• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Serviceable suppresor

dega37

Private
Minuteman
How important is it that a suppressor be serviceable? I haven't owned a suppressor before so I am not sure if cleaning will be necessary. I have read that some clean and some don't, but given enough use, I would think that it would be necessary to clean. Perhaps the suppressor will have passed it's effective life at that point? Would the round used, have an effect on this? Thanks for the info.

Re: Serviceable suppresor

Ditto, 22's can's really need to have the option for cleaning,you would not believe the ammount of crud that builds up after a few hundred rounds.
Centerfire pistol, just have to watch your ammo, buy or load clean burning powder and bullet combo's and you will be fine..
Centerfire rifle, fire and forget.

I agree that only .22lr suppressors need to come apart for cleaning. However, a lot depends on how the user is using the product. For example, a guy shooting bolt-action rifles might be just fine for many tens of thousands of rounds before enough buildup caused a noticeable degradation in sound performance. But the guy shooting a short barrel MG might not make it through a good weekend without cleaning the lead out of the suppressor.

Take-apart suppressors don't just allow you to take them apart for cleaning - they REQUIRE it. Some people frankly don't want to hassle with it.

Pick the right tool for your job.

All that said the two .22lr suppressors I use most often are both take-apart designs. I like having user-serviceable products to extend the life expectancy.

Rifle suppressors will get carbon fouling; some of which will be near impossible to get out. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through various rifle suppressors and rarely if ever "clean" them. You can soak them in lacquer thinner to remove some of the deposits. Flush with water and blow out with compressed air.

Avoid shooting exposed lead projectiles in pistol-caliber suppressors if your host weapons require a booster in the suppressor. Lead accumulation adds weight to the suppressor which changes the timing of the piston assembly and can cause damage to the host or suppressor.

I took my Shark apart after 1000 rounds, I'm on the fence weather I'll do it again, I shoot .223 .260 and .308 through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took my Shark apart after 1000 rounds, <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm on the fence weather I'll do it again</span>, I shoot .223 .260 and .308 through it. </div></div>

Why is that?

Mufflers on your cars/trucks don't need maintenance, center fire rifle suppressors are the same, I gained no performance from cleaning, plus I think the reasons most are sealed is 1. The manufacture doesn't want you to see how cheap there parts are and 2. Some people are too f%*king stupid to put them back together correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I stayed at a Holiday Express last night. </div></div>

Hahahahaha!! Well played my friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mufflers on your cars/trucks don't need maintenance, center fire rifle suppressors are the same, I gained no performance from cleaning, plus I think the reasons most are sealed is 1. The manufacture doesn't want you to see how cheap there parts are and 2. Some people are too f%*king stupid to put them back together correctly. </div></div>

From what I've seen,#1 is the last problem you worry about with a Shark.I can't wait to get one for my 338

No centerfire can needs to open.

All centerfire cans can be much more precise in their bore if they don't.

All centerfire cans should use front-purge baffles, allowing for materials to be ejected out the core bore. These very same baffles are low pressure as well, a desired spec.

Some .22 cans can take 1,000's of rounds and be cleaned without opening the cans. Always shoot .22 that have copper washed bullets. Most .22 subs use filthy powder, avoid them.

Even if your can opens, the issue is "how often should you clean?", the answer is....dirty cans are quieter in every instance. In short, one hardly ever (as in just short of never) cleans a wet can. One rarely cleans a dry can as they too are MUCH quieter dirty.

I have personally seen .22 cans (sealed) with over 10K rounds through them (good ammo) that performed perfectly well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

No centerfire can needs to open.

All centerfire cans can be much more precise in their bore if they don't.

All centerfire cans should use front-purge baffles, allowing for materials to be ejected out the core bore. These very same baffles are low pressure as well, a desired spec.

Some .22 cans can take 1,000's of rounds and be cleaned without opening the cans. Always shoot .22 that have copper washed bullets. Most .22 subs use filthy powder, avoid them.

Even if your can opens, the issue is "how often should you clean?", the answer is....dirty cans are quieter in every instance. In short, one hardly ever (as in just short of never) cleans a wet can. One rarely cleans a dry can as they too are MUCH quieter dirty.

I have personally seen .22 cans (sealed) with over 10K rounds through them (good ammo) that performed perfectly well.

</div></div>

RollingThunder51, I am curious what .22lr suppressors do you own? What kind of personal first-hand experience do you have with various .22lr suppressors? Just curious.

The advise was meant to be general, not your typical pissing match.

You asked, over 20 years, lots of them, sealed and crackers. I've owned them since Sionics. I've had the same Ultra II (upgraded once) for about 20 and have yet to clean it. I have yet to hear a quieter .22 bolt than the Ultra IIs. Amphibians SS is a favorite. For the record, just saw an 80,000 (Eighty Thousand) round .22 caliber pistol can, Stainless, back from Iraq/Peru on a Walther 99K pistol. 36 grain hollow points exclusively, unit was fully functional. Cleaned without opening and returned. Full auto rated.

Another one, .22 round stainless unit, Federal coated, Pakistan unit 110,000 (one hundred and ten thousand) rounds. Including Remington subsonics (read filthy). Cleaned irregularly, sealed, full auto rated.

"I've worn the grooves out of the slide, silencer was alright" was heard just today.

"Overseas, if I ever needed to clean it, I took a bottle of Dawn Dishwasher Soap and poured the can full, Next morning its like coal pouring out"

Debris being trapped? Crap design. Diffuser build up can be an issue after more rounds than many actually ever shoot.