• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Swaro VS. Vortex Binos

Cjwise5

Owner PRN
Minuteman
May 23, 2014
Missouri
www.youtube.com
I'm looking for a no b.s. assessment of the Swarovski SLC or similar binos and the Vortex Razor HD binos as used for spotting and calling shots instead of a spotting scope. I've looked through the Swaro's at a match last fall and they were amazing! So easy to see bullet trace. Anyone have real experience with both?

I have owned 3 Razors, 8x42, 10x42, 12x50. Also Swaro SLC 8x42, 10x42, 12x50 and 15x56. They are more $$, however the Swarovski units are markedly better for detecting detail, color and yes, even vapor trail. I use the 15's much more often than the Swaro spotter.

Reactions: Cjwise5
Swaro all the way. The Razor HD's are good, heck they are very good, but the Swaros are insanely good. I prefer something around the 10-12 range for matches. I like a large FOV makes detecting stuff like wind, mirage, trace, bullet splashes ect. easier to see as well as transitioning from target to target.

I've had/have 8x30, 8x42, 8x50 swaro's and 8x42 viper, 6.5x36 fury and 8x42 diamondback (the just release model), it is amazing just how well the glass is these days comparing all of these. That said, like posted by Detroit, you can see a difference in detail and colors and this really presents itself when you are looking into darkened areas.

cool thanks. practical experience is what I was needing to make my decision. I'm not one to skimp and save on glass. I'll probably go with the Swaro. I have the big vortex razor HD spotter I need to sell first.

You are moving in the right direction. My Swaro bino experience goes back 25 years. Not only is the glass amazing but should you need to make a service call you will find that they are top notch. Swaros are worth every penny.

I've got three 8x binocs - Swarovski 8x30SLC bought new in '87~88', Leupold Gold Ring 8x42 circa 2006, and Vortex Viper HD 8x42 from 2015. Optical performance is very similar between all three - I realize that Swaro has probably upgraded their SLCs over the past 30yrs, and that the 30 objectives aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. But the fact that the SLCs are at least still in the running with the much newer Leupolds & Vortex binos makes me want to get my hands on a new set, maybe even the SLC with 40-42 objectives. I'm not knocking either the Leupolds or Vortex glasses - they're both very nice binocs. But the Leupolds are much heavier than either of the other two, and also have what I call 'pincushion' distortion that's particularly noticeable when panning. The Viper HDs are pretty darned nice binocs, at a price just under what I paid for the Leupolds, which were closeouts just after Leupold had discontinued the Gold Ring line.

Point is, there's a large selection of very good binocs in this price range on the market today. And even if you spend quite a bit of time glassing while looking for game, I have to wonder if the Vortex Razor HDs aren't getting pretty close to Swaro SLCs - like I said, I'd love to be able to spend an hour or so out here in the wide open spaces comparing them. I've got enough Cabelas club points saved up to buy a pair of Vortex Viper HD 15x50 binocs - been thinking about getting a set to use at matches in place of a spotter, and wonder how practical they would be?

Spend the money get a Swarovski. Its worth it. The old advice.... " buy once, cry once."

I have both . Vortex is a good value if you are trying to save $ . Swarovski is the very best money can buy , and they charge accordingly.

I just bought a pair of Swarovski 10x42EL binos and they are superb! I highly recommend them. The clarity and resolution are great. Glad I saved up and bought these.

I have both . Vortex is a good value if you are trying to save $ . Swarovski is the very best money can buy , and they charge accordingly.

This. I have the Razor HD's and I'm happy with them, but I've compared them side by side with Swaros and I thought the clarity was better.

I have been using a pair of Swaro 8x42 for a number of years now and the light gathering ability, color rendition and clarity are excellent. We hunt in the wide open spaces on the SW and the most important piece of gear you carry is your binoculars. The ability to distinguish differences in color will often make the difference between having a successful hunt or not. Most guides don't have a lot of money but what do spend it on is the best glass and most of the ones I know have a pair of Swaro's hanging around their neck.

