• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supressors

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Afternoon Hide

I have been contemplating getting a suppressor for my DDm4v7. However, after doing some research, I am wondering if it is worth it? With the added suppressor it will make the DD longer and heavier on the front end, and it doesn't do too much in terms of noise suppression for 5.56 calibers. Does anyone else have experience with suppressed ar-15s, 5.56 caliber that could shed some light?

To clarify, my DD is a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system.

Also, since I have you here, I am planning to buy a gun safe in the future. In choosing where to place it in the house, what is the preferred location among members of the Hide here? I am thinking and area that is out of sight and out of mind as I would not want it in the open for people to see when they are over visiting, or for it to be seen when looking through the window.

Goat.

Good Afternoon Hide

I have been contemplating getting a suppressor for my DDm4v7. However, after doing some research, I am wondering if it is worth it? With the added suppressor it will make the DD longer and heavier on the front end, and it doesn't do too much in terms of noise suppression for 5.56 calibers. Does anyone else have experience with suppressed ar-15s, 5.56 caliber that could shed some light?

Also, since I have you here, I am planning to buy a gun safe in the future. In choosing where to place it in the house, what is the preferred location among members of the Hide here? I am thinking and area that is out of sight and out of mind as I would not want it in the open for people to see when they are over visiting, or for it to be seen when looking through the window.

Goat.
Buy a 30 cal can and use it on other rifles,

Good Afternoon Hide

Goat.
How do you figure it doesn't do much for noise suppression?
I think you may be mistaken in regards to decibel levels and how decibels are measured. The decibel scale is not linear, it is based on orders of magnitude.
A good suppressor will reduce the sound signature by close to 30 decibels. That is an enormous difference. I found this, it may help illustrate what I am saying:
Change in dB
Change in sound energy
3 dB increase
sound energy is doubled
3 dB decrease
sound energy is halved
10 dB increase
sound energy is increased by a factor of 10
10 dB decrease
sound energy is decreased by a factor of 10
20 dB increase
sound energy is increased by a factor of 100
20 dB decrease
sound energy is decreased by a factor of 100

Get a 30 CAL can like a Nomad and stop worrying about it. Instead of it being deafening, it's just loud. More pleasant to shoot. Still need some sort of ear pro even with a can, unless you are shooting subs. You can just get away with less in your ear pro unless you have to shoot in public ranges, in which case that just sucks in general. At least your neighbors at the range will like you.

How do you figure it doesn't do much for noise suppression?
I think you may be mistaken in regards to decibel levels and how decibels are measured. The decibel scale is not linear, it is based on orders of magnitude.
A good suppressor will reduce the sound signature by close to 30 decibels. That is an enormous difference. I found this, it may help illustrate what I am saying:
Change in dB
Change in sound energy
3 dB increase
sound energy is doubled
3 dB decrease
sound energy is halved
10 dB increase
sound energy is increased by a factor of 10
10 dB decrease
sound energy is decreased by a factor of 10
20 dB increase
sound energy is increased by a factor of 100
20 dB decrease
sound energy is decreased by a factor of 100
I was just reading what people have said on other forums.

If I get a suppressor, do I need to switch out to an AGB? Do I need to get ammo that is supersonic/ subsonic?

With a suppressed firearm, can I shoot other 223/5.56 ammunition with the same velocity and ballistic performance as if it was unsupporessed?

Goat

If I get a suppressor, do I need to switch out to an AGB? Do I need to get ammo that is supersonic/ subsonic?

With a suppressed firearm, can I shoot other 223/5.56 ammunition with the same velocity and ballistic performance as if it was unsupporessed?

