• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

Aero SOLUS in adjustable Hunter stock on its way in 6.5cm…. From midway.

May place the SOLUS action in a dif chassis and place my defiance anti-x in the Hunter stock with a light weight hunting this fall.. either way the price it’s pretty good.

My issue is:

because PA have sales all the time it causes the overall price to only be worth with the recent sale. resale is only as good as the lowest price of the recent sale..

arrow precision shoots themselves in the foot,,, and also those that paid full…

Will give full review….
This is my biggest qualm with aero. They run so many sales and offer things so cheaply that you take a huge hit if you buy stuff full price.

This is my biggest qualm with aero. They run so many sales and offer things so cheaply that you take a huge hit if you buy stuff full price.
So common in this industry.

Suppliers/mfg will run sales that at almost the same price MAP/dealer pricing.

Virtually cutting the legs off the dealers.

This industry isn’t like a “food” industry that’s an immediate need so customers just wait for the next sale knowing there is one coming in a few months.

@Terry Cross curious if you have any updated info you're willing to share about the SOLUS action and your experiences? (If there is anything to share or if you have the time) Thank you!

I picked up an Aero Solus, 20" M24 .308 in the Bravo, really liking it, getting close on load tweaking. It's not an Impact or AI, but for the money an outstanding product. I'm really hoping for a 16-18" .223 version.

Ref sales, not going to say who but I called to order some product, Called as I had a question and spoke with the owner. Well ordered a few things, forgot a couple and went to order online the next day and see a sale had started site wide. You can't tell me that the owner didn't know about the sale and would either tell me to order the next day or "start" the sale early.

Reactions: FuhQ
a guy in my squad last weekend was using a solus action and let me dry fire and mess around with it after the last stage. I was impressed! Bolt ran smooth and bolt lift was noticeably lighter than that on the tikka I was shooting.

Reactions: FuhQ and Harman117
I picked up an Aero Solus, 20" M24 .308 in the Bravo, really liking it, getting close on load tweaking. It's not an Impact or AI, but for the money an outstanding product. I'm really hoping for a 16-18" .223 version.

Ref sales, not going to say who but I called to order some product, Called as I had a question and spoke with the owner. Well ordered a few things, forgot a couple and went to order online the next day and see a sale had started site wide. You can't tell me that the owner didn't know about the sale and would either tell me to order the next day or "start" the sale early.
Not knowing the company size or owner involvement but it’s very possible.

Ownership may not even know there is a sale because it was signed off 6 months ago. “

“We have 3 sales a year I don’t know when that marketing and operations job, spring fall winter, what week end I have no idea”

As long as the financials are matching the business plan put forth by ownership they might not even care, if they aren’t involved.

“All arrows are up” and people hitting their targets/goals for KPI and revenue..don’t even email me.

Reactions: Kocher
So true about the owner not even sure about sales ….when a company gets as large as aero precision. I can’t imagine the logistics of all the different employees, supplies, everything !!!

massive operation….

Reactions: brianf
So it’s very interesting with some of the YouTube events that occurred some guys call it blackjack with the five different shots at 500 rounds.

The milk jug hunting test or milk jug different scenario milk jug shooting competition/hunting can you hit 50 out of 50 like guys claim etc. etc.

I can’t wait to set up something similar to the blackjack 500 yard that’s gonna be a blast.

I think sometimes we get so bent on the equipment has to be perfect that when it comes time to shoot right dead center of a mark, it doesn’t happen even though you could shoot a group the size of a quarter on your best day.. that group of five the size of a quarter or dime or half a dime is it where you wanted it to hit?

Or sighting and shooting at 500 yards is a big difference compared to being out in a hunting situation trying to see elevation changes, wind brush , not able to range properly, etc. etc.

unique challenges. Something that I desperately need and miss and haven’t even experienced yet because my best day, I’ll be lucky to find 100 yard Shooting range.. apparently I’m not trying hard enough so that will be my next accomplish.

we get so bent on the equipment, but we don’t even get out to actually experience it in real world what’s the point?

