• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small primer brass with AR10?

supratt96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Has anyone used small primer brass in their large frame ARs? If so, any issues?

Seems like that might extend brass life a little since primer pockets are generally the first thing to go, at least for me.

I had no issues with Lapua SRP creedmoor brass out of mine using a JP HP bolt.

However I hated doing it because I always lose brass so I switched back to Hornady and large primers.

Have you tried using a brass catcher?
Not at a match, I rather not have one attached to the gun in case it causes issues. I do for practice but I never have time to practice anymore.

What caliber and load are you trying to push to require small primers? I'm pushing a light load of 41.2 grains H4350 and 140 on a 6.5 CM. No issues with Hornady brass and large primers.

Not at a match, I rather not have one attached to the gun in case it causes issues. I do for practice but I never have time to practice anymore.

What caliber and load are you trying to push to require small primers? I'm pushing a light load of 41.2 grains H4350 and 140 on a 6.5 CM. No issues with Hornady brass and large primers.

It would be for my JP LRP07, 6.5 Creedmoor. I tried out some Superformance a while back and the load I tried turned out to be pretty hot. Stretched out the primer pockets on some Hornady brass. Got amazing velocity with with it, but the accuracy was just so, so.

I don't use my JP for comps so I don't typically lose brass. Figured if some premium small pocket brass gives me a few more loadings then it would be worth the higher price.