• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stock Market

I do not believe there is a single manufacturer of an electric vehicle that recommends you deplete your battery to 0%. Most suggest maintaining a state of charge of no less than 10%-20%. Maybe they are using a different battery chemistry for this purpose or their "0%" is not a true 0%.

Exactly - and even Stellantis is not going to let that pack go completely dead before firing up the ICE generator, even if that's how someone wants to interpret what their CEO said.

Reactions: S3th
“There’s no connection between the engine and the wheels,” he said. “The gas generator is only there to charge the battery.”
That means there is no transmission. Even my house inverter can take solar and/or generator power and feed it directly to the house without having to first pass it through the battery. You said you think it would be hard on the battery to flow "through" it.. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's going to actually work.

Long way from rural Georgia. I am fine with my ICE pickups and Outback. But game changer for Tesla stock if they can sell at $25kish
Appears Elon is trying a "shotgun" approach on options for his businesses.
Not keeping all his eggs in one basket. But when a recession looms many big businesses pull back to their core products.
With all the uncertainties in the world, I tend to follow Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger more often.

Warren Buffett:

“If you aren’t willing to own a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.”​

Charlie Munger:
“Indeed, I have often made myself unpopular on elite college campuses pushing this reliability theme. What I say is that McDonald’s is one of our most admirable institutions. Then, as signs of shock come to surrounding faces, I explain that McDonald’s, providing first jobs to millions of teenagers, many troubled, over the years, has successfully taught most of them the one lesson they most need: to show up reliably for responsible work. Then I usually go on to say that if the elite campuses were as successful as McDonald’s in teaching sensibly, we would have a better world.”

From 1996:

It was a series hybrid back then, it's still a series hybrid today no matter what the CEO says at a press conference.

Once again, this is outdated technology and even Chrysler itself did better over 15 years ago:

While doing a quick search, I found a press release from 2004 announcing the collaboration between DaimlerChrysler and GM on this system. Dammit, this industry is frustrating.

It's more likely to send power directly to the motors and only sending excess to charge battery.
In the Ramcharger’s case, the system combines a 92-kilowatt-hour battery pack with a 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 that acts as a 130-kilowatt generator. Power is sent to 250-kW (335-hp) front and 238-kW (319-hp) rear electric drive modules. Ram engineers took great pains to explain that, unlike the now-dead Chevy Volt, the gas generator in the 1500 Ramcharger is not connected to any of the driven wheels.

In the Ramcharger’s case, the system combines a 92-kilowatt-hour battery pack with a 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 that acts as a 130-kilowatt generator. Power is sent to 250-kW (335-hp) front and 238-kW (319-hp) rear electric drive modules. Ram engineers took great pains to explain that, unlike the now-dead Chevy Volt, the gas generator in the 1500 Ramcharger is not connected to any of the driven wheels.
I ran a very large woodyard for the paper industry - we had multiple giant "front end loaders" that unloaded log trucks (25 tons per bite) and then loaded the wood chipping systems. These giant vehicles had electric motors at each wheel (4 total) and these four large electric motors plus the rest of the hydraulics were driven by a diesel generator. An ICE powered electric vehicle - old technology, this was 50 -60 years old.

“The Ramcharger is not a PHEV,” Kuniskis said. “It’s a battery-electric truck with its own onboard, high-speed charger.”

Uhhh... initial thought is that this going to quickly ruin the battery lol. The 145-mile range battery will be drained to zero then a generator will kick on to charge the battery while also discharging through the battery to power the vehicle. Who would buy this over a hybrid? Guarantee that this will be significantly more expensive than hybrids currently on the market.
Sounds like you have a very tenuous grasp of the basic engineering of such a system. Maybe stick to rah-rah stock market timing.