My aero precision Hunter is on its way and I am going to shoot the snot out of it

but I’m with what the other guy said I can’t wait till they come out with a 223 head and that’ll make for a lot cheaper shooting practicing all the fun stuff at half the price

I can’t wait..

Last edited:
So it’s very interesting with some of the YouTube events that occurred some guys call it blackjack with the five different shots at 500 rounds.

The milk jug hunting test or milk jug different scenario milk jug shooting competition/hunting can you hit 50 out of 50 like guys claim etc. etc.

I can’t wait to set up something similar to the blackjack 500 yard that’s gonna be a blast.

I think sometimes we get so bent on the equipment has to be perfect that when it comes time to shoot right dead center of a mark, it doesn’t happen even though you could shoot a group the size of a quarter on your best day.. that group of five the size of a quarter or dime or half a dime is it where you wanted it to hit?

Or sighting and shooting at 500 yards is a big difference compared to being out in a hunting situation trying to see elevation changes, wind brush , not able to range properly, etc. etc.

unique challenges. Something that I desperately need and miss and haven’t even experienced yet because my best day, I’ll be lucky to find 100 yard Shooting range.. apparently I’m not trying hard enough so that will be my next accomplish.

we get so bent on the equipment, but we don’t even get out to actually experience it in real world what’s the point?

My aero precision Hunter is on its way and I am going to shoot, and shot, and short, and shoot…

but I’m with what the other guy said I can’t wait till they come out with a 223 head and that’ll make for a lot cheaper shooting practicing when calls all the fun stuff at half the price

For now, I’m just gonna throw a 223 on my savage

I can’t wait..
Truth man. Hit me hard. I need to just be grateful for what I have and run it.

To be clear, not talking about Aero. It was just a reference as within the thread mention was made about sales, etc.

I just received a pair of solus actions. My observations so far. One unit has relatively lightly bolt lift for a 3 lug, the other is heavier. Tenon threads are not timed the same. Trigger hanger plays fine with. TT trigger, but a BnA will need low sear height. Headspace is within 0.00025 of another they're the serial numbers are way apart. It's the same exact spec as the print from solus/origin. I have a low round count 6br origin prefit headed this way that I'll be screwing on. Test fed some 22br through an AW mag(hrd br kit) with one my 22br origin barrels screwed on, and it fed very well. The actions feel like 650$ actions, smooth if ran perfectly, but side load the bolt a little and the get sticky. Hoping they smooth out after some rounds, and the heavier bolt lift goes away on the one action, time will tell!

I just received a pair of solus actions. My observations so far. One unit has relatively lightly bolt lift for a 3 lug, the other is heavier. Tenon threads are not timed the same. Trigger hanger plays fine with. TT trigger, but a BnA will need low sear height. Headspace is within 0.00025 of another they're the serial numbers are way apart. It's the same exact spec as the print from solus/origin. I have a low round count 6br origin prefit headed this way that I'll be screwing on. Test fed some 22br through an AW mag(hrd br kit) with one my 22br origin barrels screwed on, and it fed very well. The actions feel like 650$ actions, smooth if ran perfectly, but side load the bolt a little and the get sticky. Hoping they smooth out after some rounds, and the heavier bolt lift goes away on the one action, time will tell!
I skipped the Solus action but I got to see the chassis in person and was surprised by it. I’m a fan but I do wish it had a full bridge option and Aero is really dragging their feet on the folder. Personally I’m not an Aero precision fan. I have this chassis and one lower. I think those are their best products.

Attachments

• IMG_7751.jpeg
    IMG_7751.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 71
1-all actions bind when you side load them
2-are you comparing bolt lift w/o the trigger packs installed ?

Sounds like you have 2-dif triggers installed and 2-dif bolt lifts?

As bolt lift with triggers installed is sear drag.

