• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka shortage?

I knew Tikka as being a great gun but for some reason I didn't think it would be as well known and maybe more available then others. While I'm done with the former conversation I'm a little confused that its a grandpa gun yet "historically people always want one". Is there an abundance of grandpa's and if still popular why would they only produce maybe 10 a day as someone else suggested? It wasn't a 308 vs this or that thread, i'm sure there are an abundance of those, I was simply wondering if anyone else had a hard time finding various models outside the 'lite" line. Being produced in Finland
The whole "10 a day" wasn't a number in the post you were referencing. It was as a percent.

Also Tikka makes the ctr in 7 calibers of which only 4 are available in the US. In all Tikka makes t3's of various flavors in 21 chamberings.

For historical interest to 6.5 caliber rounds in general. 6.5 Swede (no familial relation to 6.5 creed) goes back to 1893. Still in use today and available in certain t3 flavors.

30-01 goes back to 1901, becomes 30-03 in 1903, becomes 30-06 in 1906, experimented on to become 308 in the 40's (to replicate 30-06) but released to civilian in 1952. 308 actually uses 300 Savage as parent material.

At least here on Snipers Hide Tikkas are known to be very good guns with one of the best factory triggers. They are brought up and recommended more when somebody is wanting to get started with something cheaper.

A little advice. The Hide is a place where adults treat each other as adults with some good natured ribbing. Earlier on you were coming in a little strongly defensive and seemingly taking offense. None was meant.

Slow your roll. Take a breath. There is plenty of history here with lots of people giving good free advice if you are willing to listen and learn. There are people here shooting all calibers and all types of scopes as well. They are all good people, even those shooting 6mm Gay Tiger and MOA (note this is an example of good natured ribbing).

Another good thing to learn from our HMFIC. Barrels are tires.

I liked the ammo cost comment above. I just was at a three day class and spent more in ammo than the cost of a new barrel. Holy crap. The world is upside down. I need to pew pew less and just pew for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: Oddball Six
I liked the ammo cost comment above. I just was at a three day class and spent more in ammo than the cost of a new barrel. Holy crap. The world is upside down. I need to pew pew less and just pew for a while.
Welcome to range day with @Newbie2020 ! Sets up, loads one round, zeros in on the target, PEW! Time to call it a day and go back and face the To-Do List I'm avoiding at home.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Speaking of 6.5CM ammo, got an alert on ammoseek for 147gr match at $1.85 a round. Got a 404 when clicking the link though. Either was fake news or it sold out super quick.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Been trying to find a Tikka CTR 308 for a while now. I actually have one on back order at my local shop but its been around 2 months. I've see a few lite models at my local Cabelas but that's about it and Gunbroker has a few 6.5 Creedmore but not a single 308. Didn't really think these type of rifles would be as hard to get as semiauto's given the current political climate but here I am. Anyone else in the same boat? Is it demand, issues with logistics/ importing or a combination of both?
Why a .308 over a 6.5cm doesn’t make much sense unless u want to shoot a heavier bullet. 6.5’s shoot flatter out to 1k

Just read all of this sorry. Try to order through a local sportsman’s warehouse. They had a bunch when I bought mine. Not at the specific location but other surroundings ships in 2 days. If you don’t have sportsman’s check out Idaho ones they usually have a couple of each caliber

Might consider a T3 action and drop it in a manners or MDT chassis and just have it barreled with quality name barrel. I have been considering one of those folding manners for a tikka myself. I think the whole "CTR" and "Tac A1" packages are a little over priced and you have to use their expensive mags.

Manners and MDT allows for other options.

Dont blame you for .308 either. Great round that is not a barrel burner with many load options. I know many of us started out on the .308. If you get good with it, then the 6.5cm, 6cm, .260 , etc, etc and newer calibers will come easier. I prefer .223 and .308 because I can shoot my relays and still get home before the afternoon with all the other relays going on.

I must be a Grandpa shooter now.... How time flies.

I did see a Tikka T3x Lite for 679 on GB. could drop that in a MDT and be near the cost of the CTR anyway?
I went that route buying the T3X lite, mdt lss-xl, and proof research barrel. Cost of components was around $1600. Gunsmith $250. I still feel like I made out!! Shoots great and it was exactly what I wanted/needed.

I remember when 45 ACP shooters thought that the adoption of 9mm was merely a trend. Nothing wrong with .308; it’s every bit as viable as it ever was. However ballistics technology has come a long way and 6.5 Creedmoor is superior.

My local Bass Pro just got a shipment of Tikka rifles after a long dry spell. I’m certain that one of them is a T3X CTR in .308. Tikka rifles are coming back in stock. No need to pay obscene Gunbroker prices.

Do any of you know anything about the Sako S20s? Was wondering if the action is the same or different then a Tikka outside of refinements.

Yeah, I've been seeing the same results as you. I've been looking for a Tikka Tac A1 (as is) or CTR in a KRG chassis in 308. My choice of caliber is deliberate as well- every source I found has said 308 is a better round to learn the wind on. I'm fine struggling without a "modern" laser beam caliber if it helps the learning process.

The same Bass Pro I mentioned earlier has had the Sako S20 with both precision and hunter stocks for several weeks now. Next to the Tikka, I could feel no difference in the action. The S20 has a fluted barrel. The Sako stock didn’t feel great. I think a Tikka T3X CTR in a KRG chassis is a better and still more affordable choice.

Reactions: isaidme
Might consider a T3 action and drop it in a manners or MDT chassis and just have it barreled with quality name barrel. I have been considering one of those folding manners for a tikka myself. I think the whole "CTR" and "Tac A1" packages are a little over priced and you have to use their expensive mags.

Manners and MDT allows for other options.

Dont blame you for .308 either. Great round that is not a barrel burner with many load options. I know many of us started out on the .308. If you get good with it, then the 6.5cm, 6cm, .260 , etc, etc and newer calibers will come easier. I prefer .223 and .308 because I can shoot my relays and still get home before the afternoon with all the other relays going on.

I must be a Grandpa shooter now.... How time flies.

I did see a Tikka T3x Lite for 679 on GB. could drop that in a MDT and be near the cost of the CTR anyway?
Hi I am investing in a 6.5CM but I'm also going for the classics as well such as
.308 and .223 where I can use NATO surplus ammunition as a cheap practice round whilst reloading for competition

Yea... just not interested in 6.5 or any of the newest trend calibers that might not stick around

LOL

6.5 Creedmoor is 14 years old by now and its popularity shows no sign of letting up.

Yeah, I've been seeing the same results as you. I've been looking for a Tikka Tac A1 (as is) or CTR in a KRG chassis in 308. My choice of caliber is deliberate as well- every source I found has said 308 is a better round to learn the wind on. I'm fine struggling without a "modern" laser beam caliber if it helps the learning process.
Sounds like you really want a T1x

Hi I am investing in a 6.5CM but I'm also going for the classics as well such as
.308 and .223 where I can use NATO surplus ammunition as a cheap practice round whilst reloading for competition
Yes those are my two favorites as well. Still plenty of surplus showing up in my area.

Reactions: Lawrence60
Yes those are my two favorites as well. Still plenty of surplus showing up in my area.
My club seems to thankfully have a good supply of NATO surplus which is still there after this lockdown so when I can get time off work will be taking my aggression and frustration out on some Huns heads and see if I can still shoot straight

The same Bass Pro I mentioned earlier has had the Sako S20 with both precision and hunter stocks for several weeks now. Next to the Tikka, I could feel no difference in the action. The S20 has a fluted barrel. The Sako stock didn’t feel great. I think a Tikka T3X CTR in a KRG chassis is a better and still more affordable choice.
I was thinking along the lines of putting the Sako into a Bravo chassis. I don't really know how much better a Sako is then a Tikka outside of aesthetics.

LOL

6.5 Creedmoor is 14 years old by now and its popularity shows no sign of letting up.
I realize that and as already stated I was speaking of the newer calibers that seem to be popping up here lately. I have owned 6.5CM in a Ruger Predator and while it was cool and all I just prefer 308. I'm not a competitor and most my shooting is 500 yards or so.

Reactions: 308pirate
Just picked up Tikka 3x Lite in 308 blued at EuroOptics.com. Great customer service and shipped to my FFL within 3 days