• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

South African Sniper makes 1.3 mile kill.

I wish the story went in the to the kind of weaponry they used. Anybody know anything about the South African Special Forces? ;)

2288 yard kill. No disrespect to anyone defending their Country but reporters will say or write anything to get attention, at least calm it down a little.......I call bullshit.

Last edited:
I have no doubt there are weapons that can reach this distance. The fact that the kill was incidental makes more sense and is believable. At that distance even if the rifle is a sub moa and fired a sub moa round your still looking at a 22 inch target. Now add the variables at that distance and let's say the target will not stand still for you common sense says no. But that is one beast of a rifle!!!! Anti Aircraft Beast

So, if you put a scope on a 155mm howitzer, aim it at a guy 3 miles away, blow him away . . . that makes you a "sniper"???

I have no doubt there are weapons that can reach this distance. The fact that the kill was incidental makes more sense and is believable. At that distance even if the rifle is a sub moa and fired a sub moa round your still looking at a 22 inch target. Now add the variables at that distance and let's say the target will not stand still for you common sense says no. But that is one beast of a rifle!!!! Anti Aircraft Beast

I've hit man size targets at that distance. It requires good conditions and some luck. Its definitely been done and far outside the realm of impossibility.

I've hit man size targets at that distance. It requires good conditions and some luck. Its definitely been done and far outside the realm of impossibility.

Had the privilege of shooting with some very experienced shooters several years back. Set a man sized target 1 mile away. The target was hit by all, including myself but none hit the target the first time without firing less than 5 rounds. It took me 12 rounds but by no means do I consider myself a good shot. Just stating that in the heat of battle the variables multiply themselves beyond any conditions met at the range. Do you go that far out often? I would love to have that type of backyard. Have gone skiing in Sugarloaf when I was younger but I still remember the stunning mountain scenery. Where do you go?

First round hits beyond 1500 are very rare for me (.300 Win). Even for really, REALLY good folks I have to assume that if the walked out and fired one round each day they are less than 50%.

This also requires someone to stand still for @ 2.5 seconds of flight time.

It is all possible, but predictable and repeatable - not likely.

The eye relief on that scope is like 16" I wonder what that's like? how distracting would that be. I do like the bullet drop compensator on the scope mount.

They don't have to stand still for 2.5 seconds. They just have to walk away and move back to the same spot! Or in my case. He would have to run for 2.5 seconds to make it where my bullet was heading hahaha.

Had the privilege of shooting with some very experienced shooters several years back. Set a man sized target 1 mile away. The target was hit by all, including myself but none hit the target the first time without firing less than 5 rounds. It took me 12 rounds but by no means do I consider myself a good shot. Just stating that in the heat of battle the variables multiply themselves beyond any conditions met at the range. Do you go that far out often? I would love to have that type of backyard. Have gone skiing in Sugarloaf when I was younger but I still remember the stunning mountain scenery. Where do you go?

Shooting those distances was only done at Gunsite Academy. With a good spotter, at known distance targets, my hit rate was as follows:
1760 yards: 1st round hit (cold bore.)
1870 yards: 2nd round hit
1980 yards: 1st round hit
2090 yards: 2nd round hit
2200 yards: 4th round hit

Not bragging by any stretch, and yes, at 2200 yards, definitely you need a lot of luck paired with your skill to make a first round hit, but only to say that it is not an impossibility.

I haven't ski'd in years, but sugarloaf is great. There are some areas up there that you can stretch out close to a mile, as long as you don't mind shooting over a road...

Rifle used - Denel NTW-20 14.5x114mm.

I've not heard any rumors that the kill was incidental and it was certainly not mentioned by the individual who confirmed the kill.

Last edited:
2288 yard kill. No disrespect to anyone defending their Country but reporters will say or write anything to get attention, at least calm it down a little.......I call bullshit.

You calling bullshit on the US claimed kills too? Just wondering.

Kill was confirmed from within the community.

At 1 mile+, would a person even be aware that they were being shot at? I'm trying to imagine the sound of the shot breaking (which might seem like someone else's problem at distance, depending on the situation), and what projectile impacts act like at that distance when not on steel (20mm and .50 cal aside). On a wooden structure, it could sound like a 'thunk'. Some poor dope hears an odd sound next to him, stands up, turns toward the rifle report that is just reaching him, walks towards it...

Hell, I've seen people standing around gawking at gunfire way closer than that.

You calling bullshit on the US claimed kills too? Just wondering.

Kill was confirmed from within the community.

I stand corrected. Meant no offense. I have a tendency to doubt reporters from some past experience. Great shot!!!