• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

Yeah cnc work doesn’t always require a lot of hands on skill. But this was a large piece that turned out pretty nice.
Started with a 43lb, 10”x12”x4” block of 6061.
Ended at 9.5lbs

World’s largest scope ring? 😀
Bricks for scale.

IMG_1037.jpeg

Reactions: ZiaHunter
Wonder if there was a hot permit and a fire watch. Pretty much SOP on our jobs if any combustible materials are near by. Have set little fires while welding and you don't notice it when you are under the hood until you sense a different smell or feel heat.

Wonder if there was a hot permit and a fire watch. Pretty much SOP on our jobs if any combustible materials are near by. Have set little fires while welding and you don't notice it when you are under the hood until you sense a different smell or feel heat.
And in the time it takes to burn one rod a spark in the cuff of a pair of Carhartt bibs can burn a sizeable hole in the leg material.

Being a "farmer welder" I have done quite a bit of welding in the field. If I am alone I have made it a point to stop quite often and look around. If I have someone with me they can keep their back to the work as best they can and holler if the grass starts on fire. I have started fires just grinding to clean things up to start to weld.

I am not likely to start building this till mid-end of June. But I do plan on doing a run down on when I build my plasma table.

I have already printed all the 3d parts, just waiting on my retirement at the start of June to get here and me to get settled in to my new life before starting on it.

Post it. I do like seeing what others are working on, machined parts, all of it. There is something very cool about things that are made from a block of material.
* As long as you are allowed to post it.

I can't show the stuff I make at work. I use internet pictures only or things that are in a public place.

Reactions: Makinchips208
* As long as you are allowed to post it.

I can't show the stuff I make at work. I use internet pictures only or things that are in a public place.
Yes. I have the same conditions here. I would hope everyone knows what they can and cannot post. But still a good reminder.

Reactions: LeftyJason
What I can share.

I run one of these. Internet pic.
image-asset.jpeg

Making these. Front half spins 17k and back spins 30k. Used to turn the back rotors. Have ground them as well. These pics taken at the Leonardo museum a few years ago.
20161119_125319.jpg

Now I grind fuel slingers. Top arrow points to the back where I grind a thread. I also grind the labby tips both pre and post clad. There is also a diameter I grind to +/-0.0001". 85% of what I grind is inconel. Rest is Mar m 247 or 15-5.
Screenshot_20240516_100016_Gallery.jpg

20161119_125331.jpg

End product. Fj44-4a-qpm
httpswww.flyingmag.comsitesflyingmag.comfilesimages201708engine-1.jpg

Pilatus pc24
5943c5d0ddc71_5938e9b1416ad_Pilatus-Aircraft-Ltd-3rd-pc-24-maidenflight02.jpg

Same engine. future Honda jet echelon
HJ2_375.jpg

Different versions go into these.
180177-10944355.jpg

Cessna citation cj1 through cj4
cessna_citation_cj_1.jpg

Kratos xq58
XQ-58-drone-release.jpg

Cirrus sf50
VeriJet-Vision-Jet-private-jet-charter-e1616195353210.png

Smaller engine. Engine now blue. 60k rpm.
twcruz45.jpg

Hill afb
20210612_103106.jpg

BGM-109_Blk_III-1C.jpg

Darpa gremlin
gremlins-recovery-c-130.jpg

Also do stuff for these
Taures kepd350
taurus.jpg

Aero L39ng
L-39NG-1024x768.png

Bqm74
Gbqm74.jpg

I'm in a totally different sector, but I tell kids that all my life people have paid me to have fun. Those look like some awesome toys to play with all day. ;)

Reactions: Balor
Call me slow, and behind the times, but how does a turbine have two different inlet and outlet speeds, if they're the same shaft and the back powering the front? (and vicey-versey?)
Eg; Pratt & Whitney PT-6 series of turbo shaft engines are "free turbines" in that they have seperate compressor and hot section shafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Call me slow, and behind the times, but how does a turbine have two different inlet and outlet speeds, if they're the same shaft and the back powering the front? (and vicey-versey?)

TLDR: it's a secret and if I tell you, I gotta kill you.

Volume of air in front vs rear.

Imagine a cone with the wide end being the inlet. The skinny end is the outlet/nozzle.
It's diameter/volume is, let's say 10x
what the outlet/nozzle of the cone is.
Compress that large front volume and the velocity going through the narrow end increases.

Brass musical instruments are another example of this, only reversed. The volume is tuned via the keys, which change the volume and pitch of the air movement.

Ammunition cartridges work on a very similar principle to the jet engine.
6BR vs 30BR.
Both have nearly the same case capacity. Stick 30gr of Varget and a 108 projectile into either one and the 6 will produce more pressure at the case mouth and on the transducer.
Since the 30 has a larger "nozzle" it takes more powder to get equal pressure.
In fact, most 30-BRs are shot with 34.8-35.5 gr of a faster burning powder than used in the 6-BR.

Lots of combat aircraft that use P&W engines have adjustable nozzle sections.
The turkey feathers at the back end can expand and contract to change the nozzle pressure and air volume going out the back end.

Low pressure shaft with low pressure rotors and high pressure shaft with high pressure rotors. Lp inside of hp. How it all works beyond that idk.

Ok I bought a new inverter MIG/TIG/Spool/Stick machine (same brand as my plasma torch) and it is “synergic” in that it adjusts wire speed and power (based on material thickness) up and down in sync.

My old MIG was separate controls.

There is a “fine” adjustment on it to allow +-3v to fine tune to your style/needs.

This is actually adjusting voltage up or down independently from wire speed right? To be slightly hotter or cooler depending on how you like it?

If this is correct I will start with zero trim and see how it is. May not need to move anything for mild steel.

I operate CNC grinders to make linear motion blocks. I work to .007 microns daily. Our parts are used inside CNC machines for accuracy.
We manufacture our own "Mother" machines in house, which are capable of making parts so accurate that you can make your parts on a CNC machine.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Thanks guys. Until this point, I was under the impression that it was all one shaft, and that the 'powered expansion/spinning' of the output end is what drove the input end to 'grab' more air and compress it down.

Exponentially, to the point of diminishing returns. (That's the very short version, of what principle I had in my head.)

Again, appreciate the clarification.

Ok I bought a new inverter MIG/TIG/Spool/Stick machine (same brand as my plasma torch) and it is “synergic” in that it adjusts wire speed and power (based on material thickness) up and down in sync.

My old MIG was separate controls.

There is a “fine” adjustment on it to allow +-3v to fine tune to your style/needs.

This is actually adjusting voltage up or down independently from wire speed right? To be slightly hotter or cooler depending on how you like it?

If this is correct I will start with zero trim and see how it is. May not need to move anything for mild steel.
That sounds about right. If the machine is red, the synergic settings were created to make setting up voltage/ wire speed easier for novice
welders. Since it's been nearly impossible to find experienced production welders in the past 20 years they had to make it as easy as possibly to set
up a machine.

Thanks guys. Until this point, I was under the impression that it was all one shaft, and that the 'powered expansion/spinning' of the output end is what drove the input end to 'grab' more air and compress it down.

Exponentially, to the point of diminishing returns. (That's the very short version, of what principle I had in my head.)

Again, appreciate the clarification.
Been a while since I watched this but shows how some engines work. The ones I make have fewer stages, aren't as big, and spin faster.