• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr mounts prone to cracking?

When i had Kahles K624i scopes and Spuhr mounts, i used Kahles torq recomended 2.4Nm torq, that is 1.77 inch pound.
And when i used Vortex Razor HD2 scopes, i used Vortex recomended 2Nm torq, that is 1.47 inch pound.
What scope has 1.8 inch pound recomendation on scope mounting torq?
Now i use ZCO scopes, and there is no one special moment for the scope, but is says.
Overtightening of the scopering cap screws can cause binding of the internal elements of the scope. DO NOT tighten ring cap screws more than 2,8 Nm or 25 in/lbs.
I did not use more than 2.4Nm.

I’ve literally cut thousands of feet of aluminum plate / bar stock and have never encountered what you are theorizing. Bar stock is far more than some aluminum poured in a mold. Research how aluminum bar stock is made and you will see what I’m talking about. Full disclosure I don’t own a Sphur mount and probably never will. It’s just maddening seeing all the bullshit thrown around. Do parts fail, sure. But some of the practices people are using are mostly to blame.
I've personally seen porosity and crap in bar stock.

It's melted with all the ingredients, and generally hot poured into a billet that gets rolled, smashed, extruded, whatever. That doesn't eliminate the foundry having a crap batch with an alloy that is out of spec and includes flaws.

It's melted with all the ingredients, and generally hot poured into a billet that gets rolled, smashed, extruded, whatever. That doesn't eliminate the foundry having a crap batch with an alloy that is out of spec and includes flaws.
How many smelters have you been around?
I'm pretty sure when Sphur puts their order in they know what their doing.
You understand that when making heats that it's by design?
The first pour into a billet is a process to reduce the storage size of raw materials.
I've been around Alcoa a time or two I don't feel safe rolling along side all those semi trucks with them shiny aluminum wheels.

Reactions: Average guy

Not saying it cannot happen but that must have been some shit quality stock. All 6061 from Kaiser or Alcoa has been excellent quality. Most porosity issues will show themselves during welding. Never had a porosity/ contaminated material issue with quality aluminum. I’m sure Sphur contracts/sources higher QC product than I buy from a local metals supplier.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Not saying it cannot happen but that must have been some shit quality stock. All 6061 from Kaiser or Alcoa has been excellent quality. Most porosity issues will show themselves during welding. Never had a porosity/ contaminated material issue with quality aluminum. I’m sure Sphur contracts/sources higher QC product than I buy from a local metals supplier.

Kaiser and Alcoa both use forge presses to manipulate the blooms into final products.
With specialties, they are refined and cast again.

I listened to the podcast covering this. Here are a few thoughts on torque.
1. Follow manufactures torque specs
2. Torque in manufactures tightening sequence. If no sequence provided wot from center of screws out.
3. Once fasteners are torqued check every fastener once for correct torque.
4. Keep the torque wrench in your tool box after this. On click style torque wrenches torque stacking is a very real issue. I work with assemblies that call out torque specs in the thousands of foot pounds. These assemblies are subjected to great forces. Normally there is an initial torque and maybe a retorque after a prescribed amount of time. Then the fasteners are never touched.

Most of the issues with these breakage threads are due the issues outlined in your podcast.
Left out one critical item. The threads need to be wet; oil, loc-tite or whatever.

So there's no specific torque spec for scope rings with the ZC527? I have one on it's way hopefully later this week and it's going in a Spuhr 6002, it'd be nice to have a solid torque spec for the rings. If 25in/lb is the do not exceed maximum spec then I guess I'll back it down to 20in/lb to be safe. @CSTactical do y'all have any suggestions here?

Reactions: CSTactical
So there's no specific torque spec for scope rings with the ZC527? I have one on it's way hopefully later this week and it's going in a Spuhr 6002, it'd be nice to have a solid torque spec for the rings. If 25in/lb is the do not exceed maximum spec then I guess I'll back it down to 20in/lb to be safe. @CSTactical do y'all have any suggestions here?

20 is what I use with all of my Spuhrs. I was using 15, but every match or two I need to retorque. At 20, that issue is gone. 25 is fine for *most* scopes, but some (like some Tangents I've seen) don't like it.

Reactions: tex68w

18-20 works well for us :)

Reactions: tex68w
Left out one critical item. The threads need to be wet; oil, loc-tite or whatever.
I’ve seen a light shipping oil cause a company to buy $60.000 in bolts. Suffice to say follow all recommendations from th manufacturers. Using a dry torque value with that light shipping oil as mentioned above caused 2 1/2” bolts to be broken in half. Depending on the oil a wet torque can be 30-40 percent less. This is somewhere an email/phone call could save you a lot of heartache.

Has anyone seen the new Spuhr mount? Its Ugly (looks like they removed 1/3 of the mount on one side.)