• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The point of a Craddock 7.5 - 8" 223 Wylde barrel?

Bilb0

Enthusiast
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2023
Dexter, Missouri
Weird question I'm trying to figure out.

What would be some important points of why someone would want to pay for the expense to make a Craddock Precision 7-5" 8", .223 Wylde barrel (pistol gas) made from 416R Shilen blank, with 1:8" twist?

Quite curious lol

Thanks

Reactions: simonp
My 7.5 inch nay-k ran like a champ, is that round just better suited to short gas systems?

These are truly "bargain" Craddock Precision barrels - because they're made from "drops" - or what's left over from a full length blank cut by Craddock to 14.5" - 20". The first guy buying a barrel absorbed the majority of the cost.

They will shoot absolutely lights out - considerably sub-MOA - if you're a precision nut and willing to invest in match grade ammo and throw a piece of quality glass on top.

Even if you're not willing to make such investments, and shoot crap ammo, you still get a barrel expertly countered and chambered, far, far better quality than the usual fodder out there.

Anything with "Craddock Precision" on it is worth the $$$.

Last edited:
These are truly "bargain" Craddock Precision barrels - because they're made from "drops" - or what's left over from a Bartlein full length blank cut by Craddock to 14.5" - 20". The first guy buying a barrel absorbed the majority of the cost.
Bingo

Reactions: Bilb0
These are truly "bargain" Craddock Precision barrels - because they're made from "drops" - or what's left over from a Bartlein full length blank cut by Craddock to 14.5" - 20". The first guy buying a barrel absorbed the majority of the cost.

They will shoot absolutely lights out - considerably sub-MOA - if you're a precision nut and willing to invest in match grade ammo and throw a piece of quality glass on top.

Even if you're not willing to make such investments, and shoot crap ammo, you still get a barrel expertly countered and chambered, far, far better quality than the usual fodder out there.

I would agree that all of this is true, but it still doesn't answer the "why?"
Just seems like a very strange barrel configuration to be concerned about blank quality and accuracy. This is coming from a guy that loves shooting 800+ yards with a 13.7" 5.56, so I'm no stranger to doing weird stuff with sub optimal equipment just because I can, but the purpose for this one still escapes me.

Reactions: Bakwa and Bilb0
Just seems like a very strange barrel configuration to be concerned about blank quality and accuracy. This is coming from a guy that loves shooting 800+ yards with a 13.7" 5.56, so I'm no stranger to doing weird stuff with sub optimal equipment just because I can, but the purpose for this one still escapes me.
Are you running a RLGS on your 13.7"? 🤣🤣🤣

Just joking. I also prefer long gas tubes but I'm making up for "other" things.

Are you running a RLGS on your 13.7"? 🤣🤣🤣

Just joking. I also prefer long gas tubes but I'm making up for "other" things.
LOL, just a lowly MLGS like a peasant. I would like to do an intermediate 13.5" as my next custom barrel, but that's really splitting hairs between the 12.5" and 13.7" I've already got.

Reactions: LRRPF52
LOL, just a lowly MLGS like a peasant. I would like to do an intermediate 13.5" as my next custom barrel, but that's really splitting hairs between the 12.5" and 13.7" I've already got.
I wonder how a gas tube attached to a DT suppressor would work. Before someone says it's a stupid idea, consider no drilled hole in the barrel and no need to take pictures and bitch about burrs and asking "do I need to send it back". It would get boring around here...

Damn, did I just come up a new idea while being a smart-ass? Genius comes in many forms!

Reactions: JerkyFreak

Yes! "Very strange configuration to be concerned with quality and accuracy"; would the accuracy become miraculously a tack driver at a longer distance due to Craddock quality?

Yes! "Very strange configuration to be concerned with quality and accuracy"; would the accuracy become miraculously a tack driver at a longer distance due to Craddock quality?
I had a 12.5 inch bartlein 223 gun a long time ago. It did pretty good iffin I remember correctly. I think the gas was carbine and not pistol though. Dang that has been a long time ago, wish I could remember more about it.

It may be a tack driver, but you can only fight the ballistics loss from a 1950fps starting velocity with accuracy so much.

Well sheeit, forgot all about that. Might as well delete this thread.

I won the offer on the Craddock barrel I mentioned so looks like I'll be having some interesting feedback after the build is complete😂 I wanted to do a kitty kat build with something unique and seems like I hit the nail on the head with running into this barrel.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I won the offer on the Craddock barrel I mentioned so looks like I'll be having some interesting feedback after the build is complete😂 I wanted to do a kitty kat build with something unique and seems like I hit the nail on the head with running into this barrel.
Put a 35X scope on it and shoot some groups for Maury.

This is a good point, and I didn't even realize that's what he's doing. Pretty cool.

Reactions: MSTN
I do NOT agree. I have found a a very stiff, fat, and well finished 5 1/3" incher (rounded up) will not show deflection regardless of heat.

Wait, what the hell was the question???
Stiff and fat never makes up for your lack of length. People are just telling you that so they don't hurt your feelings.

Reactions: DHDeal
7.5" barrel uppers were quite a thing 20 or so years ago.

Here are some chrono numbers from back then from a Noveske 7.5":

M193 2364 FPS

M855 2244 FPS

MK 262 2053 FPS

The MK 262 was easily capable of sub-MOA groups.

I wonder how a gas tube attached to a DT suppressor would work. Before someone says it's a stupid idea, consider no drilled hole in the barrel and no need to take pictures and bitch about burrs and asking "do I need to send it back". It would get boring around here...

Damn, did I just come up a new idea while being a smart-ass? Genius comes in many forms!
There’s nothing new under the sun.

Look up gas trap m1 Garands. Yeah, it could work. But, they ultimately went with a hole drilled in the barrel. Simpler and more reliable.

These are clearly for PRS. So easy to mauever you would save a ton of time

I'm still sitting on a 7.5" WOA .223 Wylde barrel and a 7.5" Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel barrel that were both impulse purchases before I had kids... I had planned to throw together a backpack gun for shits & giggles with a bunch of spare parts, but I have had zero free time with a toddler & a newborn running around. One day I'll get things together and post my results...