Goat
I took a quick gander at that thread, seems a bunch of morons replied there.
I will tell you this: effectiveness depends on the manufacturer.
Some cans are very loud, like surerfire, I wasn't impressed with silencerco either.
Some cans are pretty damn quiet.
I am impressed by the Griffin Recce.
You can shoot supers or subs, I wouldn't waste my time with subs in a 5.56, you're talking a 75-77 grain bullet (maybe) at less than 1000 FPS.
That is less energy than a .380 acp.
Shooting suppressed does NOT change the ballistic performance. Sometimes there is actually a marginal increase in velocity, but it is VERY minor.

An AGB is a good idea, you MIGHT have to play with buffer weight.
A gas buster or similar charging handle is worthwhile, otherwise you'll be gassed pretty good.

With the added suppressor it will make the DD longer and heavier on the front end, and it doesn't do too much in terms of noise suppression for 5.56 calibers.
Says who? Depending on the suppressor there will be SUBSTANTIAL noise reduction. Do not confuse this with the term 'hearing safe' that gets thrown around.

I think most people get sucked in to the terminology and John Wick stuff too much. They think if they shoot next to someone and they don't even notice the shot that is sufficient suppression. This is really wrong thinking. You can hear suppressed shots from far away and you still need to wear ear plugs/muffs but the John Wick expectation and needing to wear ear protection are not equal things.

Does anyone else have experience with suppressed ar-15s, 5.56 caliber that could shed some light?
I suppress everything. The whole reason why I started buying suppressors is because I wanted to shoot more and annoy the neighbors less. Plus I have six dogs at the moment so I was being considerate of them too.

With the suppressor there is significant sound reduction. The dogs no longer are trembling from the repetitive booms and the neighbors are not a concern. They never complained but now I know it's a whole lot better all around.

To go from nearly 170 Db down by over 30 Db is a HUGE difference. The guns still make noise but the kind of noise is totally different. With the suppressor you remove the startling 'BOOM!' and turn it into a longer deeper sound. The closest thing I can say it's akin to is if you let the air out of a big air compressor via the release valve over a second or so of time. It's night and day difference for you the shooter and anyone near you.

Goat
You do not need an adjustable gas block, or carrier to run suppressed but they can make shooting an AR more enjoyable by limiting and diverting gas from the shooters face. Certain cans will help with this also, like the sf rc2.

you can run any ammo that your rifle will reliably feed but POI can change when running suppressed, some cans are worse then others.

I only know of a one subsonic 223 but your ar would need to be manually fed after each round

I don't shoot AR's without a suppressor any more.

Is an AR hearing safe with a can .....general consensus is not between supersonic crack and bolt noise.

Does a can help substantially on a 16 inch AR = YES!!!

Nearly all my shit is suppressed. All the rifles are for sure.

You've likely been told a bunch of shit on other sites by kids that don't even own any of this junk. Won't work with 5.56? Need adjustable bullshit? What the fuck ever.

First off, they make a HUGE difference! Even the 5" shorties, which are by far my favorite (and usually become everyone's favorite once they dive into this and own a few). The short ones will take a big bite of the noise without adding a bunch of weight and length. As to whether you still need ear pro depends on several factors. That said, most people tend to go for pure performance on their first buy.

It used to be that .22 cans were the stepping off point but that changed about ten, fifteen years ago I guess. It seems rifle cans are now. So I'll discuss those.

You've got several options: dedicated, .30 or a "one size fits all" can. Dedicated is best, .30 next best, one size fits all least. More often than not, first time buyers want something they can use on ALL their rifles. That's fine, but most buyers don't stick with that philosophy.

If you've got .30 rifles you wanna suppress too, then another option is to do a good job on that and then use that can on the 5.56. The difference in sound will mostly be upset by the quality of sound --a .30 can on a 5.56 rifle sounds deeper, throatier and while being a dB or two higher, it's not noticeable. You can always get a dedicated 5.56 can later too, and some will use the same mounts --say if you got a 7.62 Saker (and they sell 5.56 endcaps too) later if you wanted a 5.56 Saker it'd fit --end of story.

