• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Short barreled coyote rifle

Yoteski

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Alright gang, have a question for you. I'm looking to build a shorter barreled rifle to use with my can I finally recieved. I've shot a ton of coyotes with a ton of different production rifles and calibers, but milking the most performance out of barrel length possible is a new game for me.
So, if you guys could point me in the direction for your ideal round with minimum barrel length and maximum performance, I would greatly appreciate it. This will not be a fur gun, have that covered. This will be my calling competition and general stack em' up rifle. Probably do a remage style build unless theres a factory rifle out there i haven't owned that you'd recommend me to chop and thread.

Most any 6.5 would work as well as 243 you are going to give up velocity but for normal song dog ranges it is a wash and dead is dead.

I don't know for sure....18-20"? Just looking for some suggestions.

Alright gang, have a question for you. I'm looking to build a shorter barreled rifle to use with my can I finally recieved. I've shot a ton of coyotes with a ton of different production rifles and calibers, but milking the most performance out of barrel length possible is a new game for me.
So, if you guys could point me in the direction for your ideal round with minimum barrel length and maximum performance, I would greatly appreciate it. This will not be a fur gun, have that covered. This will be my calling competition and general stack em' up rifle. Probably do a remage style build unless theres a factory rifle out there i haven't owned that you'd recommend me to chop and thread.
-
Just built a new Coyote killer for nighttime , .25 x 45 ( .25-223 ) or .aka , .25 Sharps .
It pretty efficient Round and I only using 25.5 grain of powder ( using 16" Barrel ) and suppressor mounted . I got no problems getting an easy comfortable 2800 fps. with 87 grn Speer tnt's . I could even squeeze more Vel.fps out of it but it is running smooth on the brass @ 2800 .
For reloading . there is No trimming on .223 brass or anything else . just neck-up and load .
If a guy not going short on the tube and used a 24" barrel he could get easy 3000+ Vel. out of this Round with 87 grn bullets . If Not wanting to do any Brass workup they do sell new .25 sharps Brass . but the neck-up on Brass it just to easy with cheap and plentiful .223 brass .

If you doing a Remage boltaction. . a guy could take the heavy grn. 257 bullets ( 110 - 120 grn.) and stretch them out in OAL in .223 case, using .223 AICS Mag. compatible modular chassis .

Last edited:
Reactions: Bmaier69
I'm building a 20 inch 6.5-284 norma. I think my next rifle will be a 20-22 6 creedmoor.

I just built my ideal coyote gun last year and it ended up being exactly what I wanted. 18" 22-250 shooting 65gr game kings at 3440-3450 and I love it.

Why not a 5.56 load of Hornady super performance load with 75 gn BTHP(2900 fps). In what ever 16" rifle? I shot a coyote last week out of my 24" mossberg MVP and it was down and out at 75 yards. Dead in 20 seconds, last couple of breaths. Coat wasn't to badly damaged. You could check out there 16" patrol for $500?

You could chop it to whatever length you wanted to with a welded surefire break if you using a suppressor or other break that works with with your can?

Last edited:
I actually have a new Ruger Precision 556 I'll wring out this year. I'm looking for something else to hammer coyotes. Off the top of my head I've shot coyotes with a 17hmr, 22lr, 22 mag, 17 hornet, 223, 220 swift, 22-250, 204, 243, 6mm Rem, 6x45, 6.5 creedmoor, 260, 270, 7 mag, 30-06, 30-30, ...and probably a few others.
I have opinions on every round. However, I just started running my can and want to maximize performance without having an unwieldy stick. Like the idea of the 18" barreled 22-250 or a 6mm creedmoor.

-
Just built a new Coyote killer for nighttime , .25 x 45 ( .25-223 ) or .aka , .25 Sharps .
It pretty efficient Round and I only using 25.5 grain of powder ( using 16" Barrel ) and suppressor mounted . I got no problems getting an easy comfortable 2800 fps. with 87 grn Speer tnt's . I could even squeeze more Vel.fps out of it but it is running smooth on the brass @ 2800 .
For reloading . there is No trimming on .223 brass or anything else . just neck-up and load .
If a guy not going short on the tube and used a 24" barrel he could get easy 3000+ Vel. out of this Round with 87 grn bullets . If Not wanting to do any Brass workup they do sell new .25 sharps Brass . but the neck-up on Brass it just to easy with cheap and plentiful .223 brass .

