• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

cb8a44bc87e6b060f35e59fe58850954.jpg
f6feb31f24722688e469619c7f913f0c.jpg

Built by THE FIRM
T3 SS action
Rock creek m40 blended to action
Manners elite t4a
-Tom manners pillar bedded them together
Atlas bipod and rail
Bushnell ers 3-21
Seekins rings
Egw rail
Cdi bottom metal (tikka performance prs style dbm soon)

The barreled action is getting polished this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: long range sponge
Accurate brand mags work great in my CTR with XRay chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just completed my TIKKA T3X CTR 6.5 Creedmoor build with Masterpiece Arms BA Chassis topped with ATHLON CRONUS. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i29.photobucket.com\/albums\/c280\/jsenuta\/Masterpiece%20Arms%20BA%20TIKKA%20T3X%20CTR%20Chassis\/IMGP0083_zpsbf77asox.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Nice looking rig! How do you like the chassis? I'm especially interested in whether you can notice an accuracy difference using the rear monopod vs using a rear bag. I have a SS CTR and seriously considering that chassis. Thanks! Jon

Last edited:
Nice rigs! Have I missed the update on the CTR that Frank is doing with the carbon barrel from Hardy? Can't seem to find an update since the Cadex Chassis video?

Is anyone running the Manners EHTA? I have a CTR I am thinking about upgrading the stock on. They say the bottom metal will sit proud and I was wondering if anyone had an example.

Question for yall with 24" CTR's...do you think that the barrel thickess is optimal? Do you expect/experience much heat effects? Much POI shift from putting a suppressor on the end of it? I'm looking to pick one up.

Question for yall with 24" CTR's...do you think that the barrel thickess is optimal? Do you expect/experience much heat effects? Much POI shift from putting a suppressor on the end of it? I'm looking to pick one up.

My T3 Stainless Varmint .223, advertised as a 24" barrel really is only 23.7" and measures .870" at the muzzle. That's close to Medium Palma contour, which is a fairly robust and popular barrel contour. I know your asking about a T3X CTR 24" barrel, but I don't believe Tikka has trotted out a new barrel contour just for the CTR.....

My T3 Stainless Varmint .223, advertised as a 24" barrel really is only 23.7" and measures .870" at the muzzle. That's close to Medium Palma contour, which is a fairly robust and popular barrel contour. I know your asking about a T3X CTR 24" barrel, but I don't believe Tikka has trotted out a new barrel contour just for the CTR.....

CTR is .787 on my calipers so probably a .790.

Nice looking rig! How do you like the chassis? I'm especially interested in whether you can notice and accuracy difference using the rear monopod vs using a rear bag. I have a SS CTR and seriously considering that chassis. Thanks! Jon

I love the chassis. Fondled one at Shot Show and was sold. Took just eight weeks to the day to be built. I lucked out. Love the gunmetal color! Recoil lug is built into the chassis. Two bolts to torque down and that's it. I have not taken it out yet to shoot. I replaced the 0 moa rail with a Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail. Also installed the Heathen Muzzle Brake. The only thing I don't like is that the Magpul AICS mags don't fit.They work with my MDT chassis though. The Accuracy International mags work and I have a delivery of an Acccurate Mag tomorrow to see if those fit.

Last edited:
Thanks sig2009 - I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping you keep us up to date on how the shooting of your new rig goes! I'd be interested in how other people shooting from the bench or other hard surfaces have found the monopod vs. a squeeze bag. I've only used a typical small hand holdable bag as my rear support and wonder if my groups wouldn't improve with a monopod just by virtue of a more dependable follow through from the bench or hard, flat prone position. It makes sense to me that it might, but I'll be the first to admit, just because it makes sense to me doesn't mean it is right! I understand for PRS many don't see it as an advantage, but wonder for normal range and load development if it could be helpful. Doesn't look like it would be hard to take off if you wanted to save some weight in the field.