A pair of swaro's is definitely on my short list after using a friend's set. I've got the Vortex Viper HD's and they are good, but not like the Swaros.

I'm torn between wanting the new SCL 10x42 or 15x56, or maybe the EL 10x42. It would just be for PRS competition, scouting out a stage, spotting, and getting info on what the wind is doing downrange. The 15x56 SLC HD's look really intruguing, but not sure if I want the weight penalty.

Another vote for the Swaros. I made the mistake of getting behind a set of the 15's at the Lone Survivor match last fall and it's ruined every bino I've looked through ever since.

I've got three 8x binocs - Swarovski 8x30SLC bought new in '87~88', Leupold Gold Ring 8x42 circa 2006, and Vortex Viper HD 8x42 from 2015. Optical performance is very similar between all three - I realize that Swaro has probably upgraded their SLCs over the past 30yrs, and that the 30 objectives aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. But the fact that the SLCs are at least still in the running with the much newer Leupolds & Vortex binos makes me want to get my hands on a new set, maybe even the SLC with 40-42 objectives. I'm not knocking either the Leupolds or Vortex glasses - they're both very nice binocs. But the Leupolds are much heavier than either of the other two, and also have what I call 'pincushion' distortion that's particularly noticeable when panning. The Viper HDs are pretty darned nice binocs, at a price just under what I paid for the Leupolds, which were closeouts just after Leupold had discontinued the Gold Ring line.

Point is, there's a large selection of very good binocs in this price range on the market today. And even if you spend quite a bit of time glassing while looking for game, I have to wonder if the Vortex Razor HDs aren't getting pretty close to Swaro SLCs - like I said, I'd love to be able to spend an hour or so out here in the wide open spaces comparing them. I've got enough Cabelas club points saved up to buy a pair of Vortex Viper HD 15x50 binocs - been thinking about getting a set to use at matches in place of a spotter, and wonder how practical they would be?

I think very practical. I agree with much of what you said and would add:
I have Swarovski binos and Vortex binos. I have worked in the eye business for 20 years and my opinion is with some guys eyes they can see the difference and others are waisting their money. I have a hard time telling the difference between my Vortex and my Swaros. People spend money and want to believe. Others can actually see the slight difference. I had a Kowa spotting scope and recently bought the new Vortex Razor. That difference was a huge difference and anybody could see that difference. But in the high end world, its marginal. And for a daytime match in bright daylight, the better glass is even harder to distinguish.

If if I had an extra $7k, I would buy the swaros because I love nice stuff. I just didn't have the extra money for that marginal increase , with my eyes. It's awesome there is so much great glass to choose.

PB

Last edited:
I would love to see someone start doing legit comparisons on high quality binos and post them on here like the tracking test that one guy did on many scopes.

Pappasniper -
Glad to hear your opinion on variable vision & how it relates to being able to take advantage of better optical quality. I've had a commercial pilot's license for 38yrs, so have kept either a 1st or 2nd class medical up to date all those years. My vision was 20/10 back in the '70s-'80s, then slipped to 20/15, and eventually to 20/20 by the time I'd reached my late 30s. Wouldn't know what I'm missing nowadays if it hadn't been for all those wonderful years of great vision w/o correction. Now that I'm wearing bi-focals with distance & astigmatism correction, I'm really not at all sure that spending the extra $1730 on a set of Swaro 15x56 SLCs would net me anywhere close to that in improvement over the Vortex Viper HD 15x50s. Like you, I like nice stuff, but have a lot of $$$ tiedup in Kahles riflescopes on Bighorn actions. Been looking for an excuse to make a trip down to Wichita or up to KC (Wichita is 150mi closer, but whichever Cabela's store has both the Swaro & Vortex binocs in stock) to check both brands out in person, as that would be the only way I'd find out for sure how much better the Swaros look to MY eyes.