If you doing a Remage boltaction. . a guy could take the heavy grn. 257 bullets ( 110 - 120 grn.) and stretch them out in OAL in .223 case, using .223 AICS Mag. compatible modular chassis .

That sounds like a cool little rifle!
I've considered necking a .223 up to .257, just keep getting stuck @ .243. And/or Ackley-ing them...
That said, I did have a 6.8SPC based .257 caliber wildcat called the .25DTI. It threw a 75Vmax @ 3175 from only an 18" barrel. That thing knocked the crap outta coyotes! You might give the 75Vmax a shot in your .25x45, they'd likely net a bit more speed & flatten your MPBR by a couple yards?

Either way, I like what ya did with the .25x45...have fun!

Nosler 55 from a 20" factory 700 youth pencil barrel in 243. 3727 fps and single digit sd with h4895.
Going to try the 70 gr. Next. Wanted just the action but now will keep it.

Last edited:
That sounds like a cool little rifle!
I've considered necking a .223 up to .257, just keep getting stuck @ .243. And/or Ackley-ing them...
That said, I did have a 6.8SPC based .257 caliber wildcat called the .25DTI. It threw a 75Vmax @ 3175 from only an 18" barrel. That thing knocked the crap outta coyotes! You might give the 75Vmax a shot in your .25x45, they'd likely net a bit more speed & flatten your MPBR by a couple yards?

Either way, I like what ya did with the .25x45...have fun!
-
Ya for sure I think the 75 vmaxs would squeeze little more Vel . out the .25 & I still might work that load up . Probably could squeez 2900 vel using them with bumping up to 26+ grn powder .

This 16" .25-223 build pretty short and I also have fold stock also, so it nice and short length on the packing .
I hunted coyote for several years using .223 and 50 grn. vmax on 24" barrel 3300 fps . but ( for me ) I really prefer a larger Diam. bullet especially for nighttime , as every shot is closer range usually . I like necking the .223 parent case, it efficient on powder burn with giving energy, practical and also gives little expanding muzzle gas for suppressor to handle .

My coyote rifle is a 16" 6.5x47L shooting 123amax at 2750fps
IMG_2063.JPG

The 6x45 hits a coyote harder than its parent .223. I'm sure your .25x45 does the same!
My 6x45AI is more than adequate, day or night.. Heck, all I use is a flashlight & have no problem with <200yd shots. Most are 1/2 that...

If my AO were muffler friendly, I'd prolly knocked a couple more inches off. But as it sits now @ 22", I'll take the extra fps...

Good hunting!

Take a look at a 6.5 grendel. Im getting 2567 fps with 123gr edl's and similar velocities with the 123gr SSTs with my 20" shilen barrel. Hit steel out to and a little past 1000 and will kill a yote out to 500. Mine is obviously in an AR platform but a 6.5 grendel in a bolt gun would be awesome. I also have a 20" tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor that has no problem reaching out.

Hmmm, just had this vision of a Ruger Precision 6mm creedmoor chopped down to 18-20" with a long MI handguard on it.

The 6x45 hits a coyote harder than its parent .223. I'm sure your .25x45 does the same!
My 6x45AI is more than adequate, day or night.. Heck, all I use is a flashlight & have no problem with <200yd shots. Most are 1/2 that...

If my AO were muffler friendly, I'd prolly knocked a couple more inches off. But as it sits now @ 22", I'll take the extra fps...

Good hunting!
-
the .25 hits harder than the .224 and No debate that 6x45 hits hard and is the king for speed and efficiency w/ BC, if Necking the .223 Case .

Going short 16" barrel .Then trying to find a fix that a guy can live with . Balance between bullet Diam., Bore Diam. your shoving the pressure down, and volume of powder you are burning is not as easy as it sounds .
That's the whole Rub about wanting to go ' short ' barrel,
Loss of Velocity when chopping down the tube length . And then trying to counter your lost speed with changing speed of powder burn rate . Or guys trying to play catch-up by simply trying to cram in more powder in the case for quick dirty fix . What a guy can be satisfied with ?