I love the chassis. Fondled one at Shot Show and was sold. Took just eight weeks to the day to be built. I lucked out. Love the gunmetal color! Recoil lug is built into the chassis. Two bolts to torque down and that's it. I have not taken it out yet to shoot. I replaced the 0 moa rail with a Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail. Also installed the Heathen Muzzle Brake. The only thing I don't like is that the Magpul AICS mags don't fit.They work with my MDT chassis though. The Accuracy International mags work and I have a delivery of an Acccurate Mag tomorrow to see if those fit.

Your MDT chassis has a Tikka action in it? My CTR is in a XLR and the magpul mags don't work either but it's the action not the chassis causing the issue.

Your MDT chassis has a Tikka action in it? My CTR is in a XLR and the magpul mags don't work either but it's the action not the chassis causing the issue.

The above pic of my TIKKA is in a Masterpiece Arms chassis. Not an MDT chassis. The Magpul AICS mags work in my MDT Tac 21 Remington 700 chassis.

OK that makes sense. The issue with the magpul mag is with the tikka action and not the MPA chassis, so that explains why they work with your mdt.

Should the CTR barreled action fit in a regular T3 stock? Question is because I will like to build a long range hunter and I have an Adjustable Mcmillan Game Scout with a varmint barrel and a regular T3 bottom CBM inletting and I was planning to buy a 6.5CM CTR 24" for putting on it using the regular T3 mags.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know of a good adjustable cheek rest option for the T3x CTR stock? I guess the simple solution is to get a stock pack, but I would like something a little more solid and less bulky. Any thoughts? Does the factory Tikka Adjustable stock accept the CTR bottom metal? Not sure if those are even available in the aftermarket...

Does anyone know of a good adjustable cheek rest option for the T3x CTR stock? I guess the simple solution is to get a stock pack, but I would like something a little more solid and less bulky. Any thoughts? Does the factory Tikka Adjustable stock accept the CTR bottom metal? Not sure if those are even available in the aftermarket...

I'm using a tacops pad right now and it works perfectly for me

OK that makes sense. The issue with the magpul mag is with the tikka action and not the MPA chassis, so that explains why they work with your mdt.

Yes. I just saw yesterday that the Masterpiece Arms website the Magpul AICS need to be modified to work. But I did get an Accurate AICS mag yesterday and it works in the Masterpiece Arms BA chasssis.

Yes. I just saw yesterday that the Masterpiece Arms website the Magpul AICS need to be modified to work. But I did get an Accurate AICS mag yesterday and it works in the Masterpiece Arms BA chasssis.

Did your accurate feed well in your MPA with out modifying it?

I just picked one up for my Cadex today, after trying a Magpul, and it fed fine but was tougher than the factory mag and really scared the brass.

I ended up filing and sanding the inside lips and front edges, and rounded and tapered the ridge on the follower and feeds much smoother with only faint scratches.
The accurate also has alot more spring tension than the factory mag so if it was a little less I think it would cycle even easier.

http://www.kalixteknik.com/

Did your accurate feed well in your MPA with out modifying it?

I just picked one up for my Cadex today, after trying a Magpul, and it fed fine but was tougher than the factory mag and really scared the brass.

I ended up filing and sanding the inside lips and front edges, and rounded and tapered the ridge on the follower and feeds much smoother with only faint scratches.
The accurate also has alot more spring tension than the factory mag so if it was a little less I think it would cycle even easier.

Yes. I just tried the Accurate mag in the MPA BA chassis and it feeds fine with no modification.

Well, I was up late on Gunbroker and ended up winning a full MPA BA lite rifle. So my Tikka has to go, if anyone is interested in a 24" T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmor in an XLR element chassis let me know.

Has anyone done anything with regards to the recoil lug? Weld it on, bed it, or otherwise? I'm not sure if there'd be any benefit to changing anything and perhaps I should just leave well enough alone.

Has anyone done anything with regards to the recoil lug? Weld it on, bed it, or otherwise? I'm not sure if there'd be any benefit to changing anything and perhaps I should just leave well enough alone.

