• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Zephyr II Opinions

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I found and handled one today it was used but looked brand new.
    What a magnificent looking rifle with perfect balace although the action seemed very stiff im sure it would slick up with some cycling and use.
    Curious what the 22lr afficianados that have used one or compared to other similar offerings think of them or should i look elswere.
    Seemed to me like a damn near perfect 22lr platform and a classy looking rifle just dont know crap about them and dont recall them ever being mentioned around here.

I had one for awhile but eventually sold it. I sold it because the last round would not feed unless you worked the bolt slow, if not the bolt would ride over the round. What started this issue was the rifle wouldn't eject, I'm talking 100% failure rate and the bolt would cause scrape marks in every bullet it went across. Sent it back to to Steyr and they fixed the ejection issue and bullet scraping but created the feed problem. I shot it single shot for awhile but finally passed it on. I tried steel mags plastic mags, 5 and 10 rounders but nothing made a difference.

Accuracy was good, if you could hold on target, squirrel head shots were easy. It's a fantastic rifle for shooting offhand "to me" the small forearm makes it a really bad bench gun. Shooting groups was very difficult. It would make a terrific "high end, lol" squirrel rifle. The one I had was the prettiest gun I ever owned. I'd like to have another one back someday.

One thing I'd tell you is you can't check ejection with a live or dummy round, the one I had would eject those all day but the one's fired would not. You would be able to check for the bullet scraping if that was allowed by the owner. If you are interested in photos I have them.

I think i read your review of the rifle while digging around for info this morning.
    I would have to agree with it being a very attractive rifle but sounds like it may have a few bugs that are inherent to the design.
    The one I handled seemed like the action was very stiff just curios if yours smoothed out with some use and cycling ?

Mine was always smooth but the bolt closure remained difficult throughout. I'm comparing it to other brands.

Reactions: XLR308
    The bottom metal seemed kind of cheesy to me for a rifle that at first impression seemed there was alot of attention to detail put into it.
    Maybe that is just not picking just seems like it didn't belong on the rifle.

There was a lot of people who didn't like the trigger guard but it didn't bother me. I do believe Steyr could have done better for the price range of the rifle.

Reactions: XLR308
    There was a lot of people who didn't like the trigger guard but it didn't bother me. I do believe Steyr could have done better for the price range of the rifle.

Yeah that's kind of why I said it was a bit of a nitt pick if anything.
    Regardless it is a very nice looking rifle, I'm generally not a fan wood stocks but it was the lines of the stock that initially caught my attention.