• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SFP Question

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
I will do my best to explain my question. Not sure if a short answer is possible.

1. I have 5 FFP optics & they are my preference (all mil).

2. I have one SFP optic that I can not part with a Swarovski Z6 2.5 x 15 x 44. Her primary mission, gathering light for hunting application.
Platform: Bolt action 6.5 cm, 20 " barrel. Max ethical shots 300.

3. Rifle is zeroed at 100 with Hornady Blk 140 gr BTHP on 6 power magnification (all good).

4. Here is my question, if I bump my optic magnification up to 15 power at 200 is the point of impact going to rise or fall?

5. I prefer not to get into the weeds about my reticle. This is an optics question not a ballistic question. I have a basic grasp on my 140
flight path.
6. Calling the Dark Lord of Optics.

Center of reticle not affected. Only the regular drop of your bullet will affect the elevation.

If you plan on doing holdovers or holding for wind, you’ll need to know the subtension values at the magnification you’ll be using.

So, if you’re asking if you leave your turrets @ 100yd zero, zoom in at 200, and take a shot at the center of the target......

Your impact would be low. Just like with your FFP

It doesn't matter from my understanding, one of my favorite scopes is a SFP as well that I like to use for hunting.
Until you get into ranging beyond your zero point and higher magnification than it's calibrated for then your subtentions don't align properly.

Center of reticle not affected. Only the regular drop of your bullet will affect the elevation.

If you plan on doing holdovers or holding for wind, you’ll need to know the subtension values at the magnification you’ll be using.
So I should just keep collecting data at each increased level of magnification. While continuing to anticipate gravity having its effect on ballistics?

You impact will be low. Example

Your drop (or Mil/MOA) is set at 10 power to be accurate. If your hash marks are 2 MOA apart at 10 power (same applies to drop reticle) then at 5 power the value is 4 MOA. At 20 it is 1 MOA.

Unless your just asking if you zero at 100 on 6 power and shoot at 200 yards on 15 power. Then yes it will still be low wether you shoot on 6 or 15 due to gravity. But that’s so simple to understand I’m guessing your reference is to a drop reticle or something similar

So, if you’re asking if you leave your turrets @ 100yd zero, zoom in at 200, and take a shot at the center of the target......

Your impact would be low. Just like with your FFP
That is exactly what happened. I did not change anything. Thank you.

That is exactly what happened. I did not change anything. Thank you.

NVM I guess this is what he was asking....yup gravity applies to bullets as well....

So I should just keep collecting data at each increased level of magnification. While continuing to anticipate gravity having its effect on ballistics?

Not really much different than FFP. True your data like normal with turrets or you magnification set to what the manufacturer says is 1:1.

Then it’s just math. Say it’s correct at 20x.

Dope calls for 6mil.

20x = 6mil
15x = 9mi
10x = 12mil
5x = 15mil
(Someone correct my match if I botched this up)
Or moa or whatever. Same idea.

This is for holdovers using reticle. Not turrets

Not really much different than FFP. True your data like normal with turrets or you magnification set to what the manufacturer says is 1:1.

Then it’s just math. Say it’s correct at 20x.

Dope calls for 6mil.

20x = 6mil
15x = 9mi
10x = 12mil
5x = 15mil
(Someone correct my match if I botched this up)
Or moa or whatever. Same idea.

This is for holdovers using reticle. Not turrets

I think he’s asking if he sights in at 100 and shoots at 200 if his impact will be low or high because he zoomed in. Maybe I’m confused as I responded similar to you but I think that’s the question from the op 🧐

The bullets flight path does not know SFP from FFP, the one thing that you should consider is that the point of impact on SFP scopes tends to vary depending on the magnification setting. You should test the scope at different magnification settings to see how good or bad it is. FFP scopes to not have this issue.

I think he’s asking if he sights in at 100 and shoots at 200 if his impact will be low or high because he zoomed in. Maybe I’m confused as I responded similar to you but I think that’s the question from the op 🧐

Yes. Then he asked another question about recording data.