-
the .25 hits harder than the .224 and No debate that 6x45 hits hard and is the king for speed and efficiency w/ BC, if Necking the .223 Case .

Going short 16" barrel .Then trying to find a fix that a guy can live with . Balance between bullet Diam., Bore Diam. your shoving the pressure down, and volume of powder you are burning is not as easy as it sounds .
That's the whole Rub about wanting to go ' short ' barrel,
Loss of Velocity when chopping down the tube length . And then trying to counter your lost speed with changing speed of powder burn rate . Or guys trying to play catch-up by simply trying to cram in more powder in the case for quick dirty fix . What a guy can be satisfied with ?

Think of it this way.
The same pressure working on a larger surface area will do more 'work'.
Consider an 8" hydraulic piston @ 1000psi. Then consider that same 1000 psi behind a 10" piston. Which one will be able to do more 'work', and 'work' more efficiently?

That's why stepping up in bore size results in more efficient use of available capacity. You've got the same pressure generated from the parent case, but a step up in bore size increases the surface area for that energy to 'work' on. Hence, more efficient use of that energy. And the fact that more frontal area of the bullet is hitting the critter also makes a difference. More surface area = more energy transferred, just like the piston analogy...

And that's why ya don't lose much, if any speed when throwing the same weight bullet from a larger bore, out of the same length barrel. Heck, my old 20" 6x45 would throw a 70gr bullet as fast as my 20" .223 threw a 65 gr bullet. Same parent case, same barrel length, and little/no loss in velocity with increased bore size. This is why stepping up in bore size will mitigate your 'losses' when chopping barrel length. And that's why your 16" .25x45 makes very good sense!

Naturally, b.c. might suffer when stepping up on bore size with same weight bullets. But that don't mean shit when you killing coyote @ </=200yds...
Good shooting!

Im having a 16" 223 AI built by TS Customs.Should be about perfect for critters with a 75 gr amax.Short and light.

I had this 22 creedmoor built this winter. I wanted to go down to 16" but my smith talked me out of it. He said the shortest he would go is 20" for that size case. He had a 22x47 that started out life at 24" and he chopped it down to 22, then 21, then 16. He said chopping it down to 16 ruined it and couldn't get it to shoot anymore.

It's a 20" 7.7 twist bartlein runnin the Berger 80.5 fullbores at 3400 over 43.0 H4350 into tiny little bugholes.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1493398078.5789.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1493398078.5789.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 64
18" 6.5 CM . Getting 2640fps with 140gr Berger VLD Hunters . Not the lightest rig but I sure do like it .

Attachments

• photo55395.jpg
    photo55395.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 127
  • photo55396.jpg
    photo55396.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 875
Think of it this way.
The same pressure working on a larger surface area will do more 'work'.
Consider an 8" hydraulic piston @ 1000psi. Then consider that same 1000 psi behind a 10" piston. Which one will be able to do more 'work', and 'work' more efficiently?

That's why stepping up in bore size results in more efficient use of available capacity. You've got the same pressure generated from the parent case, but a step up in bore size increases the surface area for that energy to 'work' on. Hence, more efficient use of that energy. And the fact that more frontal area of the bullet is hitting the critter also makes a difference. More surface area = more energy transferred, just like the piston analogy...

And that's why ya don't lose much, if any speed when throwing the same weight bullet from a larger bore, out of the same length barrel. Heck, my old 20" 6x45 would throw a 70gr bullet as fast as my 20" .223 threw a 65 gr bullet. Same parent case, same barrel length, and little/no loss in velocity with increased bore size. This is why stepping up in bore size will mitigate your 'losses' when chopping barrel length. And that's why your 16" .25x45 makes very good sense!