Trigger hanger plays fine with. TT trigger, but a BnA will need low sear height.

Interesting. I have one I bought from PVA with a 308 barrel and I have a BnA Tacsport Pro X and it’s working fine the way it was set up at the factory which I thought was the medium sear height.

Interesting. I have one I bought from PVA with a 308 barrel and I have a BnA Tacsport Pro X and it’s working fine the way it was set up at the factory which I thought was the medium sear height.
I need to measure mine, but I suspect it wouldn't play nice with the BnA medium sear based on how much cock on close I'm getting with the TT that's in it.

Reactions: KYAggie
1-all actions bind when you side load them
2-are you comparing bolt lift w/o the trigger packs installed ?

Sounds like you have 2-dif triggers installed and 2-dif bolt lifts?

As bolt lift with triggers installed is sear drag.
1- some get much worse than otherd side loaded, this is one of them, this unit doesn't handle hardly any side pressure. A lone peak fuzion or my old DLC origin you can run like a crayon munching retard and they're still smooth. I'm sure they'll smoothe out in time, hopefully......

2- yes comparing lift w/o triggers and with them.

1- some get much worse than otherd side loaded, this is one of them, this unit doesn't handle hardly any side pressure. A lone peak fuzion or my old DLC origin you can run like a crayon munching retard and they're still smooth. I'm sure they'll smoothe out in time, hopefully......

2- yes comparing lift w/o triggers and with them.
Thank you for clarifying . Some know about actions some guys know very little , give a retard a phone, he’ll try and turn the TV on with it

Received my error, precision solace, and put a little bit of lube on the bolt which I do on all my guns and I put quite a bit of lien on that sideways bolt and it still ran like butter.

where there’s metal on metal you gotta have lubrication

Dare I say this one runs better than my defiance anti-X action…?? Glides like bearings I don’t think my defiance does that, but I have to remember that my bolt handle is completely hollowed out for weight reduction.

This one has got a fair amount of weight in the handle which aids in maintaining the motion once you start the extraction/bolt back towards you

what do you know they already did the competition recess mod to the rear end !!!

all the other custom $1700 action makers don’t do this. That’s kind of a shitty deal if you ask me.
I’m not sure why there wouldn’t be any reason not to do this?

all of your PC Hall of Fame shooters like speedy Gonzalez do this mod

After they come out with a different bolt heads, there will be no other reason for me to buy any other bolt action manufacturer.

The action seems solid, but I haven’t shot it yet so again we’ll see. Maybe I’m jumping the gun here, but I’m pretty excited so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I found one negative, but it’s not even an aero precision item. I believe it’s a Hawkins metal magazine release is very sharp edged. I don’t know why they don’t have that rounded, but that little sucker … it’s a bit sharp in my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 39
Well, super happy go , no go gage = Exactly how I set up my Nut barrel actions where the action does not even begin to close on the no go gauge.

Aeroprecision did a perfect headspace in my opinion

where there’s metal on metal you gotta have lubrication.
I kinda disagree. I run all my nitride or DLC actions dry. Lube your action and go shoot a windy match in a dry day with dust blowing everywhere. I'd be cleaning the action every stage, no go for a match rig.

Other complaint is the cock on close, their website clearly states a cock on open designed but it's closer to 70/30 split as I get 0.060" of cocking when closing the bolt with a TT trigger installed. Also only measured 0.212" firing pin fall. Likely adequate if the fp spring is heavy enough.

I'll get a few hundred rounds down it and reevaluate!

what do you know they already did the competition recess mod to the rear end !!!

all the other custom $1700 action makers don’t do this. That’s kind of a shitty deal if you ask me.
I’m not sure why there wouldn’t be any reason not to do this?

all of your PC Hall of Fame shooters like speedy Gonzalez do this mod

After they come out with a different bolt heads, there will be no other reason for me to buy any other bolt action manufacturer.

The action seems solid, but I haven’t shot it yet so again we’ll see. Maybe I’m jumping the gun here, but I’m pretty excited so far.