You'll probably want QD. Most folks don't direct thread AR's anymore. You can do it, just I wouldn't. One that latches or locks would be ideal, the threadover brakes like TBAC uses are more ideal (again) on bolt guns.

Suppressors are ALL about compromises --you increase one attribute, you reduce two or three others (one almost always being cost). The best all around ones IMO are the KAC and Surefire cans but they're not cheap and I probably wouldn't recommend those as a first buy but you sure couldn't go wrong that way either. TBAC is a FINE choice but generally not the best for AR's (while probably THE best for bolt guns). They do make an abuse can now I'm not familiar with so I'd still check 'em out. They're on here a lot too FWIW. Really, really good people.

A quality budget can is the Silencerco Saker and that'd be my "first can" recommendation. They're a bit on the heavy side but they work well, are tough as hell, even take different mounts and end caps and don't cost a whole lot, can be found on sale too. Good warranty but one you may never need to use. On the other end you've got Surefire and KAC. Some cans are designed to be more user friendly as opposed to simply the quietest. I wouldn't get too wound up on dB numbers. KAC and Surefire are two of the best "all around" use cans and there are plenty that meter better --but not too many that can do everything they can as well as they do it.

Elite Iron is one I should mention that's a good mixture of all around quality and cost. Prices are kept down simply by using high grade SS instead of exotics. He's a metallurgist by profession IIRC and I use his cans primarily on large bore (BMG, .338LM) and they just work. Really good people too. They're my only goto for custom suppressor shit, period.

I'd stick with a brand that's been around a while and isn't going anywhere. That said, some of us thought that included AAC way back when! Now I'm sitting on four of those. At least they get the job done...

I don't own an adjustable gas block and all my shit seems to work. But I do own a "one size fits all can" --and it really never gets used. Literally a million things better for rifles and though it's technically a 9mm bore, it's like 11" long and the last thing I want on a 9mm anything. But if you're in WA and deadset on a one size fits all, I've got a Mystic X with your name on it!

At the end of the day, pick a good one and call the mfg. and ask THEM questions if you've still got any prior to purchase.

If you can wait until this summer, there are usually really good sales on all sorts. Silencerco and Capitol Armory usually (sometimes combined) may be able to walk away with a free .22 can too. IMO, .22's are by far the best/most fun to suppress.

Elite Iron is good people. For an all around AR can, their Battle Dog is really good.

my DDM4v7 with a big fuck off 32oz all steel can from 2006 on the end, when direct threat was a thing.
Like was said- get a quality .30 can and a fistful of mounts if you're planning on one- I went dedicated 556 can and another .30 can for my 308's.

VOr8TR.jpg

check out youtubes like "Supressed Nation" for metered comparo tests...

Do it before the fees rise from $200 to $300. I seriously believe they will pass this and it will be quick.

Good Afternoon Hide

Goat.
Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) Introduces Law to Ban Sale of Firearms Suppressors.

Thank you for all the replies. After doing some research I have it narrowed down to three Suppressors.

1. Dead Air Sandman.
17.7 oz, 6.8”, DB rating down to 140
$849

2. OSS HX-5.56
17.5 oz, 6.7”, sub 140 DB rating
$912

3. Surefire Socom RC2.
17 oz, 6.2”, DB rating down to 133.
$1000+

I am leaning towards the RC2. I know it is a bit more speedy, but for something like this, I want to buy something solid and have the peace of mind. I am considering the MINI2 as this is going on my AR with a 16” barrel.

Anyone own or have experience with any of these? With the length of my barrel, would a mini whether it is the RC2 or HX-556K?

Goat

Don't get caught up in the decibels. It's not the only defining thing. I've got a Sandman S, a Sandman Ti (Just a Sandman L with Ti tube and direct thread) , and a Nomad Ti. While I have never put them all on my 16" 308 gas gun. On my 24" 6.5CM bolt, without my ears in, it was a wash. Should still wear ear pro, still not hearing safe, don't care what others say.

