• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show Us Your Sticks

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    No not your rifle, calling them a stick is what this month is all about. Let's see your walking sticks or shillelaghs.

Fxjpv11WAAAtQfc

These are mine, the top two are sugar maple, the bottom was a reject piece of Ash from Louisville Slugger that I finished. When I still played softball in a wood bat league I used that as a bat, at 37" it hammered, now it's just a walking stick. For scale those are 12" pavers.
    IMG_1775 (2).JPG

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    No not your rifle, calling them a stick is what this month is all about. Let's see your walking sticks or shillelaghs.

Fxjpv11WAAAtQfc

These are mine, the top two are sugar maple, the bottom was a reject piece of Ash from Louisville Slugger that I finished. When I still played softball in a wood bat league I used that as a bat, at 37" it hammered, now it's just a walking stick. For scale those are 12" pavers.
    View attachment 8153492
    I thought Louisville Sluggers were made of hickory.

Just found this:

WHAT TYPES OF WOOD ARE MLB BASEBALL BATS MADE OF?

Wood baseball bats used in Major League Baseball are generally made from one of three types of wood: maple, birch, or ash. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks, making it important for players to choose the right make for them.
    • Maple wood is the most popular. It is a dense, powerful, and durable wood that packs a bunch but is susceptible to absorbing moisture, causing the bat to become heavier over its lifespan.
    • Birch wood is softer and more flexible, making for a more forgiving baseball bat that also gets more durable the more you use it. However, because the wood is softer, it requires a substantial break-in period before a birch baseball bat is ready for game use.
    • Ash wood is similar to birch in that it is softer, more flexible, and more forgiving. Ash continues to dry out over the life of the bat so it tends to be less durable and not the best choice for players who are not experienced with using wooden baseball bats.
    and this

sabr.org › journal › articleThe Bats … They Keep Changing! – Society for American ...

Nov 20, 2018 · Over the centuries, baseball bat shapes have undergone all kinds of contortions: Bat

Last edited:
    It was hickory for awhile. See post above. Or behind? fuck it, #2
    I know hickory is used in axe and hammer handles, I don't remember every seeing a bat. I think for bats it has the same problem as some maple but worse, it is so hard and so fine grained it would shatter. Birch and ash are nowhere near as hard or fine grained so they flex more.

Reactions: Maggot
    I know hickory is used in axe and hammer handles, I don't remember every seeing a bat. I think for bats it has the same problem as some maple but worse, it is so hard and so fine grained it would shatter. Birch and ash are nowhere near as hard or fine grained so they flex more.
    Hickory only for a short while. Seems like I remember having hickory bats in Little League, but that was 60+ years ago.

I always felt guilty when logging cutting those huge old hickory trees knowing we'd never see the likes of them again.

By trial and error, ash and hickory emerged as the most popular woods for bat-making in the 1870s and ’80s.6 Even though hickory is a very dense, strong wood, ash eventually held the advantage since it has an unusually high strength-to-weight ratio. Physicist Robert Adair, in his book The Physics of Baseball, wrote, “Ash was celebrated in medieval times as the only proper wood from which to construct the lances of knights-errant; an ash lance was light enough to carry and wield and strong enough to impale the opposition.”7 Roger Maris used a 33-ounce ash bat to hit 61 home runs in one season; a hickory bat of the same dimensions would weigh about 42 ounces.8

Manzanita is some really hard wood that grows all over the Tahoe Basin. The problem is it is so hard it ruins tools quickly. I
    Makes beautiful flooring. Burns really ht for firewood.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
    Hickory only for a short while. Seems like I remember having hickory bats in Little League, but that was 60+ years ago.

I always felt guilty when logging cutting those huge old hickory trees knowing we'd never see the likes of them again.

By trial and error, ash and hickory emerged as the most popular woods for bat-making in the 1870s and ’80s.6 Even though hickory is a very dense, strong wood, ash eventually held the advantage since it has an unusually high strength-to-weight ratio. Physicist Robert Adair, in his book The Physics of Baseball, wrote, “Ash was celebrated in medieval times as the only proper wood from which to construct the lances of knights-errant; an ash lance was light enough to carry and wield and strong enough to impale the opposition.”7 Roger Maris used a 33-ounce ash bat to hit 61 home runs in one season; a hickory bat of the same dimensions would weigh about 42 ounces.8

These bats vary greatly in weight, the 37" ash on top is about 38oz, the Louisville Chicago birch bat is only 24oz, the large knob maple is 44oz, the Debeers Outlaw is 42oz, the puny little Louisville 32" ash baseball bat is 28oz.

