hyperbole. That't tean-girl emotionalism needs to be riculed.

WRT the sea level in the Gulf...Varying subsidence (probalby described in @theLBC link above) can easily explain the differences. Another potential issue is the effects of local sea floor topography and the local weather variations during the measurement period on the measurements. Furthermore, anyone that says water is flat ... or same body of water had a limited understand of how the planet works, hasn't seen a wave, tide, or storm surge. Lake Michigan has measureable tides, 2x per day just like the north Atlantic, the amplitude just isn't as big as you'd see on NOAA Chart 13253.

I understand that it's tough to believe that there is any good science being done when there's so much bad science being done. The medical field totally tanked it's credibility over that past few years. But there is plenty of good science being done. The problem is that the good science is too often leaveraged by influencers for emotional hyperbole. That't tean-girl emotionalism needs to be riculed.

WRT the sea level in the Gulf...Varying subsidence (probalby described in @theLBC link above) can easily explain the differences. Another potential issue is the effects of local sea floor topography and the local weather variations during the measurement period on the measurements. Furthermore, anyone that says water is flat ... or same body of water had a limited understand of how the planet works, hasn't seen a wave, tide, or storm surge. Lake Michigan has measureable tides, 2x per day just like the north Atlantic, the amplitude just isn't as big as you'd see on NOAA Chart 13253.
You misspelled government financed "science".

R

I don’t think the water is rising, the barrier island is eroding away. They import sand to the beaches to prolong the inevitable.
Damming/ diverting the rivers probably hasn’t helped

All the garbage and bodies in the ocean is whats causing the slightly elevated sea levels. That’s why it isn’t the same at different places around the world. Some places have more garbage, some have more crime.

The moon causes tides in almost any body of water because of the difference in distance between the earth’s closest and furthest point from the moon’s center of gravity. The gravity well gets stronger the closer you are to its center. It pulls harder on the water closest, and least on that water furthest away. The larger the body of water and its relationship to the moon’s position determines tide. the sun doesn’t do this because it is so massive and so far away there’s almost no difference between the closest and furthest point, but the moon is close and small, so there’s a big difference.
IMG_0757.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jakelly
Only to a point. Believe gravity plays a part. Explain the curvature in oceans? It is my understanding a water level (device), has to be corrected past 1/4 mile (and beyond) as that water body will no longer be horizontal.
Is that because the earth isn’t round but rather is an ellipsoid?

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Land sinks.

Anyone seen all the stuff in Cali that's sunk 10+ feet as they pump aquifers dry and move to the next one?

There was a big story years ago on how you needed to drill 1000'+ to find consistent water in areas that used to be 100'. Turns out, you can't just keep stealing water from a desert. We have to either conserve, or limit populations. Deserts don't support millions of people unless you bring the water in from somewhere.

Land sinks.

Anyone seen all the stuff in Cali that's sunk 10+ feet as they pump aquifers dry and move to the next one?

There was a big story years ago on how you needed to drill 1000'+ to find consistent water in areas that used to be 100'. Turns out, you can't just keep stealing water from a desert. We have to either conserve, or limit populations. Deserts don't support millions of people unless you bring the water in from somewhere.
Or you build some huge damns on some rivers and don't waste billions of acre feet of water trying to get the colorado river to run to the ocean again.

Well the earth has been warming since the last ice age. That’s not news to any real scientist, and the sea level changes all the time. So don’t panic. We are measuring sea levels and temperatures planet wide now using satellites, so some of this hysterical B.S. will go away as real data begins to accumulate over time. Until then have a look at Plymouth Rock (thank you @sirhrmechanic and @Fig ) or look at the Battery readings in New York (you can also see similar readings from 140 stations covering ~1850–present), see below. Basically a couple of millimeters per year over the last 100 years.

And if you want the full story on what we know, what we don’t know, and what is a flat lie, from a real scientist, read Dr. Koonin’s book (second link below). Warning: You’ll be mad after you read
It.

The thousand islands of the Bahamas are the tops of an ancient coral reef in their entirety. They're all flat. They are riddled with caves and channels that all lead out into the ocean. My family has had a place on North Andros since the early '60s. It's about a half mile from the beach in the woods. The foundation is literally sitting on the rock of the ancient reef. Walk into the woods in any direction that there are saltwater holes everywhere that go up and down with the tide. The storm surge from a hurricane is caused by wind, not the moon, so we have never flooded even in a hurricane. The land crabs sit in the holes during the day, and run around at night to feed (lots of fun to catch them at night and they're huge and delicious). There is VERY little tide in the Caribbean. It's one of the most constant seas in the world.