If I was looking to do a dedicated 223 can for my AR, would probably be OSS just for its technology.
For my first can, I would highly suggest a 30 caliber can. I was moving my first can around to all my rifles. The difference between a 30 and dedicated 5.56 can is not enough from feedback I have read here. More support for Deadair products on here than Surefire I think. More than anything else is TBAC, but like mentioned those are more regarded for bolt actions. I would take another look at the Dead Air Nomad line of cans. If I could trade my Sandman S for Nomad 30 I wouldn't hesitate. Not as tough as the Sandman, but if you aren't mag dumping into the ether, or getting into day long fire fights I don't see a huge need for the Sandman.

Don't get caught up in the decibels. It's not the only defining thing. I've got a Sandman S, a Sandman Ti (Just a Sandman L with Ti tube and direct thread) , and a Nomad Ti. While I have never put them all on my 16" 308 gas gun. On my 24" 6.5CM bolt, without my ears in, it was a wash. Should still wear ear pro, still not hearing safe, don't care what others say.

If I was looking to do a dedicated 223 can for my AR, would probably be OSS just for its technology.
For my first can, I would highly suggest a 30 caliber can. I was moving my first can around to all my rifles. The difference between a 30 and dedicated 5.56 can is not enough from feedback I have read here. More support for Deadair products on here than Surefire I think. More than anything else is TBAC, but like mentioned those are more regarded for bolt actions. I would take another look at the Dead Air Nomad line of cans. If I could trade my Sandman S for Nomad 30 I wouldn't hesitate. Not as tough as the Sandman, but if you aren't mag dumping into the ether, or getting into day long fire fights I don't see a huge need for the Sandman.
What is it about the OSS and their technology? Are they ahead of the game? Please elaborate.

Goat

What is it about the OSS and their technology? Are they ahead of the game? Please elaborate.

Goat
Not ahead per say. It's just their cans sacrifice some reduction in sound for less back pressure by letting some gasses cool circling around inside the can before exiting the front of the can around the edge of the front end cap. Never seen or shot one, but at the shooters ear from what I understand it is still quiet comparatively to other cans. Get to the side or front and it is louder than most. The less back pressure you get from a can is less carbon buildup in your upper. Will still get nasty either way, but I think the plus would be less gas in the face.

Good Afternoon Hide

Goat.

Security system for your house and place the safe in a way that it can't be tipped and the sides can't be accessed.

Goat
I have 2 OSS cans. Both are 30 cal, but they are different generations. On a semi auto, they are just really nice. Things just run smoother, carbon isnt caking up abnormally inside every nook and the magazine of the gun. Most everything gets blown out the front of the suppressor instead of back into the action

Finally listened to a oss can next to an omega can both on bolt guns. The sound difference isn’t huge and I’d buy one if I ran gas guns more.

Goat
Not their not ahead of the game and given your use case i don't think they would be the best option at all.

My list given your uses:

1. CGS Helios QD: its a little long 6.5" and a little heavy 19oz with direct thread adapter however what you get is arguably the most durable suppressor on the market (certainly the most durable I have heard of) your barrel will literally droop and start to melt before this suppressor calls it quits.
Watch the NFA review channels review on it he did his best to break it haha.

Here is a video I got from CGS customer service while asking a few questions about the Helios... he said this was the second or third belt ran through the can about a minute after the last one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Wl_ByJRRz/

They have also torture tested it on the maxim defense PDX with a 5.5" barrel with little to no baffle erosion due to their unique baffle design.

In ADDITION to the durability it is a phenominally great sounding can with the option of two different endcaps one of them is their "solid" endcap which gives maximum suppression and meters phenominally well especially in the pewscience review. The second is their "vented" front cap which again due to the unique baffle design lowers the backpressure significantly and turns it into a flow through suppressor.

