• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors thread on suppressors

codlinjr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2005
SE FL
Getting ready to get into the NFA game, and shopping around for suppressors. I plan to get a thread-on model for my .308 bolt gun, but have a typical "new guy" question:

-Aside from cleaning, do most guys leave theirs screwed on all the time? I'm pretty sure my rifle wont fit in my safe, and certainly not in my gun case, with an additional 6-8" on the end of it. So do most of you take it off while transporing and/or storing it, or just buy a bigger case/safe?

Thanks

Re: thread on suppressors

Yes, one would most commonly take it off. Not just for transportation and storage, but also to properly clean the barrel as required. There is also an argument that states that any moisture that might accumulate in the can should not be allowed to roll down into the barrel upon racking. On off time? 20 seconds.

Ok thank you, makes sense. So if most people are taking them on/off over and over again, there must not be any issues with repeatablity and/or threads wearing, etc...?

That's right, and the way people insure that is to be sure to clean both the barrel thread and shoulder as well as the can's threads. Because the can's lock-up is purely "can-shoulder to barrel-shoulder" the mounted point of impact remains the same. Even raggedy threads will work if the shoulders are good.

Just what he said...Ive taken my cans off and put them on a thousand times without any noticeable wear. Dont leave them on in storage because they can collect moisture even in your safe. A good accessory worth looking into would be a mirage cover/ heat shroud. If there is no wind and I shoot my 300WM three times I cant see without it anymore because mirage is so bad....

I leave mine on unless i clean the weapon then I fire the gun a couple times to make sure i dont get any cleaning solutions or funes in the suppresor and put the can back on for the next several hundred round!

I have a 10" form 1 suppressor (quietest ive heard) and I cut the barrel back to 16.5" gun fits in my safe and all cases perfectly i don't shoot this gun past 500yds so the short barrel doesent pose any issues though i have run it to 850+ with 175g bergers

I personaly don't see the need for a barrel over 20" on a 308

Take mine off offten. During hunting season a suppressor is illegal in the field here in MT. I take it off just to go shoot a coyote this time of year. Swap it between a couple diffrent rifles fairly offten.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's right, and the way people insure that is to be sure to clean both the barrel thread and shoulder as well as the can's threads. Because the can's lock-up is purely "can-shoulder to barrel-shoulder" the mounted point of impact remains the same. Even raggedy threads will work if the shoulders are good. </div></div>

I concur. The thread shoulder is the critical surface to alignment. A consistent mounting torque helps to be consistent as well.

Take your time and try to listen and shoot the suppressors you will be interested in. If possible, try threading your host first so that you can shoot the cans you wish to test on your own platform.

Best of luck with your project.