So I went down to my local sporting goods store and was able to check out the Vortex Viper HD 15x50's next to the Swarovski SLC 15x56 HD's. I brought a tripod so I could hold them rock steady and spent a good amount of time looking at different objects in comparison. When I first put the Viper 15's on the tripod I was pleased with the glass, nice and clear, good resolution. Similar to my Viper HD 10x42's, if perhaps a bit dimmer. I think they would be good as a set of reasonable cost binos to run at a match off your tripod to spot with. Only downside is that the Vortex tripod adapter is a tough fit in between the barrels, really tight fit to screw it in and out. That sort of scratched them off my list since I'd been planning on taking them on/off that adapater a fair bit.

Then I tried the SLC HD 15x56... just jaw dropping. It's not even close. Brighter, more contrasty, finer detail, just has that WOW factor. I don't like the weight, but after looking through the Swaros side by side I knew I would never be happy with the Vipers.

In a stroke of good timing I also lucked into a good price on a set of used SLC HD's. They should be arriving this week. Have to sell some other stuff to pay for them and they'll be a bit heavier to lug around, but I think they'll be the perfect replacement for carrying around a spotting scope.

Their is a reason the Swaros cost more than the Razor HDs and yes they are markedly better , better resolution , better low light performance , better color retention and great customer service , example I purchased a pair of 10x42 SLCs back in 1988 and sold them to my Brother In-Law in 2009 . He used them for a few years and was rather rough on them scratching the lenses with improper cleaning . He sent them Swarovski of America and had them back within a month , new armor coating , new eye cups , new lenses , NO charge ! . Essentially NEW binos for shipping only .
I know Vortex has great customer service also but I've yet to find any Vortex product that can compare to Swarovski optically period . I say this being the owner of Swarovski binos and spotters and a Vortex GEN II Rifle Scope that is phenomenal for the money . I'm not a Fanboy of any product , I just appreciate the finer things in life .

Swaro's are the last word in optics but I don't think I would outlay that amount of Green on Bino's, My 2 sets of Leupolds are very good, Although I am Tempted to check out Swaro optics I think I need to keep things under control.

John.

Thanks for the read. I've never owned a swarvorski optic of any sort but this will sway me to some binos. I owned a vortex razor spotter and great glass so I was leaning towards the vortex kaibab 15x56 but after this, I'll look at the SLC's. I know it's a huge price jump but buy once cry once

Thanks for the read. I've never owned a swarvorski optic of any sort but this will sway me to some binos. I owned a vortex razor spotter and great glass so I was leaning towards the vortex kaibab 15x56 but after this, I'll look at the SLC's. I know it's a huge price jump but buy once cry once

15X56 That is some serious power, 10x is hard enough to keep still, Will you be using these off a Tripod ?

John.

I think a tripod is mandatory to get the best out of these. It's amazing how much improvement you can see once the glass is on a tripod, even on a pair of 10x. I think the difference between tripod and hand held is bigger than the difference between Vortex and Swaro. A pair of 10x Viper HD's on a tripod will easily resolve more fine detail than a pair of Swaro 10x handheld. That's not to say that you can't get a good view when hand holding 15x's I tried it out in the store and it wasn't too bad. It's just that you don't really see what they are capable of resolving until they are held perfectly still.

15X56 That is some serious power, 10x is hard enough to keep still, Will you be using these off a Tripod ?

John.

I have a tripod yes, the one I use for my spotter. When I was at cabelas, I free handed some vortex 20x binos and I did fine with them but only about a 100 yard. From what I've read, anything 15x or greater, I will need tripod or somesort of support

I think a tripod is mandatory to get the best out of these. It's amazing how much improvement you can see once the glass is on a tripod, even on a pair of 10x. I think the difference between tripod and hand held is bigger than the difference between Vortex and Swaro. A pair of 10x Viper HD's on a tripod will easily resolve more fine detail than a pair of Swaro 10x handheld. That's not to say that you can't get a good view when hand holding 15x's I tried it out in the store and it wasn't too bad. It's just that you don't really see what they are capable of resolving until they are held perfectly still.