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a recess mod?

FYI I'm just under 800rds on my first Solus with the stock 6.5 barrel withno issues. Bolt is a good bit smoother than when new as is bolt lift. I don't lube it anymore, also didn't completely degrease it. Bolt can't be handled without getting greasy fingers.

Couldn’t pass up the deal midway has going right now on the solus hunter so I ordered 2. These will be my first experience with the solus. $1500 for these is a steal. Hopefully aero releases a 373 bolt face soon so I can turn one of them into a 223.

Couldn’t pass up the deal midway has going right now on the solus hunter so I ordered 2. These will be my first experience with the solus. $1500 for these is a steal. Hopefully aero releases a 373 bolt face soon so I can turn one of them into a 223.
Yeah, that’s what I did too, but I didn’t get two of them. Maybe I should’ve….

I’m certain they’ll have the competition rifle on sale with the rifle, chassis barrel, action and such About the same price on one of their sales..

I kinda disagree. I run all my nitride or DLC actions dry. Lube your action and go shoot a windy match in a dry day with dust blowing everywhere. I'd be cleaning the action every stage, no go for a match rig.

Other complaint is the cock on close, their website clearly states a cock on open designed but it's closer to 70/30 split as I get 0.060" of cocking when closing the bolt with a TT trigger installed. Also only measured 0.212" firing pin fall. Likely adequate if the fp spring is heavy enough.

I'll get a few hundred rounds down it and reevaluate!
for my rifles yet always had them on some sort of tripod and around a lot of grass
… I have got to agree with your sentiment about not wanting lube.( My anti-ex is just bare metal so it has to have some)

this will be my hunting rifle so I doubt I’ll be out in some dirty field shooting 100 rounds flat on my belly with the barrel compensator blowing every which way with each shot.

I also am not in another country in a 200 vehicle convoy formation, going down a dusty road, having to fight a bunch of goat farmers carrying AK-47s.

If that was the case, I’d get out the brake degreaser and spray it on all my bolt and inside my AR 15, or risk it being fouled considerably with that fine sand or a.k.a. 220 grit Lapping compound.

Once I got out of the truck, then I’d probably dump some oil in it because a little bit of lapping compound never hurt them.

you make some excellent points though as I’d probably make the mistake and have too much lube on my bolt action and it probably get all gritty if I was shooting in Highwind dusty environment like you have done with your rifles.

Has anybody ran like dry lube or something close to it in there bolt action, guns or is it always asking for some sort of trouble when in dusty conditions in a competition?

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a recess mod?

FYI I'm just under 800rds on my first Solus with the stock 6.5 barrel withno issues. Bolt is a good bit smoother than when new as is bolt lift. I don't lube it anymore, also didn't completely degrease it. Bolt can't be handled without getting greasy fingers.
The first bolt is a stock defiance action bolt noticed the rear hood is close to the trigger seer catch ( I think that’s what you call it. ) but the right picture is all relieved. I circled the area that they cut out .

The last picture shows the entire bolt shroud/hood rear of the bolt so you understand where that is located.

Not everyone knows this, but the cats came out of the bag now… I’m sure companies will start machining out relief in the rear hood on their bolt and sell them that way

it has to do with releasing the firing pin and prevent any binding when you pull the trigger

I tried looking up what these parts are actually called, but in any of the Remington online diagrams, they don’t name any of those areas. The only thing they name or even locate is roll pin replacement in that area the bolt so who knows what it’s actually called

I’m just regurgitating what I’ve watched and videos from guys that are in the know…
I’m not the smartest guy, but I got him on speed dial

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2017.png
    IMG_2017.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
This is the kind of a super awesome detailed pictures. We get to look at to figure out what the intricate parts of our actions of Remington clone bolt actions are called.
-1 this is a bolt
2- this is a pin
3 - this is a rifle

Talk about a special needs eating crayons person, who is hired to make detailed diagrams about your bolt action rifle and parts diagram.

