• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Should I trade?

Sinocopa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2018
Rapid City, SD
So I'm kinda newish to long range shooting and I recently purchased a Remington 700 long range edition. I also purchased the ESS MDT chassis for it. And has crossfire 2 vortex scope. It is chambered in 300 win mag. In the last couple weeks I have been thinking about trading it in for a bergara b14 6.5 creedmoore. I wanted to get input from anyone that will help me out. Would this be a good trade or not? I have about 1700 or so into the build.

So I'm kinda newish to long range shooting and I recently purchased a Remington 700 long range edition. I also purchased the ESS MDT chassis for it. And has crossfire 2 vortex scope. It is chambered in 300 win mag. In the last couple weeks I have been thinking about trading it in for a bergara b14 6.5 creedmoore. I wanted to get input from anyone that will help me out. Would this be a good trade or not? I have about 1700 or so into the build.
Which Bergara? The HMR as noted is around $900, but their MOA version is around $1600. Unless you are getting the MOA, you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Maybe I had my models mixed up. The "MOA" I described is the "BMP". Which, in 6.5 Creed, runs between $1400-$1600 and the "Long Range" model on a chassis runs for over $2K.

Last edited:
The 300WM is a great and very capable caliber but for general target shooting or competition it is overkill.
Barrel life, ammunition cost and fatigue while shooting would give the edge to the 65 Creedmoor as well.

It has also been my experience that the 300WM has a tendency to pull the pants down on lower end scopes.

If you can make the trade without being upside down on the deal I don't think you will regret it.

Reactions: Sinocopa
6.5 is definitely more pleasant, but bergara hmr can be had for under 900... seems like you’d be leaving a lot of money on the table for a straight trade.
Yeah I figure that I will be leaving some money on the table. I just wanted to see what more experienced shooters think.

Which Bergara? The HMR as noted is around $900, but their MOA version is around $1600. Unless you are getting the MOA, you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Maybe I had my models mixed up. The "MOA" I described is the "BMP". Which, in 6.5 Creed, runs between $1400-$1600 and the "Long Range" model on a chassis runs for over $2K.
The one I was looking at is the B14 HMR 6.5 creedmoore. I have either thought about trading straight up or just selling my gun and purchasing the B14 HMR. I know I wont get what I put into it.

The 300WM is a great and very capable caliber but for general target shooting or competition it is overkill.
Barrel life, ammunition cost and fatigue while shooting would give the edge to the 65 Creedmoor as well.

It has also been my experience that the 300WM has a tendency to pull the pants down on lower end scopes.

If you can make the trade without being upside down on the deal I don't think you will regret it.
Yeah I totally agree with you. I'm trying to get into the PRS game and 300WM is pretty overkill.

So boil it down. You have roughly $1700 into it. Does it have a high round count? If not, you still have most of your money you put into the barrel. The action won't lose you money. In fact, hold your ground if it's been trued. unless you are rolling in the dirt and getting dirt into the action while running it, they don't wear out. Truing it was a positive. If the ESS stock is in "new" condition, you shouldn't lose anything there either. Dies, brass and bullets? They aren't doing you any good if you go with a 6.5

I'm assuming you'll keep the scope? It's not a great scope, especially as @XLR308 pointed out it's more prone to getting it's pants pulled down on the .300. That scope in particular is more prone to getting it's pants pulled down. So, in the meantime hang on to it, unless you get a good trade with it on the rifle as it goes out the door. I highly suggest saving your pennies and buying a better scope.

If you traded rifle for rifle, you'd come out ahead. If you traded your rifle with the ESS stock on it, you'd lose some. Add in the scope and you'd just lose more. If you got a deal on some ammo with the trade and had some cash for a better scope, you'd be alright.

Okay thanks for the great input! I actually went to a couple shops yesterday to see what trade in value I could get and it wasn't anywhere that I would have liked it. I know they have to make money of the gun, but they were low balling me by a quite a bit. I think I might just hang on to this rifle and save my money to purchase a new scope and then a new rifle (Bergara B14 HMR). Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!

Sinocopa,

Unfortunately, the "making money" on the deal to them is a "LOT" of money or no deal. We should have said something before, but selling outright here or on GB, GAm, or GAu, is the way to go. A shop will never give you what it's worth unless you grew up with the owner and/or his kids.

Okay thanks for the great input! I actually went to a couple shops yesterday to see what trade in value I could get and it wasn't anywhere that I would have liked it. I know they have to make money of the gun, but they were low balling me by a quite a bit. I think I might just hang on to this rifle and save my money to purchase a new scope and then a new rifle (Bergara B14 HMR). Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!