That makes a lot of sense. Appreciate the write up

Pappasniper -
Glad to hear your opinion on variable vision & how it relates to being able to take advantage of better optical quality. I've had a commercial pilot's license for 38yrs, so have kept either a 1st or 2nd class medical up to date all those years. My vision was 20/10 back in the '70s-'80s, then slipped to 20/15, and eventually to 20/20 by the time I'd reached my late 30s. Wouldn't know what I'm missing nowadays if it hadn't been for all those wonderful years of great vision w/o correction. Now that I'm wearing bi-focals with distance & astigmatism correction, I'm really not at all sure that spending the extra $1730 on a set of Swaro 15x56 SLCs would net me anywhere close to that in improvement over the Vortex Viper HD 15x50s. Like you, I like nice stuff, but have a lot of $$$ tiedup in Kahles riflescopes on Bighorn actions. Been looking for an excuse to make a trip down to Wichita or up to KC (Wichita is 150mi closer, but whichever Cabela's store has both the Swaro & Vortex binocs in stock) to check both brands out in person, as that would be the only way I'd find out for sure how much better the Swaros look to MY eyes.

Can I ask where a set of Swarovski slc 15x for $1730 could be purchased from?

I think he meant the price difference to the Vortex, not the actual price.

Cheapest I've seen the new SLC HD model is $1999 on sale.

Ok yeah, I think I agree with u after I reread what he posted. Yes agreed, lowest I've found was 1999

So my Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 binos arrived today. I am super pleased with the choice. I had a chance to really sit down with them and do some glassing both at closer objects as well as out past 1000 yards. We just had a rain shower pass through then some sun, so the atmosphere is about as clean as it gets.

Going back to the original question of carrying these rather than a spotting scope for spotting at matches.... Comparing these side by side with my current spotting scope (Konuspot 20-60x80, cheap scope but with good resolution, I've had it side by side with a Swaro and Vortex Razor spotters several times) my take is that the resolving power of the 15x56's is about the same as the spotting scope on 30 power, maybe pushing 35 power. With the binos you can definitely see clearly at 1000 yards, more than enough to call impacts on steel. Now if you're trying to pick up a 6mm bullet going into wet dirt at 1100 yards or other really fine detail, the advantage goes to the higher magnification.

On the flip side, the binos have a couple advantages over the spotting scope. One is the massive field of view which is super sharp edge to edge. For spotting on a stage with multiple targets it's going to be much easier to have all the targets in view at the same time, and easier to reposition and locate another target. I also noticed that the depth of focus was a LOT deeper with the binos. Near and far objects were more in focus. The plus of this was that you can see more stuff going on in the air between you and the target. Anything with dust/pollen/etc floating in the wind, or light rain, or bugs is a lot easier to pick up since it's in focus and there's a wider view. Could be an advantage for getting a wind call in some circumstances. Not much mirage going on here today, but I think you'll be able to see some with the binos. Probably advantage goes to the spotter though on being able to read mirage.

Handholding will also be totally fine for an initial walk up on a stage where you need to locate and identify targets. Another plus will be that scouting at 15x will be roughly the same magnification you shoot at.

Ultimately the Swaros are just way more pleasing to look through. The experience is immersive and 3D, contrast/color/everything is stellar. The size is compact compared to my spotter (though they weigh almost as much!). Mine came with a Rick Young neoprene cover and I like it, very handy way to protect the binos when thrown into a pack but still easily accessible. I can even leave the tripod mount on the binos with the cover attached.

Anyhow, enough rambling... here's a pic. :)

IMG_0868_zpsogcau2cm.jpg

So my Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 binos arrived today. I am super pleased with the choice. I had a chance to really sit down with them and do some glassing both at closer objects as well as out past 1000 yards. We just had a rain shower pass through then some sun, so the atmosphere is about as clean as it gets.

