• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on KRG W3

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’m looking for people’s thoughts and opinions on the W3, I’m looking for something to add modularity to my current comp rifles in regards to weight and additional adjustability compared to my current PRS1’s from manner.

I’m sure some will suggest stepping up to the C4 from them, but unfortunately buying two of them would be a bit painful at 2K a piece when the W3 is right around 1k depending on options.

Last edited:
    The W3 might seem a lot cheaper than the C4, but when you start adding accessories it can get expensive fast. It would be worthwhile to consider which options you want to add to the W3 and compare to what comes standard on the C4.

I have a W3 with a heavy bag rider, heavy arca rail, spigot, and over-molded cheekpiece. I find it more comfortable than my MPA Matrix, though I do like all of the grip, thumb rest, and trigger finger rest options that the Matrix offers. I am happy enough with the W3 that I'm probably going to end up with another one for my PRS/NRL 22 rifle eventually.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I don’t have the W3 but I have the X-ray. My biggest complaint is the forend is pretty short. Not 100% the X-ray and W3 share the same forend length

I’m a big fan of the W3. But know that the $1000 price will be more like $1300 - $1600 once you add accessories.

I also agree with the above, I think the forend is short on my X-Ray & W3. I went the spigot route and will probably replace with either the enclosed arca forend or the Vision hand guard. I went with the fixed buttstock, but I would get the folder if I was buying again today.

I really like the W3's ergonomics, but in terms of adding weights and fitment, the ACC Elite and Premiers that I've had are a little more modular. A used ACC might be something to consider.

I second and third the assessment that the W3 is both awesome and gets $$$ fast with accessories. I love the thing.

The C4’s adjustable magwell, up/down bag rider, and lack of a folding option are its biggest differentiators for me (I don’t need a long forend).

Tiny bummer that it doesn’t come with a folder, but the cheekpiece comes off so easy I’m sure I wouldn’t miss it. I never fold it for transport in a soft case anyway as I have the scope mounted far enough back that, once folded, the eyepiece overhangs the chassis.

I guess if I traveled with a hard case a folder would allow me to use a shorter case, but I hate hard cases and don’t fly to shoots.

If you want a sweet handgrip for the W3 then check this thread (link at bottom). I got @Tyler Kemp to make me what I feel was the missing link. The W3 now feels like a goatskin glove.

1714572998111.jpeg

1714572960253.jpeg

1714572975549.jpeg

Write up:

Can’t say enough great things about MKM/Tyler!

If I didn't have JAE chassis', I would personally be strongly considering the KRG Whiskey-3 comp chassis'.

@Secant—- did you have to remove the barreled action to install the spigot on X-ray? I’ve been debating a spigot vs arca enclosed forend.

I will admit adding the stuff I want definitely raises the price pretty quickly and brings it closer to the C4 than I thought originally.
    Yeah but you can buy the bits and pieces over time spreading the pain.

Reactions: Jscb1b
    I prefer my w3 and x-ray's over my orxy and has. The krg fits better to me.

Yeah but you can buy the bits and pieces over time spreading the pain.
    Very true, I mean I can get it with the enclosed arca forend from them and add the little bit of weight I want. Then see what I want to tweak on it and get it down the road

@Secant—- did you have to remove the barreled action to install the spigot on X-ray? I’ve been debating a spigot vs arca enclosed forend.
    No, you only have to remove whichever forend you have from the backbone. Screws that hold the spigot in place install from the bottom through the spigot into the backbone.

Reactions: Basher
    I second and third the assessment that the W3 is both awesome and gets $$$ fast with accessories. I love the thing.

The C4’s adjustable magwell, up/down bag rider, and lack of a folding option are its biggest differentiators for me (I don’t need a long forend).

Tiny bummer that it doesn’t come with a folder, but the cheekpiece comes off so easy I’m sure I wouldn’t miss it. I never fold it for transport in a soft case anyway as I have the scope mounted far enough back that, once folded, the eyepiece overhangs the chassis.

I guess if I traveled with a hard case a folder would allow me to use a shorter case, but I hate hard cases and don’t fly to shoots.

If you want a sweet handgrip for the W3 then check this thread (link at bottom). I got @Tyler Kemp to make me what I feel was the missing link. The W3 now feels like a goatskin glove.

View attachment 8408619

View attachment 8408617

View attachment 8408618

Write up:

Can’t say enough great things about MKM/Tyler!
    That’s definitely a slick setup, got everything supported and in the proper place

Reactions: carbonbased
    I ran a w3 with enclosed forend and weights last year for some matches and a class, I enjoyed it and if I ever went back to a chassis I’d definitely choose krg again.

With that said I found I rarely needed the “modularity” outside of adding the weights and enclosed forend and went to a Foundation with brass weight kit and anarchy brass arca . I do miss the folding stock for ease of transport and removing bolt for cleaning. Also if I had a long LOP krg hands down.

Last edited:
    Reactions: King_beardsly