I've been running around there my whole life. The water level is exactly where it was when I was a kid, high tide is about an inch below the top of the rock. It hasn't moved at all since I've been looking at it since the '70s, and if it did our place would be under water almost immediately. It's hard to tell what's happening on the beach. It's a lot easier to see what it has actually done inland and in ocean holes. There are a couple of famous ones very close to our place where Jaques Cousteau did his special on them. It simply ain't happenin'. As I said, if it was I would be the first to know, because we are literally at sea level and have been for 80 years. It is all a total crock of bullshit and about as far from "science" as you can get.

The communists know it too. Why would the Obama's buy beachfront, Martha's Vinyard if they actually believed any of it? Are you stupid? Probably. Are they? In the immortal words of Wreck it Ralph, "To that I say, HA, and no..."
Great story .. so when can we come over?

and so we can see what bullshit the media will peddle, even though the story i posted was 3 months earlier on april 7.
btw, venice is also sinking.

Galveston sea levels rising faster than almost anywhere else, study finds​

At least things on track for island to become "Venice of the South."​

By Chris GrayMay 6, 2024

i think it is fat people?

And of all the locations recorded in the study, Galveston had by far the biggest increase. Its 8.4 inches easily outpaced other locations along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, including Charleston, S.C. (7.1 inches); Wilmington, N.C. (7 inches); and Jacksonville and Miami, Fla. (both 6 inches). The Post’s data jibes with a NASA study last year that found sea levels on the island could rise as much as 18 inches by 2040, according to the Galveston County Daily News; and see more than 200 days of flooding per year a decade after that.

Last edited:
and so we can see what bullshit the media will peddle, even though the story i posted was 3 months earlier on april 7.
btw, venice is also sinking.

Galveston sea levels rising faster than almost anywhere else, study finds​

At least things on track for island to become "Venice of the South."​

By Chris GrayMay 6, 2024

i think it is fat people?

The army’s fault…. Dey’s too fat!

Sirhr

Where I live in Coastal South Florida, the Sea Level hasn't necessarily risen, but erosion has taken off explosively. Some spots along the beach in my area have lost at least 10 feet of sand vertically. So, some would interpret this as the sea level rising because they're ignorant to what is actually taking place. I'm not one to poo poo science and do believe the world climate is getting warmer. This happens in cycles throughout our World history, even millions of years prior to us even existing, let alone harnessing combustion and using fossil fuels. However, I do believe that we are certainly not helping the situation as we go through yet another warming cycle away from a previous ice age.

The planet Earth is a complicated creature. Many things take place that your average person is unaware of. Our rotational axis is tilted 24 degrees from vertical which causes our changes of season as we revolve around the Sun. The Earth also has procession, meaning that it wobbles. Every 20 thousand years, it completes one full wobble around it's axis. This causes, over time, the position of the North Star "Polaris" (the only star in the sky which doesn't appear to move) to change. In ten thousand years, the only star in the sky that doesn't appear to move will be Vega. This is due to our rotational axis pointing at a different star as we slowly complete another wobble.

This also changes our climate cycles every few thousand years by producing either longer "Summers" or "Winters" depending on which part of the Earth is now tilted toward the sun more as it completes a wobble. As I said, climate change has been cycling back and forth for millions of years but I do think we are probably giving the current warming cycle a nudge.

The problem is that now that we occupy this Planet, in true Human fashion, our ego dictates that we become the all important center of attention. This is a survival mechanism, for without it, we would die.. The problem is that most have become absent of the ability to provide for their own basic needs without assistance or money. It wasn't very long ago at all that we didn't have cars or electricity and we did just fine for the thousands of years prior.

If our power goes out here or the economy starts taking a shit, or fear induced pandemics arise, what do people do? They run and buy all of the toilet paper they can find. That's all they've got.

The gulf coast shores and marshes started eroding when they put levees all along the Mississippi River, preventing it from going through its normal flood cycle. The government itself is to blame for Galveston Island, and all the gulf coast, “sinking”. But they’re making us pay for it, by making us believe that we are the problem.

Yeah, that trace gas that happens to be plant food.

I went to school and learned some science way back in the before times, many moons ago.

water + CO2 -> plant with sunshine - sap + O2. The only that can change is not a fundamental change in physics but greedy lazy thieves masquerading as "communists."

The gulf coast shores and marshes started eroding when they put levees all along the Mississippi River, preventing it from going through its normal flood cycle. The government itself is to blame for Galveston Island, and all the gulf coast, “sinking”. But they’re making us pay for it, by making us believe that we are the problem.
We also have them to blame for the destruction of the Everglades here in Florida due to the building of levees around Lake Okeechobee. They built the levees and started pumping the water from the Lake into the Everglades to prevent the lake from flooding into previously unpopulated areas during hurricanes. Now were spending millions of our tax dollars to try to repair what they screwed up.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka