• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka shortage?

isaidme

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2020
Waco, Texas
Been trying to find a Tikka CTR 308 for a while now. I actually have one on back order at my local shop but its been around 2 months. I've see a few lite models at my local Cabelas but that's about it and Gunbroker has a few 6.5 Creedmore but not a single 308. Didn't really think these type of rifles would be as hard to get as semiauto's given the current political climate but here I am. Anyone else in the same boat? Is it demand, issues with logistics/ importing or a combination of both?

Is yours the average maturity level on snipers hide? Why would I want to change barrels all the time?
Is your's the average reading compression and inference level of a 2020 sign up?

Let me spell out easier.

More popular calibers, tend to be more available. We may have passed a tipping point where 6.5 Creed is more popular than 308. Especially when you are looking at someone purchasing new factory rifles.

If you shoot out a 6.5 Creed in the next couple years, I will send you a cookie.

Both of my factory Remington 308s were 1 moa+ by 5k. I have a factory 223 that wont give the ghost though. It has to be pushing 6k and still bug holing. Although it was doing some weird things the other day, but the base screws on the rings were loose. I just mounted it the scope. It just came back from warranty repair.

Been trying to find a Tikka CTR 308 for a while now. I actually have one on back order at my local shop but its been around 2 months. I've see a few lite models at my local Cabelas but that's about it and Gunbroker has a few 6.5 Creedmore but not a single 308. Didn't really think these type of rifles would be as hard to get as semiauto's given the current political climate but here I am. Anyone else in the same boat? Is it demand, issues with logistics/ importing or a combination of both?
Consider that a blessing. 6.5’s are in stock at EuroOptics in both barrel lengths.

Reactions: isaidme
I comprehended a douche response just fine. If you didn't have anything helpful to contribute you didn't have to reply in the first place. I would expect that sort of thing on ARFCOM but thought this was generally a better group of people here.
Scroll back up and read the whole thing again newbie. I deciphered the comment since you couldn't seem to figure it out. You want to act like a little bitch and get defensive because you misunderstood something, that is you ball of yarn. You want to go back to rubbing PP's at BARF, I wont miss you.

Consider that a blessing. 6.5’s are in stock at EuroOptics in both barrel lengths.
Yea... just not interested in 6.5 or any of the newest trend calibers that might not stick around. I'm already invested in brass and other items and I like surplus ammo laying around if nothing else. I guess i'm not the only one that likes them in 308. Was just curious if anyone else is waiting as well.

Last edited:
Might consider a T3 action and drop it in a manners or MDT chassis and just have it barreled with quality name barrel. I have been considering one of those folding manners for a tikka myself. I think the whole "CTR" and "Tac A1" packages are a little over priced and you have to use their expensive mags.

Manners and MDT allows for other options.

Dont blame you for .308 either. Great round that is not a barrel burner with many load options. I know many of us started out on the .308. If you get good with it, then the 6.5cm, 6cm, .260 , etc, etc and newer calibers will come easier. I prefer .223 and .308 because I can shoot my relays and still get home before the afternoon with all the other relays going on.

I must be a Grandpa shooter now.... How time flies.

I did see a Tikka T3x Lite for 679 on GB. could drop that in a MDT and be near the cost of the CTR anyway?

All I got from you Corndog was your original response to my thread which wasn't necessary.

Which was also actually relevant to the OP. @isaidme what percentage of CTRs coming off the assembly line today are chambered in .308? 10? My bet is less than that.

Yea... just not interested in 6.5 or any of the newest trend calibers that might not stick around. I'm already invested in brass and other items and I like surplus ammo laying around if nothing else. I guess i'm not the only one that likes them in 308. Was just curious if anyone else is waiting as well.
Fair enough, but Tikkas have very tight tenon tolerances which allow prefits. You could probably buy a 6.5 and trade that barrel for virtually new .308 plus cash.

Tikkas are starting to reappear. As Supersubes indicated, EuroOptics has some models in stock, including some TAC A1's. I was on their inventory notification list for a TAC A1 left hand in 6.5 CM that triggered a few weeks ago. I had already purchased my MPA PMR Pro though.

I am going to contact EuroOptics as they have a CTR in .223 left hand listed as "Out of stock, OK to backorder". I didn't think Tikka was importing any left hand CTR's into the U.S.

Tikkas are starting to reappear. As Supersubes indicated, EuroOptics has some models in stock, including some TAC A1's. I was on their inventory notification list for a TAC A1 left hand in 6.5 CM that triggered a few weeks ago. I had already purchased my MPA PMR Pro though.

I am going to contact EuroOptics as they have a CTR in .223 left hand listed as "Out of stock, OK to backorder". I didn't think Tikka was importing any left hand CTR's into the U.S.
Ive been backordering Tikkas through Euro pretty regularly for customers. Usually filled in a few weeks.

I mean... with various commands in the military adopting 6.5CM, I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: NHA1988
I comprehended a douche response just fine. If you didn't have anything helpful to contribute you didn't have to reply in the first place. I would expect that sort of thing on ARFCOM but thought this was generally a better group of people here.
Translate this comment as "this comment is not appreciated".

You do realize you are trying to buy a gun chambered in something that historically people always want to have one of right? In the middle of the greatest gun rush ever that has been going on for over a year? All this after the greatest number of guns sold since they have been tracking those numbers in modern times.

Reactions: jakelly
Which was also actually relevant to the OP. @isaidme what percentage of CTRs coming off the assembly line today are chambered in .308? 10? My bet is less than that.

Fair enough, but Tikkas have very tight tenon tolerances which allow prefits. You could probably buy a 6.5 and trade that barrel for virtually new .308 plus cash.
Correct me if i'm wrong but don't they require a smith to often times jump through hoops to get the barrel off and its metric so maybe re-thread etc period? If I were going to buy a platform where barrel changes were an option I would probably go with a Remington clone or maybe even a Savage. I owned a Bergara HMR that shot lights out but sold it which might be a mistake now but that lead me to Tikka. I found my particular HMR only really liked heavier grain projectiles so I decided to give the Tikka with its 1-11 twist a chance. I have the T1x and love tagging steel plates out at 200 yards with it.

Might be a little difficult to get off. But after that it's just spin a new one on

You'd be better off getting a random hunting profile cheap tikka and then a barrel spec exactly how you want and sell the takeoff stock and barrel cause even the TacA1 and CTR chassis/stock are eh at best

Reactions: jakelly
+1 To what graham said. There was a guy on Accurateshooter selling quite a cache of bare actions. I’ve seen many .308 barrels for sale and I don’t think any of them were over $150.

If you’re buying a Tikka, you’re buying a platform where home barrel changes are an option. If you choose not to exercise that option, that’s on you. But your entire post here is concerning a $250 problem.

Translate this comment as "this comment is not appreciated".

You do realize you are trying to buy a gun chambered in something that historically people always want to have one of right? In the middle of the greatest gun rush ever that has been going on for over a year? All this after the greatest number of guns sold since they have been tracking those numbers in modern times.
I knew Tikka as being a great gun but for some reason I didn't think it would be as well known and maybe more available then others. While I'm done with the former conversation I'm a little confused that its a grandpa gun yet "historically people always want one". Is there an abundance of grandpa's and if still popular why would they only produce maybe 10 a day as someone else suggested? It wasn't a 308 vs this or that thread, i'm sure there are an abundance of those, I was simply wondering if anyone else had a hard time finding various models outside the 'lite" line. Being produced in Finland

Is yours the average maturity level on snipers hide? Why would I want to change barrels all the time?
ehh, with component availabilty, very few are changing barrels "all the time" anymore.

Might be a little difficult to get off. But after that it's just spin a new one on

You'd be better off getting a random hunting profile cheap tikka and then a barrel spec exactly how you want and sell the takeoff stock and barrel cause even the TacA1 and CTR chassis/stock are eh at best
Might be an option if my back order starts to go on 6months.

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't they require a smith to often times jump through hoops to get the barrel off and its metric so maybe re-thread etc period? If I were going to buy a platform where barrel changes were an option I would probably go with a Remington clone or maybe even a Savage. I owned a Bergara HMR that shot lights out but sold it which might be a mistake now but that lead me to Tikka. I found my particular HMR only really liked heavier grain projectiles so I decided to give the Tikka with its 1-11 twist a chance. I have the T1x and love tagging steel plates out at 200 yards with it.
The 20 inch barrel on the B-14 HMR in .308 could have been a factor. What barrel length are you looking for this time? I think Tikka makes the CTR in either 20 or 24. No idea if this impacts availability.

its been out for nearly 15 years, its not new, its not a trend and its not going anywhere.
Have you considered you cant find a 308 because production is being dedicated to more popular cartridges (like the 6.5CM)?

The 20 inch barrel on the B-14 HMR in .308 could have been a factor. What barrel length are you looking for this time? I think Tikka makes the CTR in either 20 or 24. No idea if this impacts availability.
20" this time as well. I run a suppressor and between the two that's all I want to lug around.

its been out for nearly 15 years, its not new, its not a trend and its not going anywhere.
Have you considered you cant find a 308 because production is being dedicated to more popular cartridges (like the 6.5CM)?
I didn't realize 6.5cm has been out that long. But I was speaking more to the newer PRC cartridges etc maybe not sticking around.

Already have a KRG Bravo in waiting

Here's one in the classifieds. It has a few upgrades though.

Maybe its easier to find in a modern, non-granpa gun caliber.

Eh, we get it, guys, you dont like .308. The OP does. The OP has investment already in the caliber. The OP is trying to find a gun in that caliber. 6.5 is a great offering. No question. It's not the one true caliber for all uses. As a guy who has a 308 CTR sitting right next to me on the floor as I write this, I get both sides, I would expect to have to work harder at the math and as the trigger control unit in a PRS match. But I also love my 308 and have a lot of comfort from shooting the cartridge over time. The needless bagging on people like this is why I mostly went quiet for a few years here, got tired of people seeing their view as the only possible view for the whole shooting community.

Back to the point...

March 2021 set a record at the BATFE level for the number of background checks in a month. On the back of several shootings and Biden and the House of Representatives going active on gun legislation, demand is through the roof, and production is still challenging. Any gunsmith, any purveyor of guns and ammo will be short on stock and have deep commitment for anything they expect to get in soon.

You already have in a backorder for a .308 CTR presumably at or near MSRP. Your options at this point:
1) Wait. Do nothing. Your backorder comes in. Get 308. Shoot 308. Be happy.
2) Pay what people want for guns you can get and shoot now. Get 308. Shoot 308. Be happy.
3) Transition to components and such for another caliber, pay what people want for guns you can get and shoot now. Get whatever. Shoot whatever. Be happy.

Eh, we get it, guys, you dont like .308. The OP does. The OP has investment already in the caliber. The OP is trying to find a gun in that caliber. 6.5 is a great offering. No question. It's not the one true caliber for all uses. As a guy who has a 308 CTR sitting right next to me on the floor as I write this, I get both sides, I would expect to have to work harder at the math and as the trigger control unit in a PRS match. But I also love my 308 and have a lot of comfort from shooting the cartridge over time. The needless bagging on people like this is why I mostly went quiet for a few years here, got tired of people seeing their view as the only possible view for the whole shooting community.

Back to the point...

March 2021 set a record at the BATFE level for the number of background checks in a month. On the back of several shootings and Biden and the House of Representatives going active on gun legislation, demand is through the roof, and production is still challenging. Any gunsmith, any purveyor of guns and ammo will be short on stock and have deep commitment for anything they expect to get in soon.

You already have in a backorder for a .308 CTR presumably at or near MSRP. Your options at this point:
2) Pay what people want for guns you can get and shoot now. Get 308. Shoot 308. Be happy.
3) Transition to components and such for another caliber, pay what people want for guns you can get and shoot now. Get whatever. Shoot whatever. Be happy.
You understand, Thanks ! Yeah I would not pay over $1,000 and some change for one.

Back to the point...

No. You didn't get it either. Maybe trying reading the thread, then responding.

My apologies to supercorndogs for my misunderstanding of his communication. No need for this to continue and other get caught up in drama.

Here's one in the classifieds. It has a few upgrades though.

Man that might be a consideration but I have everything but the action and rings already. I didn't think it would be hard to find a set of Seekins High Rings new or used but I guess nothing is immune from these crazy times.

Back to the point...

I like the 308. Its the jack plane of the shooting world. Not great at anything, but good at a lot. If you can only have 1, theres a solid case it should be 308.

Man that might be a consideration but I have everything but the action and rings already. I didn't think it would be hard to find a set of Seekins High Rings new or used but I guess nothing is immune from these crazy times.
You can always sell the spare parts, or keep them in case you need another rifle. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

I went through this when I was looking for my 6.5 CTR... ended up snagging one on GB that came up “cheap” $1020 or $1040 shipped... most were in the $1200-1400 dollar range... I’d just check GB often.
It’s funny when I was looking for my 6.5 I could only find 308

you looking for a 20 or 24? blued or stainless?

I went through this when I was looking for my 6.5 CTR... ended up snagging one on GB that came up “cheap” $1020 or $1040 shipped... most were in the $1200-1400 dollar range... I’d just check GB often.
It’s funny when I was looking for my 6.5 I could only find 308

you looking for a 20 or 24? blued or stainless?
20” I have a suppressor and I don’t really want to lug around anything longer then that. I prefer blued.

Last edited:
that or yours is just being pushed to another shop for a person willing to pay 3xs the price for your gun that will get you thinking sorry had to throw that out there hope you get yours soon and it be better than you dreamed it would making you forget all about the weight .

I want a barrel to last me 8k rounds or so and I'm invested in 308 already.

If you just like .308 for whatever reason, that's cool. But do the math. Barrels are cheap, ammo is expensive. Even if your barrel lasts forever, missing will cost you.

There is no more cheap surplus .308 hiding anywhere. Factory rifle rounds in almost any caliber these days cost ~$2 a round if you're lucky (even the crap). If you reload and buy in bulk you can cut that in half (so ~$1 per round), but that's about it.

Using 6.5CM as an example (since it's already been mentioned):
6.5CM is 30% or more flatter, and 40% or better at beating wind than .308. So at only 300 yards, with 10mph of wind, if you blow your wind hold with the .308 you'll miss a 3moa/10" plate by a few inches, while you could forget to hold for wind all together and still get an impact with a 6.5CM. The performance gap gets wider the further you go out.

So after shooting 8k rounds with 6.5CM you'll be on your 3rd barrel, and if you went with decent X-caliber prefits for ~$400 a pop you'd still be under $1000 in added cost (that's including buying a barrel-vise and action wrench). You could even spin on premium barrels for maybe another $500.

Or you can shoot .308 for 8k rounds and not have to buy any barrels... Just don't miss, because if you miss 30-40% of you shots, over 8k rounds that'll have cost you ~$2400-3200 (assuming you can reload for $1 per round).

Life is short and rounds ain't cheap. Might as well load and shoot a cartridge that you're ~30-40% more likely to hit with. Pay a gunsmith a few bucks to take your first barrel off and after that you'll never have to see him again if you don't want to.