Sounds like you have a very tenuous grasp of the basic engineering of such a system. Maybe stick to rah-rah stock market timing.
Well, I am correct that it is a PHEV and that draining the battery to 0% would quickly ruin the battery. As the article quotes, nothing I said was incorrect. I am happy to make 50% more than my aerospace engineering older brother so I am happy to stick to my rah-rah stock market timing.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Well, I am correct that it is a PHEV and that draining the battery to 0% would quickly ruin the battery. As the article quotes, nothing I said was incorrect. I am happy to make 50% more than my aerospace engineering older brother so I am happy to stick to my rah-rah stock market timing.
It’s good you are making $$$. You do understand though that an electric drive vehicle with onboard genny does not necessarily require a battery other than starting, correct? Haul trucks are a good example. A major vehicle manufacturer designing a system that destroys a critical part in short order is unlikely.

It’s good you are making $$$. You do understand though that an electric drive vehicle with onboard genny does not necessarily require a battery other than starting, correct? Haul trucks are a good example. A major vehicle manufacturer designing a system that destroys a critical part in short order is unlikely.
I would suggest you read a thread fully before commenting or at least the article.

, the gas generator in the 1500 Ramcharger is not connected to any of the driven wheels.
I would be willing to place a large bet, that the generator, connected to the power control system, which is connected to the wheels, would allow you to charge up from a dead battery and DRIVE at the same time.

Unlike the Lightning, Ram can argue, the Ramcharger won’t run out of juice as long as you have dinosaur juice in the tank.
This statement above, while not from GM also backs my statement... by definition... would have to flow from the generator, through the power control system and to the wheels, without ever hitting the batteries.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Ram engineers took great pains to explain that, unlike the now-dead Chevy Volt, the gas generator in the 1500 Ramcharger is not connected to any of the driven wheels.

I don't know why they would brag about such a thing. The direct-drive mode in the Voltec was the most efficient mode for high-speed travel. Last I checked, we have lots of that in the US.

I would be willing to place a large bet, that the generator, connected to the power control system, which is connected to the wheels, would allow you to charge up from a dead battery and DRIVE at the same time.

This statement above, while not from GM also backs my statement... by definition... would have to flow from the generator, through the power control system and to the wheels, without ever hitting the batteries.
This. I expect reporters and corporate press folks to lack more knowledge than the design team.

It'd be more than a bit surprising if Tesla's biggest contribution to the industry ultimately is their manufacturing process and not their powertrain technology - but I can see hints of that narrative forming in the distance.

Hmmmm..... Imagine that. Budget's are starting to tighten up.

Shares of Sleep Number Corp. tanked 25% in the after-hours session Tuesday after the mattress maker and retailer swung to a surprise quarterly loss, predicted a loss for the full year and said it reached an agreement with a shareholder that had been pushing for change.
It was a “challenging” quarter for Sleep Number

Reactions: NoDopes

TOPLINE​

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway reported a record $157.2 billion cash pile Saturday morning amid a surge in operating profit, as the conglomerate’s shares continue to climb, while its billionaire officials flirt with a potential new major acquisition.

Berkshire Hathaway Investments

Warren Buffett, the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, which boasted a 40% boost in operating earnings.

COPYRIGHT 2018 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

KEY FACTS​

Berkshire Hathaway, whose subsidiaries run the gamut from insurance giant Geico to ice cream chain Dairy Queen, reporteda third-quarter operating profit of $10.76 billion in the period ending September 30, a 40.6% boost from $7.65 billion in the third quarter of 2022.

The Omaha, Nebraska-based company’s cash at the end of September topped its $147.4 billion at the end of the previous quarter, and shattered the company’s previous record of $149.2 billion in the third quarter of 2021.

The company’s performance comes as it takes advantage of rising bond yields, while its soaring cash could enable the conglomerate to make a major purchase — Berkshire vice chairman Charlie Munger told the Wall Street Journal the odds of a big acquisition under his leadership with Buffett are “at least 50/50.”

Berkshire Hathaway also reported a $23.5 billion investment loss in the third quarter, due in part to a quarterly drop in shares of Apple, in which Berkshire owns a minority stake (Apple’s shares have rebounded more than 3% since September 30 and are up more than 41% on the year).
In its statement, the conglomerate also acknowledged its dealings have been impacted by geopolitical conflicts, disruptions to the supply chain, prolonged inflation and “government and private sector actions to mitigate the adverse economic effects of the Covid-19 virus and its variants.”
Forbes Daily: Get our best stories, exclusive reporting and essential analysis of the day’s news in your inbox every weekday.

