• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Swarovski Optiks and ARC Rings

tacops1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2009
    Maryland USA
    Hello

Question for y’all….

Is anyone using ARC Rings on a Swarovski Optik? I’m curious as Swarovski says don’t use more than 18inch pounds max on its tubes and ARC uses 55 inch pound single screw design is curious if it’s ok

Minor engineering rant, torque is a HORRIBLE metric for strength limits of scope tubes. What you care about is bolt preload, which corresponds directly to how hard the scope is squeezed, and the preload needs to be high enough to hold and low enough to not crush the tube. How spread out the force is (eg how much tube is covered by ring) impacts the latter.

Bolt preload scales linearly with applied torque and inversely with bolt size.

Long story short, most ring manufacturers barely tighten a couple small bolts. ARC uses a larger bolt and needs more torque to clamp the scope just as well. Don’t worry about it.

Minor engineering rant, torque is a HORRIBLE metric for strength limits of scope tubes. What you care about is bolt preload, which corresponds directly to how hard the scope is squeezed, and the preload needs to be high enough to hold and low enough to not crush the tube. How spread out the force is (eg how much tube is covered by ring) impacts the latter.

Bolt preload scales linearly with applied torque and inversely with bolt size.

Long story short, most ring manufacturers barely tighten a couple small bolts. ARC uses a larger bolt and needs more torque to clamp the scope just as well. Don’t worry about it.
    Thanks that makes me feel better and I thought 💭 this myself but I’m trying to be safe & reassuring myself at the same time

I seen a few guys say they used ARC rings on a swaro but only went 35-40 inch pounds ? Wonder if the full 55 is ok I’m using it on an X5i 5-25x56 30mm main tube

Reactions: gnochi
    That info from a scope manufacturer isn’t much help unless they describe the rings used; in particular, how many screws per rings would be most helpful.

Reactions: tacops1