Going back to the original question of carrying these rather than a spotting scope for spotting at matches.... Comparing these side by side with my current spotting scope (Konuspot 20-60x80, cheap scope but with good resolution, I've had it side by side with a Swaro and Vortex Razor spotters several times) my take is that the resolving power of the 15x56's is about the same as the spotting scope on 30 power, maybe pushing 35 power. With the binos you can definitely see clearly at 1000 yards, more than enough to call impacts on steel. Now if you're trying to pick up a 6mm bullet going into wet dirt at 1100 yards or other really fine detail, the advantage goes to the higher magnification.

On the flip side, the binos have a couple advantages over the spotting scope. One is the massive field of view which is super sharp edge to edge. For spotting on a stage with multiple targets it's going to be much easier to have all the targets in view at the same time, and easier to reposition and locate another target. I also noticed that the depth of focus was a LOT deeper with the binos. Near and far objects were more in focus. The plus of this was that you can see more stuff going on in the air between you and the target. Anything with dust/pollen/etc floating in the wind, or light rain, or bugs is a lot easier to pick up since it's in focus and there's a wider view. Could be an advantage for getting a wind call in some circumstances. Not much mirage going on here today, but I think you'll be able to see some with the binos. Probably advantage goes to the spotter though on being able to read mirage.

Handholding will also be totally fine for an initial walk up on a stage where you need to locate and identify targets. Another plus will be that scouting at 15x will be roughly the same magnification you shoot at.

Ultimately the Swaros are just way more pleasing to look through. The experience is immersive and 3D, contrast/color/everything is stellar. The size is compact compared to my spotter (though they weigh almost as much!). Mine came with a Rick Young neoprene cover and I like it, very handy way to protect the binos when thrown into a pack but still easily accessible. I can even leave the tripod mount on the binos with the cover attached.

Anyhow, enough rambling... here's a pic. :)

IMG_0868_zpsogcau2cm.jpg

This is the exact kind of review I've been waiting for. I have the razor spotter but when glassing, I'm mainly on the lowest setting. Much appreciated your detailed review and I'm pretty sure I'll be on the look out for some 15x56 swaros. After that, I'll figure out if I'll need the razor spotter in addition to these binos

First range day with them today, shooting between 525 and 1225 yards, side by side with my spotting scope. My buddy preferred the binos even for the longer range stuff. I was super impressed as well. It's amazing both how well you can see plus how big of an area you can see. We had wind/rain and clouds blowing through and being able to watch the atmosphere while spotting was incredible. I don't think I'm going to be bringing my spotter to the range much anymore.

Shut up and take my money already! I'm on the Swaro lookout. Thanks again for the updates Sheldon!!

Ive owned both the Vortex and Swaro 15x binos and also a HD Vortex spotting scope. I only own the Swaro binos now. The vortex binos are impressive, def best in class for $1k mark. They don't compare to the Swaro ones. I also sold my spotting scope because it never got used. Spotting with the Swaro binos is so much easier and amazing. FOV, clarity, eye fatigue etc etc etc. Easily best purchase I have bought.

GL

DT

Ive owned both the Vortex and Swaro 15x binos and also a HD Vortex spotting scope. I only own the Swaro binos now. The vortex binos are impressive, def best in class for $1k mark. They don't compare to the Swaro ones. I also sold my spotting scope because it never got used. Spotting with the Swaro binos is so much easier and amazing. FOV, clarity, eye fatigue etc etc etc. Easily best purchase I have bought.

GL

DT

Pretty much what I've been reading. I own a nice spotter and decent binos but if I buy the swaros, I'll be selling both and using the swaros for spotting shots and glassing for hunts

Used the Swaro 15x56 SLC HD binos for the first time in a match this past weekend. Shot in the Karstetter Memorial match which is a 2 day field match in northern WA state. The terrain is amazing, some very tough target locations hidden in the trees, all targets were grey/unpainted. Ranges went out to 1200 yards.