In ADDITION lol the can was developed for 5.56 and specifically tuned for that however as part of their tuning to get it to have really low back pressure it is overbored and can be used perfectly fine on .30 caliber rifles no problem and even go all the way up to .338 if you confirm that everything is concentric.

It also comes in a nice hard case with all the mounting accessories by default to he able to mount it to pretty much any rifle you want.

Just don't try to pin and weld your muzzle device and cover it up with the can to save some length... the blast chamber is short so if you use a long muzzle device then you have to use an adapter to give it more room and completely negates the purpose. But you can get something like the keymo mount with the micro brake and not have to use the adapter.

2. Rugged Micro 30
Solid first time can because it is .30 caliber and has an ADAPT module to convert it from a 6.5" S can to a 5" K can.
Meters well for traditional baffle design cans and has a no questions asked warranty and even covers user errors like shooting it off the rifle or dripping it off a cliff. Also built like a tank on par with the sandman series.

Muzzle devices are available to pin/weld it to 14.5 but nothing for 13.7/13.9

The K configuration is only like 11pz and honestly for a 16" rifle I really like this suppressor in K configuration as it handles nicely and balances sound and if I'm just messing around and want a little extra suppression I just screw on the ADAPT module and make it an S can.

3. Sandman K/S
Both of those are phenomenal cans however I do not have any personal experience.... my fingers have been hovering on the trigger to purchase a Sandman K with E Brake for a while now for a 13.7 pinned/welded build.

The E Brake and muzzle devices long enough to pin/weld a 13.7 barrel is the biggest selling point IMO

The E Brake from the reviews i have seen controls the flash the best out of anything other than the CGS Helios from what I have gathered and also helps with recoil/muzzle rise quite well.

SageDynamics on YouTube does an awsome review on the Dead Air E Brake.

Anyways those are my options I would recommend... I have both the CGS and the Micro 30.

I purchased the Helios for a 12.5" 5.56 SBR and it is my go to rifle anytime I should ever NEED my rifle.

The Micro 30 was my very first can and its going to go on a 16" Mk12 Mod H inspired build (think 16" barrel SPR) although right now it's just chilling on my Delton AR which was my first AR... its also kinda the dirty whore of the family and gets passed around and beat up the most since it has that unconditional lifetime warranty.

As I discussed im really interested in the Sandman K+E Brake for a 13.7" 5.56 build.... still thinking on that though.

Last edited:

Goat

If you have the ability to run a can, I see no reason not to do so. Personally I think Adjustable Gas Blocks are hold overs from the early 2000's. While they do work and serve purpose, I think that they can cause more issues than they solve, and modern low pressure can designs really negate the need for a AGB on the average rifle. I think the one area where AGB's shine is in 3 gun type rifles where one can turn a rifle to run very smoothly off of one specific ammunition type.

When choosing a can for a gas gun, I would be careful not to get caught up in what can suppresses the best as higher Db reduction levels come with higher increases of back pressure on the operating system which can have adverse effects on reliability.

For example, I was attempting to suppress 13.5 inch LMT MWS, The first can that I mounted, was a full size can Gemtech GMT-300WM, I really like the can and it works great when mounted on my Bolt Gun 300wm. Unfortunately when paired with the 13.5 it really over gassed the system and result in some miss feeds and violent recoil.

I then mounted my dead air Sandman K and honestly, it ran great with no signs of overpreassure.

Considering that the even the best suppressing cans on AR's are not exactly quite, i am more than willing to trade a few Db's for lower back pressure.

Thank you for all the responses. After doing some research, and with the knowledge some of you have shared, I am between an OSS or a Surefire RC2, with a leaning towards the RC2.

When starting to look into suppressors, I never even thought of back pressure being a problem. With decreased back pressure, I’ve learned that there will be less recoil, less gas to my face, and less fouling on the bolt, bcg, and trigger control group.

I am leaning towards the RC2 because of ruggedness and built towards that it will not affect the reliability of the rifle, and with management of back pressure.