Not sure how United States has been Rome (ultimate world power) with things done like this… just kidding..

I could be wrong maybe the Remington bolt doesn’t have the same parts as a Remington clone. I don’t know how that would be possible, but maybe there is no separate part there?

I did see Seiko Made in Finland Magnum action brand new in a box. At my friends place who is an arms dealer.
Apparently someone else bought it for like $700. I don’t know when it was made maybe the 1960s man that thing was beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.png
    IMG_2018.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Has anybody ran like dry lube or something close to it in there bolt action, guns or is it always asking for some sort of trouble when in dusty conditions in a competition?
Some guys will run a spray on graphite lube that dries, it honestly only needs to be on the lugs and on the receiver raceways. Most 700 clone actions have an anti-bind rail that's machined inside the receiver that the bolt body rides along preventing binding. I didn't look too closely inside the solid to see if one was there. I'm not near the actions to look for a bit.

I use Tri-Flow dry lube on my bolt guns (except a spec of grease for the cocking ramp and back of the lugs). Works great. The Solus definitely needs some lube in the raceway the bolt stop rides in - which is also the anti-binding feature on the action. Even without a fluted bolt, it ran perfectly for the entire 2 days of the AZ Ghost Hunter match at Gunsite this year, with some of the thickest clay dust I’ve ever been in. Rain on day 2 tried to make it into cement, but the Solus just ran.

Try Hornady One Shot

Picked up my solus hunters today and first impression is they are excellent. The triggers will get swapped for some triggertech specials and one of them will get the proof CF barrel I already have. Actions are both really smooth out of the box and will get better with time. Both will get topped with Steiner t6xi 3-18s. Looking forward to some field time with these rifles.

Here’s another example of one of the finer bolt shrouds that has been modified ,(It is nothing more than a plunge cut relieve on both sides of the sear catch(I think that’s what you would call it.). )but is included in this action! That saves an additional $200

So I don’t think once they come out with a different bolt heads and especially a magnum action I won’t buy any other actions…

I might be speaking too soon as I have not run this yet, but I think it should be more than good enough for running in a day-to-day field rifle or hunter competition even no problem.

even with a quick change I can do the same thing= a hitch , mounted vice and change it there….

I realize that when you were out in the field, there might be something that runs better when you’re doing the pinnacle best of the best competitions.. especially if it’s like benchrest… at that point assume everything is broken!

Attachments

• IMG_2022.png
    IMG_2022.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 61
Some guys will run a spray on graphite lube that dries, it honestly only needs to be on the lugs and on the receiver raceways. Most 700 clone actions have an anti-bind rail that's machined inside the receiver that the bolt body rides along preventing binding. I didn't look too closely inside the solid to see if one was there. I'm not near the actions to look for a bit.
Thanks for the reply.

I’m coming from semi auto rifles ..
Bolt action is new to me
I lubed up everything on my Gas guns! …everything.

After 70 rounds through my rifle, the action has smoothed out considerably on the open close action part. I went ahead and purchased a second rifle for the price. I just couldn’t pass it up

My next question is now that aero precision is coming out with their light weight, hunter models they claim the action has been profiled even better for smoother, most smoothest action in the industry so I was curious if anybody is shot this new action, the light model with the rails that are cut???

My next question is now that aero precision is coming out with their light weight, hunter models they claim the action has been profiled even better for smoother, most smoothest action in the industry so I was curious if anybody is shot this new action, the light model with the rails that are cut???
Smoothest in the industry?! That's a BOLD statement!

I'm surprised their is no asterisk there with a fine print, would have them an out. That's a guarantee that's not going to hold up.

I mean it's subjective lol. Bolt lift can be measured, maybe they mean lightest 60*. My first Solus action now has a couple thousand cycles and it's now far beyond my Tikka for bolt lift and smooth cycling. Tikka also has at least a few k bolt manipulations.

Reactions: Harman117