Binos were fine handheld when first doing a stage walkup. The field of view is tighter than a set of 10x binos so you need to have a general sense of where to look before you start glassing for the target location, but no problem doing a scout/walkthrough. Then once we were briefed on the stage I'd throw them on the tripod and on target.

I did a lot of spotting other shooters either before I shot or while I waited for our squad to finish up. Binos were AWESOME for this. I could see mirage, bullet trace and impacts no problem. Even at the 1200 yard stage I think I saw most/all of the misses that the RO's on spotting scopes did. I actually peaked through some of the spotting scopes they were using and in some cases the binos were actually better than a zoomed in spotter, depending on how good of a spotter it was. There was one stage where I clearly saw an impact on a small 610 yard piece of steel that the RO missed and was able to clear that up with the RO after the shooter was done (respectfully, of course).

I'm definitely going to carry these with me on future matches. They were worth the extra weight in my pack and were a huge help.

My dad came across this very same dilemma when he was finally ready to buy himself a nice pair of Binos. I stressed constantly for him to look at the Razors. So he took them out side by side to a comparable mag Swaro and while he said the Swaro edged them out, he couldn't justify the 1500$ price disparity.

My vote goes to the Razors. Swaros are a fine choice but like every other category Vortex has established itself in on the high end, i honestly think they can't be beat for the money. You could sink the extra cash into two barrel swaps, ammo, a can, you name it and still find great use out of the Razors and not be disappointed.

Just like their Gen II despite all the rave about the 624i I sat behind the 2 for nearly an hour comparing them (least to my eyes) and just couldn't see a 500-900$ difference. The Kahles is a phenomenal scope, that's not to sway anyone away from it, just stating my observation and opinion.

Just following up on this. About a month after posting this thread I purchased the Swaro 15x56 binos. There is nothing, period, that I have looked through that compares to these! Absolutely amazing quality. Spotting bullet trace is effortless. Very happy with my purchase.

Just following up on this. About a month after posting this thread I purchased the Swaro 15x56 binos. There is nothing, period, that I have looked through that compares to these! Absolutely amazing quality. Spotting bullet trace is effortless. Very happy with my purchase.

Sound s Nice, Being Swaro's are reward enough but to get all that added bonus is what we all want, Congrats on the out come, I'm glad it all worked out.

Thanks for the up date.

John.

Congrats! They are amazing indeed, I've been using the heck out of mine and bringing them to every match. They have done duty as the only spotter for our squad in one match where we self RO'd, and they are perfect for watching the conditions downrange to see what's happening with the wind as you get ready to shoot. Absolutely amazing glass, don't see myself going back to a spotting scope.

I've been continuously looking online for a "reasonably" priced 15x56.... still on the hunt. as the hunt continues, vortex razor gen 1 spotter still serving its purpose. I still like to see first hand positive experiences. this will reaffirm my future purchase. thanks

John.

yes tripod for sure. I think ideally, after doing some extensive research, after purchasing some 15x power binos, will likely sell the spotter

No, you will not sell your spotter, you will permanently lend it to me.

Got back from a safari trip in Africa last month and while there I used a set of Vortex Viper HD 10x42s the majority of the time. At the last lodge we visited the guide had a set of the Swaro CL 8x30 Africa additions she he let me look though. I cant even begin to explain the differences in the color, clarity and crispness of the Swaro's compared to the Vortex. Granted they were Vipers and not Razors I was comparing against but the Swaro's were also the CL's not the EL's. She let me hold on to them for a lot of the game drives so there were several different stops we made were I could compare the two in different lights/settings and the differences were amazing.

I was hooked, came back and ordered a pair of the EL Range 10x42's from Euro Optic. Patiently awaiting for them to arrive.