Anyone here have experience with both? Which is better managing back pressure for reasons mentioned above?

Goat

Last edited:
“ Blowback is always a consideration when shooting suppressed, however, it cannot be a detracting factor. Most military weapon systems do not have an option to adjust the gas setting, so SOCOM suppressors are designed to have a lower gas blowback compared to most commercial silencers which allows for better operability of the weapon system and the shooter.”

This is a quote from an interview with the gentleman at Surefire.

Goat

If your gonna run mostly gas guns you should get 308 gen 2 oss. An interview with surefire rep may be biased...

surefire cans also get stuck and shooting them off is the solution. If you want milspec, surefire is the way to go. Just depends what you want.

Surefire cans are overpriced and not very effective. They are tough.
Look at griffin recce, sig also makes goid cans.

Thank you for all the responses. After doing some research, and with the knowledge some of you have shared, I am between an OSS or a Surefire RC2, with a leaning towards the RC2.

When starting to look into suppressors, I never even thought of back pressure being a problem. With decreased back pressure, I’ve learned that there will be less recoil, less gas to my face, and less fouling on the bolt, bcg, and trigger control group.

I am leaning towards the RC2 because of ruggedness and built towards that it will not affect the reliability of the rifle, and with management of back pressure.

Anyone here have experience with both? Which is better managing back pressure for reasons mentioned above?

Goat
Also low pressure cans are will supress better at the shooters ear vs a high pressure can.

Sandman S or L is considered a very tough can, with one of the industries top QD connections. It's QD locking system is nearly impossible to get stuck. I would still take a Nomad over a Sandman. They both have no minimum barrel restrictions. But if you are mag dumping or doing super long, multiple mags of fire, with no cool down then sure get a Sandman.

Goat
Sounds like you are pretty set on one of those two options. I'm not a huge fan of either of them. The OSS is just a one trick pony and the RC2 is a little dated with the newer competitors.

However out of the two you have to ask yourself: "is backpressurr/shooters ear suppression ALL i care about?"

RC2 will be a MUCH better balanced can in regards to signature reduction (flash, sound at muzzle and ear, dust kicked up in prone ect.) And is also built to be low backpressure.

The OSS will be lower backpressure and at ear performance but thats really all it does.

Both have good mounting systems
Both are extremely durable to the point I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a belt fed lying around you haven't told us about.

Both have better options at this point IMO...

Reactions: loveha
Sounds like you are pretty set on one of those two options. I'm not a huge fan of either of them. The OSS is just a one trick pony and the RC2 is a little dated with the newer competitors.

However out of the two you have to ask yourself: "is backpressurr/shooters ear suppression ALL i care about?"

RC2 will be a MUCH better balanced can in regards to signature reduction (flash, sound at muzzle and ear, dust kicked up in prone ect.) And is also built to be low backpressure.

The OSS will be lower backpressure and at ear performance but thats really all it does.

Both have good mounting systems
Both are extremely durable to the point I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a belt fed lying around you haven't told us about.

Both have better options at this point IMO...
What makes the RC2 a bit dated to new competitors?

What makes the RC2 a bit dated to new competitors?

The surefire suppressors were made back before the suppressor industry really had a big civilian market boom. The extra demand has driven advancement and left the surefire products in the dust... my above post outlines as few of those options in much greater detail than I am going to type again but to quickly gloss over it.

In my research for a similar suppressor use case as you on 5.56" AR's this is my short list.

CGS Hyperiod QD
Rugged Micro30
Dead Air Sandman S/K
Dead Air Nomad 30
Energetic armament VOX
Thunderbeast Dominus

FWIW I put my own money on the Rugged Micro30 and the CGS Helios QD... the Helios is probably the most advanced suppressor on the market and i attempted to outline why I liked it on 5.56 AR's in my post above but if you are interested hit up CGS customer service they will answer any questions. Paco ramirez is also a CGS engineer who is pretty active on these forums you can tag him in if interested but I don't want to waste his time if you are not.