IMG_1776 (2).JPG

• Love
    Reactions: geek65 and Maggot
    Manzanita is some really hard wood that grows all over the Tahoe Basin. The problem is it is so hard it ruins tools quickly. I have never held a piece of osage in my hands.
    It's what the Plains Indians made their short carbine bows out of. Hardest wood there is once it's dried.

Old Boheminan farmers in Central Texas would make their corner fence posts out of green bois d'arc. Once dried, you can't drive a staple or nail in it.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
    It's what the Plains Indians made their short carbine bows out of. Hardest wood there is once it's dried.

Old Boheminan farmers in Central Texas would make their corner fence posts out of green bois d'arc. Once dried, you can't drive a staple or nail in it.
    I have made numerous selfbows out of bois d'arc. All are still going strong. Super light but really holds the poundage well over time. And that color change is amazing, it just gets better every year.

Though not quite as hard, we had the same problem with oak. Had to dull the point and put a drop of grease or the 20pp would just bend. Even case hardened would break before going in.

Not all that hard but Eastern Red Cedar took the cake, Ive seen 100 year old cedar posts still in the ground.

I have made numerous selfbows out of bois d'arc. All are still going strong. Super light but really holds the poundage well over time. And that color change is amazing, it just gets better every year.
    Pics?

Though not quite as hard, we had the same problem with oak. Had to dull the point and put a drop of grease or the 20pp would just bend. Even case hardened would break before going in.

Not all that hard but Eastern Red Cedar took the cake, Ive seen 100 year old cedar posts still in the ground.
    Cedar fence posts with a heart, a red core in the center, will last 100 years if not laying on the ground. There's a barbed wire fence along a road to my house built before the Depression thats still holds cattle.

Reactions: Maggot and lariat
    Cedar fence posts with a heart, a red core in the center, will last 100 years if not laying on the ground. There's a barbed wire fence along a road to my house built before the Depression thats still holds cattle.
    That stuff is like mesquite that is hanging dead in the air. Tough as hell and beautiful as furniture.

You see old photographs of Indians holding what would appear to be a thin, wooden child's bow and realize that bow could send an arrow through a buffalo.

My sticks are thick and short (that's what she said.) They are made of mesquite and burn quite well in my charcoal-fired grill. I smoke a brisket that would tempt the faith of a vegan.

Reactions: Snipe260
    My sticks are thick and short (that's what she said.) They are made of mesquite and burn quite well in my charcoal-fired grill. I smoke a brisket that would tempt the faith of a vegan.
    Bring some up to Lawton. We can go shoot them I'll buy the beer.

Reactions: Ronws
    I have a long bow or self bow that I have had since I was 12 years old. I don't remember who made it. I have taken a lot of game with it, mostly rabbits, and grouse. My best friend and I both had long bows, mine is wood his was fiberglass (I think made by Wham-O). We shot those so much as kids we got to be deadly accurate with them.

Bison. The buffalo is not a native North American species.

Bison:
    145256.jpg

Buffalo:

th
    Not even going the buffalo route. Talk about something that is born pissed. Super angry from the word go. Much respect and honor goes to them. They are worthy opponents. Mankillers if given the opportunity, especially with a bow. Those who do it with just a stick and string I give huge props. Lions die when these dudes go full throttle. Some of these have been put in Texas by fools with high fences and have killed cattle and bison. In Africa with a bow you are prey. They don’t fuck around.

Reactions: Maggot

I've been to two of Willie's Birthday parties, one back in about 73-74 which was a wild show, all of Austin was partying. The second was about 2005 out at his ranch near Sprouse Springs. Some members of the Dead opened for him. Sadly, it seems Willie got 'Woked'.

Reactions: Ronws
    I've been to two of Willie's Birthday parties, one back in about 73-74 which was a wild show, all of Austin was partying. The second was about 2005 out at his ranch near Sprouse Springs. Some members of the Dead opened for him. Sadly, it seems Willie got 'Woked'.
    Could be dementia.