Naturally, b.c. might suffer when stepping up on bore size with same weight bullets. But that don't mean shit when you killing coyote @ </=200yds...
Good shooting!
-
That's a good analogy of Bullet Diam./energy and with pressure push out a Bore hole .

it a shame that .25x45 sharps ( 25-223) never took off . Your limited to about 87 grn bullets in a AR Mag. dimensions but it is really efficient and giving you the energy with a little speed in a short barrel .
I think Sharps did standardized the Cartridge, did a big run of Dies and 100-k of Brass for retail . But they brought it out right about same time back when 6.8spc came out, and also same time AAC & Silvers where doing hardcore marketing and hitting every shooting forum with pushing the 300 BLk.out .
The poor bastards ( .25 sharps ) ..It didn't stand a chance ....LOL

19.5" Remington 700 6 Creed w/Bartlein Barrel. 105 Berger Hyb just shy of 2900 fps. 353 yards, not one step taken.

Attachments

• photo55934.jpg
    photo55934.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 92
Another vote for a 22 Creedmoor. 82 grain Bergers at over 3400 fps in a 25" barrel. I recently chambered a new and will be testing the old barrel for velocity loss here pretty soon. I'm going to hack off an inch at a time and run it over the Magnetospeed and see where the largest loss is found. I had one with a 23" barrel and it was 3400 so I imagine getting down to 20" is quite doable and still have impressive ballistics.

I've got a 20" 6.5 SAUM, Bartlein barrel built on a Tikka action, with a mild load of H1000 it drives a 123 scenar at 3150. It will reach out there

What kind of shooting are you doing? I mean, calling and killing coyotes is not the same everywhere. Calling for fun isn't the same as calling for a contest. It'd sure be easier to give you some accurate advice with some more info. Killing predators is a big part of my income and I've killed them with everything from a .17 to a .300wm. What I use is dependent on the terrain I'm hunting. Post a little more about the kind of shots you're taking and I'll give you some advice that applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of shooting are you doing? I mean, calling and killing coyotes is not the same everywhere. Calling for fun isn't the same as calling for a contest. It'd sure be easier to give you some accurate advice with some more info. Killing predators is a big part of my income and I've killed them with everything from a .17 to a .300wm. What I use is dependent on the terrain I'm hunting. Post a little more about the kind of shots you're taking and I'll give you some advice that applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to make that clear in my opening post; this is a suppressed contest rifle. I've killed a lot of coyotes for a lot of years. Definitely not as many as some, but probably more than most. I've also killed them with a plethora of calibers as I listed earlier. However, first season suppressed coming up and I want to keep the rifle as manageable as possible.
This is snipershide so yeah, I plan on shooting a little ways out from time to time as I did unsuppressed. So in summary, cartridge performance-to barrel length in a reasonable length.

keep it simple then . choose .30 Cal. or 224 Cal. . just chop short a .308 Win. barrel or a 22-250 barrel down short and thread it ( 18 to 22" ) finish length . Run a faster powder like 10x or 3031, with .30 110 vmax or 125's or whatever is compatible for .50 to 55 grn .224's in a 22-250 . And then 'Pack in powder' till your wearing on the Primer Pockets out, and call it good for blasting coyotes .
. ( asking public for opinions ) for a subject that is wide open . wanting Short barrel for suppressed but your not really giving any bounders that you can live with as far as Velocity or the Bullet Diam. or exactly how Short-much your willing to chop the barrel down to length to ? it's never ending and you got to make a choice and go for it .

This will be my short barreled coyote rifle for the next few years. It is an 18" barrel chambered in .223 AI. I haven't got a load for it yet but I hope to shoot 80 ELD's at over 2900 FPS. The suppressor is a Form 1 build I did that is larger in diameter than normal but only adds 5.5 inches to the gun as it slides over the barrel almost 2.5 inches. Suppressor weighs 13 ounces and whole gun with suppressor mounted weighs less than 11 lbs. Also, the action looks a bit strange because it is a left bolt/right port Bighorn TL3. I bet they don't make many in that configuration. It is a very handy length/weight. I think it will do well on coyotes. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1149.photobucket.com\/albums\/o592\/austinbuschman\/IMG_20170504_211056017.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The 6BR, is another candidate for shorter barrel under 20" , in 6mm 14 twist barrel shooting lighter weight bullets like 68 grain I know I was getting a fully complete burn on the powder load out 21 inch barrel with Vithvuori and getting fast speed on the Vel.