It's not so much that they are low balling you in the shops its the simple fact that they can buy it for a much lower price than the consumer can being a dealer. The mark up goes for overhead with whatever margins of profit they can get, some are very reasonable some aren't.
Just don't take it as a personal thing and sell to individuals when possible, you both get a better deal in the long run.

It's no different than a vehicle being traded in. They will not pay close to market value. Not knowing how long it will sit on the shelf, and trying to make money on it

Just hang onto it.... I regret selling any of my guns. Save up and buy the extremely capable HMR 6.5 creedmoor.

Reactions: Sinocopa
Just hang onto it.... I regret selling any of my guns. Save up and buy the extremely capable HMR 6.5 creedmoor.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking. The 300WM will be good for some larger game hunting. I still might sell the MDT ESS chassis to help purchase the 6.5 and that way I still have both rifles.

I’d sell it outright and take the chassis off and sell it separately. Shouldn’t take too bad of a beating.

Gun shops normally offer around half of the total value. So if you think you can get $1400 for it max selling yourself, I bet they offered you in the neighborhood of $700.

Get the Bergara and a little better scope and get to it. You will not regret purchasing a higher quality rifle.

Unless you plan to regularly hunt big game larger than elk at ranges exceeding 400 yards, there's not much reason a 6.5 won't do you better.

The 6.5 will have more or less the same trajectory as the .300 with much less cost, much less recoil, better barrel life, and the Bergara will very likely shoot better than the M700. The only down side is that you have less energy on target, but a 143gr 6.5 ELDX or 140-147 ELD-M (I hunt with ELD-M's) is more than enough to take down elk, deer, antelope, caribou, etc... out to 300-400 if you can toss one in the boiler room.

You're still running .6-.7 ballistic coefficients, you'd be at 2700-2850fps (Very comparable to heavy bullets in a .300wm), but instead of burning 70-75 grains of powder you're looking at 41-45. Match ammo and ELDX hunting ammo is everywhere for the 6.5, I'd hazard to guess more prevalent than .300wm. The long and short of it is that the 6.5 can still be very effectively used for hunting, while being a vastly superior PRS cartridge (recoil recoil recoil! spotting hits/misses is huge). It might not cost as much as what you have into the 700, but I think the B14 is a better rifle. So part it out if you have to, but I think you'll be ahead in terms of comfort and frustration (accuracy) to hop on the B14. Don't take it in the shorts by any means, but for what it sounds like you're wanting to do, the B14 is a much better choice.

Some day you will probably want a long action magnum action for an ELR (ish) rig. A pre-fit barrel that can spin the 230 burgers or 225 ELDMs would get you there for cheaper than you’d think.

Hold on to it if you can, but if it needs to go put the original stock back on and sell the 700 long range and ESS stock separately like patriot07 sugessted.

I’d sell it outright and take the chassis off and sell it separately. Shouldn’t take too bad of a beating.

Gun shops normally offer around half of the total value. So if you think you can get $1400 for it max selling yourself, I bet they offered you in the neighborhood of $700.

Get the Bergara and a little better scope and get to it. You will not regret purchasing a higher quality rifle.
Yeah that is pretty much what they offered me. I think I may part it out and keep the rifle and seal the chassis. It's a great chassis, but I would prefer to go with the bergara over the REM700

Unless you plan to regularly hunt big game larger than elk at ranges exceeding 400 yards, there's not much reason a 6.5 won't do you better.

The 6.5 will have more or less the same trajectory as the .300 with much less cost, much less recoil, better barrel life, and the Bergara will very likely shoot better than the M700. The only down side is that you have less energy on target, but a 143gr 6.5 ELDX or 140-147 ELD-M (I hunt with ELD-M's) is more than enough to take down elk, deer, antelope, caribou, etc... out to 300-400 if you can toss one in the boiler room.

You're still running .6-.7 ballistic coefficients, you'd be at 2700-2850fps (Very comparable to heavy bullets in a .300wm), but instead of burning 70-75 grains of powder you're looking at 41-45. Match ammo and ELDX hunting ammo is everywhere for the 6.5, I'd hazard to guess more prevalent than .300wm. The long and short of it is that the 6.5 can still be very effectively used for hunting, while being a vastly superior PRS cartridge (recoil recoil recoil! spotting hits/misses is huge). It might not cost as much as what you have into the 700, but I think the B14 is a better rifle. So part it out if you have to, but I think you'll be ahead in terms of comfort and frustration (accuracy) to hop on the B14. Don't take it in the shorts by any means, but for what it sounds like you're wanting to do, the B14 is a much better choice.
Yeah I know the 6.5 will work well for hunting. But if I ever want to go grizzly hunting or big game hunting and longer range, it would be nice to have the 300 WM. Has a little more energy at those longer ranges.

If you can afford to sell the chassis and get the Bergara and keep the 700 for now, that’s the obvious choice I think.