• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor - Any Reviews?

Bravo6

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2018
South Texas
Has anyone tried out the new Steyr Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Am curious on the accuracy, what factory ammo shoots good through it, and any other observations. Am between a Sako/Tikka rifle and the Steyr Scout for hunting down here in South Texas.

I am seriously considering a 223 version of this, I dont mean to derail the thread but info is sparce it seems for both the 6.5 and the 223 versions. As well as the other non 308 chamberings. I would like to know how they fair with the different magazine dimensions etc. I realy want a bolt action internal mag iron sighted 223 to plink with and to take care of some smaller pests but alas very few exist and the scout comes darn close.

Reactions: Bravo6
Necro post, but I’m trying one out if you are still curious.
Ammo availability has been a bit limiting. I’m noticing it will often stack 2 rounds then open up to somewhere between 1 and 1.5 MOA.
I’m getting lower velocity than I would like, and as expected, .308 has an advantage in shorter barrels at closer ranges. I’m getting 2580 for the 143 ELD X. SD is less than 10.
I’m really enjoying the rifle overall, and it has been the easiest gun to make hits with in the field that I have ever used. I put an LPVO on mine, but have a scout scope to try.

Attachments

• A8E42D37-A567-48C6-B14E-628BD5708CB7.jpeg
    A8E42D37-A567-48C6-B14E-628BD5708CB7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 221
  • FD3BD851-7895-4AD1-8E3C-E261960E6522.jpeg
    FD3BD851-7895-4AD1-8E3C-E261960E6522.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 347
Thanks for the review!! I have one in my closet and am thinking of selling it, but I really like the concept. I think stalking animals and having that bipod to shoot on the prone raises my hit probability.

Debating whether to switch back to my Tikka or keeping the Steyr

They are a nice rifle. I used to have a Jeff Cooper edition in .308 and still have one in .376, I’ve not owned one in 6.5 or any other calibers. The built in bipod is an interesting idea but it’s not as robust as a standalone model.

I have a Jeff Cooper edition in .308, it makes a dandy light weight hunting rifle. It seems to me that the 6.5 is designed more for long range shooting, and the scout rifle is more of a short to medium range rifle.
I always thought one in .376 would be awesome!!
DW

The 376 IS awesome, right up to the time you pull the trigger :)
My JC in 308 was aways my primary hunting rifle, loved it. Really wanted the ability to suppress it, so had the bbl changed to one of the new threaded ones (in 6.5, as they couldn't get a 308 bbl from Austria), haven't shot it yet, sadly.
I will say the Steyrs shoot very, very well and are super easy to live with in the field- the sling system is awesome for carrying as well as shooting, the bipod keeps the rifle out of the mud and grass when you are gutting your animal, the safety is pretty cool and easy to use, and the accuracy is superb.