By signing up, you accept and agree to our Terms of Service (including the class action waiver and arbitration provisions), and Privacy Statement.

TANGENT​

Berkshire Hathaway’s class A stock has climbed nearly 14% year to date, with share prices skyrocketing by more than $64,600. The company’s stock had climbed roughly 6% between June 21 and mid-September to an all-time high of $563,072 on September 19, making it one of the summer’s biggest movers on Wall Street — shares have since fallen roughly 6%, to $534,132.

FORBES VALUATION​

We estimate Buffett’s net worth at $117.5 billion, making the 93-year-old — who has vowed to donate more than 99% of his wealth — the world’s fifth-richest person.

Interesting, more free cash than ever. Planning on major acquisitions, and/or maybe planning for lower stock prices?

Wallstreet Breakfast: Americans' credit card debt swelled $154B Y/Y to a record $1.08T in Q3, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, notching the largest increase since it began tracking household debt in 1999. Interestingly, millennials saw the most credit card delinquencies. "Credit card balances experienced a large jump, consistent with strong consumer spending and real GDP growth," said Donghoon Lee, economic research advisor at the NY Fed. Bankrate analyst Ted Rossman also noted that credit card balances have been increasing faster than any other type of debt amid high inflation and record-high credit card rates, adding that "more people are using credit cards just to get by."

Wallstreet Breakfast: Americans' credit card debt swelled $154B Y/Y to a record $1.08T in Q3, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, notching the largest increase since it began tracking household debt in 1999. Interestingly, millennials saw the most credit card delinquencies. "Credit card balances experienced a large jump, consistent with strong consumer spending and real GDP growth," said Donghoon Lee, economic research advisor at the NY Fed. Bankrate analyst Ted Rossman also noted that credit card balances have been increasing faster than any other type of debt amid high inflation and record-high credit card rates, adding that "more people are using credit cards just to get by."
The Deep State wants the news to focus on the debt of "We the People"..... No focus on the amount of debt the United States of America has.
Debt of the people + Debt of the country = Collapse

Hmmmm..... Imagine that. Budget's are starting to tighten up.

Shares of Sleep Number Corp. tanked 25% in the after-hours session Tuesday after the mattress maker and retailer swung to a surprise quarterly loss, predicted a loss for the full year and said it reached an agreement with a shareholder that had been pushing for change.
It was a “challenging” quarter for Sleep Number

Tempur-Pedic (TSI) numbers looked halfway decent last week, so this strikes me more as a problem with Sleep Number than the segment or the broader market as a whole.

Tempur-Pedic (TSI) numbers looked halfway decent last week, so this strikes me more as a problem with Sleep Number than the segment or the broader market as a whole.
The entire home furnishing group started trending down 6 months ago. Probably keying off of housing fiasco and interest rates. But, those in need can put it on their CC.

DORAVILLE, Ga., June 29, 2023--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Serta Simmons Bedding, LLC ("SSB" or the "company"), a leading global sleep company, today announced that it has concluded its financial restructuring and emerged from Chapter 11, marking the completion of a critical step in the company’s turnaround effort.

The handwriting is on the wall.... Like rats jumping off the sinking ship.

Since last summer, there are new leaders at the Boston, Chicago, Dallas, and Kansas City regional Fed banks. The St. Louis Fed is searching for a new president to replace James Bullard, who left in August.

Don't get too excited, they will probably be Biden's diversity hires.

The Deep State wants the news to focus on the debt of "We the People"..... No focus on the amount of debt the United States of America has.
Debt of the people + Debt of the country = Collapse
This 100 percent!!
The people that were just getting by before the massive inflation wave that has crept in following FJB’s slew of incompetent policies are now stacking up credit card debt. That article is very telling of what we see in the future.
I agree that a collapse is near. Sad

This 100 percent!!
The people that were just getting by before the massive inflation wave that has crept in following FJB’s slew of incompetent policies are now stacking up credit card debt. That article is very telling of what we see in the future.
I agree that a collapse is near. Sad
There will be many factor's to the collapse.
One I was thinking of is "Trust". When a country, like America, loses the financial trust that other countries put in us... It will take 100 years of toeing the line, financially, to build back that trust.
Another is the "Fiat dollar". If America is to survive, the "currency" must backed by something tangible. Not just faith. Crypto is backed by nothing, as we have seen.
Lot's of uncertainty.