Reactions: Yondering
The surefire suppressors were made back before the suppressor industry really had a big civilian market boom. The extra demand has driven advancement and left the surefire products in the dust... my above post outlines as few of those options in much greater detail than I am going to type again but to quickly gloss over it.

In my research for a similar suppressor use case as you on 5.56" AR's this is my short list.

CGS Hyperiod QD
Rugged Micro30
Dead Air Sandman S/K
Dead Air Nomad 30
Energetic armament VOX
Thunderbeast Dominus

FWIW I put my own money on the Rugged Micro30 and the CGS Helios QD... the Helios is probably the most advanced suppressor on the market and i attempted to outline why I liked it on 5.56 AR's in my post above but if you are interested hit up CGS customer service they will answer any questions. Paco ramirez is also a CGS engineer who is pretty active on these forums you can tag him in if interested but I don't want to waste his time if you are not.
I am interested. Could you tag him or have him private message me?

I was not thinking before, but I plan to use this suppressor that can work on both my 5.56 AR-15 and my MPA bolt action 6.5 CM.

Now I’m considering the Sandman S, or the CGS Helios....

Too many decisions!

Sandman is in my opinion overkill for the MPA.
I have an MPA BA 6.5 and a Sandman S. I would rather use my Nomad Ti or Sandman Ti.

Let me ask you this. Do you do mag dumps? Like, a lot? If not, I implore you to avert your eyes to the Dead Air Nomad 30. You got tunnel vision, when many here with experience are trying to point you to better options. Remember, this is a lifetime purchase that takes 5-9 months to get. Don't waste your time on something you will regret later down the road.

If I could trade instantly my Sandman S for a Nomad 30 I would not hesitate. In my opinion the Sandman S is an excellent can for a war fighter. However the Nomad is just a better can and plenty durable for anything a civilian would do. It has more internal volume. It can be direct thread, or it can accept just about any QD system as the threads are almost standardized. You don't want to use Dead Air's system? Fine, can use Q's, or Area 419. It's just a superior can. Only thing it doesn't have is stellite baffles like the Sandman. It's also lighter (14oz) as it's a welded baffle stack. Not a tube with baffles inside (17.7oz). Otherwise it has the same restrictions, which are none.
The only draw back, is if you don't want to do direct thread, and want QD, it will cost extra of course. But like mentioned, you can use just about any companies system that utilize 1.375x24 threads. Which there are plenty.

@paco ramirez
I was not thinking before, but I plan to use this suppressor that can work on both my 5.56 AR-15 and my MPA bolt action 6.5 CM.

Now I’m considering the Sandman S, or the CGS Helios....

Too many decisions!

CGS Helios is your best bet BY FAR then... it puts up suppression numbers on a bolt action with the solid front cap that beat out most other cans that are a lot longer according to pewscience.... in fact I forgot where I saw it but I remember seeing a list compiled by someone ranking all the suppressors reviewed by pewscience by their suppression rating and the only things that beat the Helios was the CGS hyperion (their 9" precision can) and the thunderbeast Ultra 9.

It will have significantly better suppression ratings at ear and muzzle with the solid frontcap than the Sandman S.

And less than half the backpressure of the sandman S with the vented front cap.

Hopefully @paco ramirez can give some more info on the suppression levels for the Helios QD on ARs and bolt guns at ear.

Also here are the two pewscience reviews that I got my suppression/bqckpressure data from.

Reactions: paco ramirez

If I’m reading this right, the CGS has high back pressure.

Anyone else see it?

If I’m reading this right, the CGS has high back pressure.

Anyone else see it?
Thats for the solid (S) endcap. Vented (V) is the flow through one and the only cans in its range are the sandman K and rugged Radiant in short config... both of which are two baffle K Sized

back_pressure_suppression_plot_6.18_horizontal_muzzle_ear_absolute_tall_wm.png