• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Subsonic Suppression Caliber Suggestions

dega37

Private
Minuteman
What do you all think would be the ideal caliber/cartridge for subsonic suppression and why?

I was considering large bore like .50 beowulf or .458 socom due to power considerations at lower velocities.

Re: Subsonic Suppression Caliber Suggestions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you all think would be the ideal caliber/cartridge for subsonic suppression and why?

I was considering large bore like .50 beowulf or .458 socom due to power considerations at lower velocities. </div></div>
I have something in the works even better than those 2. Gotta keep it under wraps for now though...but it will put both of those to shame.

The bigger and fatter better sectional densities is what I would pick. Out of everything Aval I think the .300AAC BLKout is the way to go just because how easy it would be to build, reloading components, recoil, cycling subsonic, and the fact most guys already have a 7.62 can and going anything larger would require another can, tax stamp etc.

I vote .22 also.

But it takes a special brand of person and courage to move up against multiple targets with a .22.

just recently got my 300/221 fireball fully functioning and i was amazed athow quiet it was. its my new favorite gun. 300/221 fireball is the generic 300 whisper which is very similat to the 300aac blackout.

my 300/221 in ar is very quiet; but the rem 700 bolt in 300whisper aka 300/221 is amazingly quiet. when it is shot where very little stucture near to reflect back the sound , one can hear bullet stike at 30 yrds to 200+ yds. Also just started with the 338 spectre--very quiet would like to try this in a bolt!

Everything is a compromise. 22lr can be greatly suppressed, but power is low. 45 and 50 caliber greatly increases subsonic power, but the wide bore lets out lots of noise even if you use a large can. The 300 whisper and other low powered 30 cals are a bit of both. It is impossible to have the power of a 50 cal and the compact size and low noise of the 22lr.

My 510 whisper sounds like a car door slamming, but the 300 whisper is better and the 22lr better still when it comes to noise. Both of the smaller ones are jokes when compared to the power of a 953 grain lead slug moving 1050 fps (nearly 4 times the power) out of the 510 whisper.

Ranb

Sometimes I think logged on ARFcon accidentally, since AR-centric thought is so prevalent.

.300 Whisper, .300ACC Blackout, .30-.221(all the same) are of primarily utility since it works in an AR and has no special virtue vs any other .30 sub-sonic load.

Since 9MM suppressored firearms are felt to be pretty close to suppressed .22s (as compared to .45s), I have to think about a medium heavy bullet cartridge like 9MM-.358/.375.
Maybe something like a .35 Herrett with a heavy bullet.

I know that similar loads are popular with Contenders.

In intermediate cartridges I have references of AK based 9x39 guns.

Flame at will, my personal experience is mainly, though not exclusively, to limited my .22 Spectre.

A couple weeks back there was a suppressed marlin 336 in 30 30 at the shop where I usually blow my money. I gotta say it was pretty sweet looking lol.

I like the suppressed 30s to be honest. As was mentioned, they are a pretty good compromise between power and sound. Maybe a suppressed 338 would be worth a look. I dont have a whisper yet... Maybe sometime, but I have had good luck with sub 308s (especially since I am already tooled for it).

Maybe a super fast twist and heavy for caliber bullets or something on a centerfire 22 could be something to mess with?

I had a .338 Spectre would shoot 300 grain SMK @990 fps and just smashed shit, it was a sledge hammer. The rifle was extremely quite with my .338 suppressor, but i have heard a 9mm pistol can works as well or better

Zink

It really depends what you want to do with it. What is your mission and how much do you want to spend?

If you want semi-auto through an AR, some sort of 300/221 is probably best.

If you want a semi-auto pistol, 9mm, hands down.

If you want a quiet levergun or bolt gun, it's hard to beat a 44 Magnum.

And if you absolutely maximum quiet...meaning mousefart quiet...you need a 22LR. And you'll achieve max quiet with a 22LR bolt gun.

Depends upon the mission.

-David
Edgewood, NM

300 BLK is a great way to go for several reasons.
- It is a SAAMI cartridge
- Being .30 caliber there is the broadest selection of projectiles available
- You can run it in an AR platform if you are so inclined
- A subsonic 220 SMK hits very hard and penetrates very well
- Remington has factory Model 700 barrels in 300 BLK available
- You can use a super sonic loading with a lighter bullet to get even more versatility

I wanted to just run my 308 subsonic, but it was so limited due to twist rate that the 300 BLK just made much more sense to me.