My reaction was more so from the market selling off from equities to bonds, haha. Rates did not seem to jump much.

Three weeks ago, shares of Israel-based solar inverter manufacturer, SolarEdge Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:SEDG) crashed spectacularly after the company issued weak guidance for its upcoming third quarter earnings report. SolarEdge said Q3 revenues, gross margin and operating income will all come in below the low end of the company’s prior guidance, citing "substantial unexpected cancellations and pushouts of existing backlog from our European distributors," due to higher than expected inventory in the channels as well as slower than expected installation rates.

A similar playbook played out a week ago after shares of iconic EV manufacturer Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) were badly hammered following the company’s less-than-stellar Q3 Report. The report revealed that Tesla not only missed Wall Street’s earnings estimates but its margins have continued to shrink at an alarming clip, suggesting the EV maker is facing stiff competition.

And now the shorts can smell blood in the water, with dozens of solar and electric vehicle stocks becoming their targets. In the solar sector, Sunrun Inc. (NASDAQ:RUN) and Sunnova Energy International (NYSE:NOVA) are among the top 10 most-crowded securities in treasury and liquidity management platform Hazeltree’s list of the most shorted small-cap stocks while Tesla, alongside luxury EV startups Rivian Automotive (NASDAQ:RIVN) and Lucid Group (NASDAQ:LCID), are among the top 10 most shorted mid- and large-cap stocks in October. Among these names, Sunnova and Lucid Motors have the highest short interest at 30.1% and 25.1%, respectively. For some perspective, the median short-interest among S&P 500 stocks usually falls in the 2.1% to 2.4% range, with small-and mid-cap stocks among the most shorted corners of the market at 2.9% and 3.6% short interest, respectively.

Reactions: NoDopes
This is Jimmy Carter 2.0. Let’s just hope we get Reagan 2.0 afterwards.
Much different now. There is no Paul Volcker now who can tame inflation. The national debt is much higher now. We now have proxy wars.
I don't think Carter or Reagan would consider running for President in this situation.
The gradual increase in interest rates by the FED Reserve is simply throwing gasoline on the inflation fire.
Speaking only for myself... Life was much better during the Carter and Reagan years.

It's bigger than a union issue. They're seeing problems with the business case of mass-market EV adoption.
The largest offshore wind farm developer, Orsted, just pulled the plug on New Jersey’s wind farm - Atlantic Shores, citing massive losses. One of the worlds largest wind turbine manufacturers, Siemens, just asked Germany for bailout money so they can stay in business after suffering massive losses.

Meanwhile China dominates the mining of most of the rare earth metals needed in the production of EV’s. Next to capitalism, the invention which has most greatly benefited society and helped more poor people gain wealth is the gas combustion engine. Politicians who are trying to flush it into the toilet bowl of history must have ulterior motives.

He's right, you know.......

Friday’s rally, like most of the S&P gains so far this year, was likely driven by just 10 stocks and, as Zero Hedge noted on Friday, NASDAQ breadth is at all time lows while just a handful of companies keep pushing the index higher.

In other words, for the people in the back, the nation’s last AAA rating is at risk and the stock market is an air pocket reliant on just a handful of stocks.

My first mortgage was 6.25, a rate I thought historically not bad.

I told myself if I could ever get below 5 that would be so cool.

Im at 3.25 now.

I know the sound idea of maintaining a mortgage and we will do so on the rental but I want the primary paid off.....the sooner the better.

Looking at page 1-2 of this thread.

With my wife getting fired this past week I won’t remind her of goal 1 and my adamant, but useless argument, that taking money out on the refinance to get below 3.25% would be the worst financial decision we could ever make.

I have tiny balls.

Last edited: