• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on swapping Razor AMG for MK5?

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I’m debating selling off my razor AMG for a Leupold Mk5. Likely the 7-35x model as it’s the same length and only a couple ounces more than the 5-25x. Looking at PR2 mil reticle.

Any thoughts from those that have had both?

Reactions: CSTactical
I should add I’ve had or tried multiple Cronus BTR, NF NX8, Bushnell XRS3 and LRHS, viper PST.

Keep coming back to the AMG.

Only ones in this class I haven’t tried are the Mk5 and XTR3

For what purpose? What are you doing with this rifle?

This is on my 20" suppressed tikka CTR in 6.5CM. Do all varmint/deer and steel banger. I put about 2,000 rounds through it a year. most shots are in the 200-400 range. Longest steel target access I have is 750.

35x is a bit overkill for this, but it is nice confirming the head of a groundhog once the beans and grass get high. Seeing detail of hits on Steel, zeroing etc.

Last edited:
I have a hard imagining how more than 24x would be useful on that rifle. Do you often find yourself on 24x and wishing you had more ?
If so the MK5 is a fine scope in its price range.

U
I have a hard imagining how more than 24x would be useful on that rifle. Do you often find yourself on 24x and wishing you had more ?
If so the MK5 is a fine scope in its price range.

30x is about ideal for the ground hog head situation and zeroing. 24x is plenty for just getting a hit on a plate, a deer or if the field communist is the entire way out of its hole.

I liked the higher power on the NX8 and Cronus, but didn’t like the glass, parallax or turrets compared to the AMG.

Barreled action is currently with LRI for some fluting and cerakote work, so I’m not out any time or ammo currently to take a look at the Mk5.

XTR3 / Pro is a better optic for the money, both optically and mechanically.

Alot of sponsored Leupold shooters out here. Rumblings is they go through alot of them to keep up with all the matches/shooting.

XTR3 / Pro is a better optic for the money, both optically and mechanically.

Alot of sponsored Leupold shooters out here. Rumblings is they go through alot of them to keep up with all the matches/shooting.

High failure rate? Or just deciding they don't like them?

totally your call while I like the razor we have I am just not fond enough of the lack of mag range to warm my mag whore heart into replacing another scope already mounted with it .

Reactions: YotaEer
I have had two AMGs for many years including on my main competition rifle and they have performed excellently in all types of conditions. I would not ever trade an AMG for a Leupold Mk5 of any kind. I've played with them and used them and they are a decent scope but not superior to the AMG. Although decent, I didn't really like the Mk5s much, I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the turrets, the reticles, or the glass quality. My main competition rifle just got upgraded to a Tangent Theta 5-25 and although it is a better scope than the AMG, it's not twice as good even thought it's twice the price. Comparing the two just reinforces my opinion that the AMG 6-24 is an excellent scope for the money. Image quality on the AMG is very very good but not at the level of the TT or ZCO.

The one thing I wish the AMG had is a second turn indicator for the turrets. You have to keep track of it if your shooting so far that your into the 2 nd revolution of the turret and you have to remember to dial back down or you could end up taking a shot 10 mils high. Don’t ask me how I know that😃

Last edited:
What didn't you like about the bushy XRS3?
It's got one of the best glass quality and bomb proof mechanics out of anything you listed.
Along with XTR3 and Pro.......

XRS2 glass got a little dark above 25x.............but not any of the XRS3 6-36 models I've seen.

I am a big fan of the Mk5's but I am not sure I would swap a an AMG for one. At a certain level, most of this stuff is hit pretty hard with diminishing returns. Even if you were going to a S&B or TT, its not like either of those scopes are going to make or brake a shot over the AMG.

I am a fan of the Mk5's as they are a really great value when purchased with their MIL program and for what some of the higher end stuff, goes for, i can get two solid Mk5's and do everything that i need them to do for multiple rifles.

I am a big fan of the Mk5's but I am not sure I would swap a an AMG for one. At a certain level, most of this stuff is hit pretty hard with diminishing returns. Even if you were going to a S&B or TT, its not like either of those scopes are going to make or brake a shot over the AMG.

I am a fan of the Mk5's as they are a really great value when purchased with their MIL program and for what some of the higher end stuff, goes for, i can get two solid Mk5's and do everything that i need them to do for multiple rifles.

I agree. Very much a game of diminishing returns at this point. Love the AMG, literally no complaints with it other than wish it had a bit more magnification.

Reactions: GUNNER10
You either had a bad one, or didn't have the ocular adjusted correctly. I've had it on a Tripod and the glass is phenomenal. I had 3 of them.
No he is right, the XRS3 is a disappointment glass wise with a super coarse reticle. There is a reason you don't see many out there, despite a lower price than the MK5.

There is not any scenario where I’d trade an AMG for a MK5. I’m sure the MK5 is a great scope but man…those AMGs hold their own with some of the best.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I agree. Very much a game of diminishing returns at this point. Love the AMG, literally no complaints with it other than wish it had a bit more magnification.

I would like to check out some of the higher mag options but honestly for where I shoot in WV/Virginia, i think I can get away with a 3-18/5-25 class. Now if I was out west I think I would be more inclined to use a higher mag. I ran into an ODA guy that was running a NF 7-35 and he said he loved it.

I had a Gen 2 razor and Razor AMG. Now I have the Mk5 with PR2 and I wouldn’t change back to the AMG. To my eye, the glass in the Mk5 is clearer and the turrets are much more tactile and smooth. My opinion is go for it and you won’t be disappointed

I had a Gen 2 razor and Razor AMG. Now I have the Mk5 with PR2 and I wouldn’t change back to the AMG. To my eye, the glass in the Mk5 is clearer and the turrets are much more tactile and smooth. My opinion is go for it and you won’t be disappointed
That's one of the things with the mK5, they are all over the place optic wise.

Some look like crap and some look amazing. Its luck of the draw.

Their unit to unit consistency is atrocious, and having talked to a bunch of leupold engineers and assemblers at various matches, they are well aware.

They just don't care.

I used vortex CS once to replace the floating cross reticle on the original AMG with the floating dot. Nothing wrong with the scope. Was top notch and fast service. All on their dime.

I’ve heard Leupold has good service too but I have to agree, it probably won’t touch Vortex.

I did pick up a 7-35x Mk5 in the PX. I’ll
Compare it to my AMG and keep the winner.

Last edited:
I used vortex CS once to replace the floating cross reticle on the original AMG with the floating dot. Nothing wrong with the scope. Was top notch and fast service. All on their dime.

I’ve heard Leupold has good service too but I have to agree, it probably won’t touch Vortex.

I did pick up a 7-35x Mk5 in the PX here. Ill
Compare it to my AMG and keep the winner.

Please follow up here and let us know what you think.

No he is right, the XRS3 is a disappointment glass wise with a super coarse reticle. There is a reason you don't see many out there, despite a lower price than the MK5.
So, his experience negates mine? Funny shit...........Ive seen all the scopes on the market. Owned 3 XRS from Bushy and they have comparable glass to the XTR or PRO. Maybe the reason you don't see many is that they just got released during the past year and the first chance to get one was last winter.
Just got a DMR3 two days ago, the glass is brighter, has better resolution than the XTR
bullshit

Yeah, those new Bushy's sure are "dark". How many have you been behind.

Here's a new DMR3 (which is not as nice due to optical design, though has the same glass as the XRS3)........

90 Degrees today..............shooting the POS....Salvage 6 ARC

sdUz4HT.jpg

3wQy2p1.jpg

21X at 550 yards in HEAVY fucking mirage
dwTrkBh.jpg

21X at 550 yards in HEAVY fucking mirage
eV67oKD.jpg

15X at 550
PzKW8Y5.jpg

15X at 550
fRL7Jxe.jpg

21X at 100yds
YStEmTt.jpg

21X at 100 yards
khi0yrF.jpg

18x at 100
Hasa9dR.jpg

15x @ 100
ONe8WI9.jpg

These new Bushnells compete very well with most anything in their price range.

Last edited:
Took both the Mk5 and AMG out today. Glass on the AMG is maybe 10-15% better and FOV is larger.

Other than that, I prefer everything else about the Mk5. Was skeptical of the PR2 reticle but I’m a big fan. That big dot with the bracket is great.

Reactions: macmo and tnc
I think you’ll find that’s a bunch of BS. If you think a XTR3 is going to hold up to seasons of cranking then knobs on a match rifle you’re sadly mistaken too. The MK5 is a far superior optic to the Burris, it’s not even close.
Lol, a leupold would be the last brand I'd compare to a Burris when you are talking about longevity or being able to hold up to abuse. What kind of shit are you smoking?

Took both the Mk5 and AMG out today. Glass on the AMG is maybe 10-15% better and FOV is larger.

Other than that, I prefer everything else about the Mk5. Was skeptical of the PR2 reticle but I’m a big fan. That big dot with the bracket is great.

Thanks for following up!

That’s pretty much what I expected, and it fits my experience. The Mk5 is a more modern design (in terms of reticle, turrets, etc.) but optically the AMG still beats it, especially in FOV, despite having some age on it.

That explains why some would prefer the Leupy, and others the AMG.

Reactions: YotaEer
Thanks for following up!

That’s pretty much what I expected, and it fits my experience. The Mk5 is a more modern design (in terms of reticle, turrets, etc.) but optically the AMG still beats it, especially in FOV, despite having some age on it.

That explains why some would prefer the Leupy, and others the AMG.

Exactly.

I’ve tried all the “cross over” scopes at this point and think these are the 2 best packages. AMG is slightly more hunting oriented whereas Mk5 leans slightly to the target side, IMO.

A newer generation AMG that was 5-30xish with the new XLR reticle would be a big winner.