YMMV...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you all think would be the ideal caliber/cartridge for subsonic suppression and why?

I was considering large bore like .50 beowulf or .458 socom due to power considerations at lower velocities. </div></div>
I have something in the works even better than those 2. Gotta keep it under wraps for now though...but it will put both of those to shame.</div></div>

Well, after reading the replies, I'm still not sure what exactly I want but I am definitely going to have to see what you have cooked up once completed. Any time frame on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you all think would be the ideal caliber/cartridge for subsonic suppression and why?

I have something in the works even better than those 2. Gotta keep it under wraps for now though...but it will put both of those to shame.</div></div>

Well, after reading the replies, I'm still not sure what exactly I want but I am definitely going to have to see what you have cooked up once completed. Any time frame on that? </div></div>
It's in the works as we speak. Couple months at the most. I'll let you know.

dega37, after three posts in this thread you still haven't described the application/what goal you are trying to accomplish. Are you wanting a cool range toy? Are you needing something for legally hunting suppressed? If the latter is the case, what are you hunting and in what kind of environment/conditions?

If we knew more about what you are trying to accomplish we could give you better advice. Help us help you.
wink.gif

Take a look at 50 thumper. (if you were looking for a suppressed 50)

Its a cut down WSM case, and it doesnt require you to form a shoulder (case prep with most wildcats is a pain in the ass)

Or you should go 300blk, since it is the only wildcat thats actually SAAMI approved.

Be sure you understand what you are dealing with. My 300 whisper lobs them in at 100 yards. The rate of drop is so severe, missing a coyote sized target at various distances is pretty easy. Also, for what is basically a subsonic 7.62x39 you are going to pay $40 for a box of 20 rounds. Not very economical.

On the other hand, consider a .223 using full velocity rounds with a supressor attached. You get an accurate and powerful round that is fully capable of deer hunt and you wont need hearing protection. They sound like an unsupressed 22 rimfire. Ammo is cheap, accurate and effective. A reflex supressor on a 16" carbine is still a reasonable size package.

I have come to the conclusion that quieter full velocity loads fits my needs much better.

For those that are wondering, I am really thinking about overall capabilities for realistic shots within the subsonic range. Mostly being within 150 m, so not amazingly accurate, but that still has a decent amount of energy. Most likely, I'm thinking of a semi-auto that when it strikes the target has about 400 ft/lbs of energy (This seems to be a pretty reasonable amount that will get the job done). Hopefully, the end result being decently quiet, accurate enough to hit a 6" target or better at 100m.

Any bullet that is 165 grains and heavier moving 1050 fps will do the job as far as power is concerned. This means 357, 300 whisper, 338 whisper, 44 special/magnum are all candidates for the job. I would recommend 300 whisper or the 300 BLK as they are both common and readily avialable as AR-15 uppers and bolt guns as well as the contenders and encores.

Ranb

Ideal...30 cal e.g. 300 black out, .308, 300WM

Utlimate... .510 whisper

I have two now a .223 and a .338 and want one for a 50 build and my beowulf. I have 600 grain projectiles already for the beowulf and that would hit pretty hard I would say. I have a lawton 8000 cheytac bolt action that I could build something off of also. I wonder what a .408 cheytac case cut off would hold make a suppressed cannon! Now where is some money more more more. PG

22 LR followed by 300 Whisper... bother affordable both quiet...

300 AAC, Whisper, or what ever you want to call it.

Brass is cheap and readily available. Same for ammo, Remington priced it right. $13 for supersonic FMJ, and $22 for 220 SMK subs.

Also, This caliber is easier to connect at longer ranges than the pistol calibers if that is important.

Blake

In an AR the 300 AAC/Whisper/300-221 are very cool and quiet, in a bolt gun the 338quiet/whisper is very bad ass, if money is no issue the 510whisper

300 Blackout in an AR setup is more fun then a barrel of monkeys.
SBR platform is even better!

300 Whisper on ar platform is great

My Savage 10 fcm 338 whisper.

338whisper.jpg

The only problem is the short case does not want to eject some of the time. The magazine is an aftermarket M-1a mag welded to the bottom of a Savage mag. I usually use 305 grain cast bullets.

Ranb

I would love to do a 500 whisper. But I ordered a 77/44 from SRT and I am also getting a 300 BLK with can with last years bonus.

So I couldn't decide, but I am happy with my decision.

300 whisper is one of my favorites