My thoughts: many complain and otherwise express concern over the Tikka lug design, but, as Frank demonstrated in his Tikka write-up series, its not unusual for a Tikka to be a .5-.75 MOA shooter straight out of the box "...The initial 3 shot groups were sub 1/2 MOA right out of the gate. No break in, no issues...", so... Is anything really "broke" here... ?

Last edited:
^^^^ Exactly, If it ain't broke.. Fix it til it is...

If you follow the recent changes in the T3 - T3x rifles, you will see that Sako engineering pays attention to feedback. They opened the ejection port to allow for better extraction and feed, and changed the recoil lug to stainless vs the aluminum. If you have to send your rifle for a tombstone style lug, there are many that will do it for you. I just do not see the need, unless you are shooting ELR all the time and want to remove as many variables as possible. Honestly, Id use the money for glass.

Thanks, I thought so as well but figured I'd ask anyway. I'll just *ahem* shoot for half-MOA and see if I can do that to start with.

The TRG has used the same recoil lug design for decades. Not hearing any complaints about them.

Well, I'm starting to see some discussion online about needing to bed it for larger calibers; specifically 338LM. Either way, I'm won't be messing with it for a while; if I ever do.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/poi-drift-300grain-matchkings-338lm-9051/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/sako-trg-s-problem-6560/

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought so as well but figured I'd ask anyway. I'll just *ahem* shoot for half-MOA and see if I can do that to start with.

Well, I'm starting to see some discussion online about needing to bed it for larger calibers; specifically 338LM. Either way, I'm won't be messing with it for a while; if I ever do.

[video]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/poi-drift-300grain-matchkings-338lm-9051/[/video]
[video]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/sako-trg-s-problem-6560/[/video]
That thread is from 2003.

My CTR in 260 shoots less than 1/2 moa in the factory stock with hand loads. The only factory ammo I have shot out of it was Prime and I was able to get better groups with the same bullet in handloads. I do have a GGS Predator on order and it comes with a mini-chassis and a stainless recoil lug.

Should the CTR barreled action fit in a regular T3 stock? Question is because I will like to build a long range hunter and I have an Adjustable Mcmillan Game Scout with a varmint barrel and a regular T3 bottom CBM inletting and I was planning to buy a 6.5CM CTR 24" for putting on it using the regular T3 mags.

Yes it will fit but you will need the spring clip that screws on the trigger assembly, it retains the T3 polymer mag. It doesn't come with the CTR.

I’ve been looking for a general-purpose rifle for North American big-game hunting, and I’d heard good things about the T3, so I traded into a Lite Stainless 308 in a pawnshop a couple of weeks ago. I don’t have a pic of the rifle, but it’s bone stock except for a 1913 rail and a scope. I haven’t even adjusted the trigger. It shoots most factory hunting loads into 1 MOA, which is probably no big deal for most folks here, but the consistency surprised me after 30-odd years of wrangling other makes and models.

On the second day I owned it, it did this with a cheapo Zeiss Terra 3x 3-9x42:

Four days later, it did this with a Leupold VX2 4-14x50:

So, umm, yeah, it seems to shoot Hornady American Gunner pretty well, and it’s an understatement to say that I’m delighted. This rifle has changed my ideas about hunting rifles much as the G19 changed my ideas about handguns. It’s essentially the G19 of long guns except that it shoots like a Clark 1911. Now I’m here to learn how to shoot like this more consistently.

I’m looking forward to learning more from you guys, and I thank you in advance for enduring my bonehead questions.

Okie John

Not sure if this belongs in a different thread....has anyone had personal experience with the T3x tac a1? Any good write ups on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: blackradon
I’ve been looking for a general-purpose rifle for North American big-game hunting, and I’d heard good things about the T3, so I traded into a Lite Stainless 308 in a pawnshop a couple of weeks ago. I don’t have a pic of the rifle, but it’s bone stock except for a 1913 rail and a scope. I haven’t even adjusted the trigger. It shoots most factory hunting loads into 1 MOA, which is probably no big deal for most folks here, but the consistency surprised me after 30-odd years of wrangling other makes and models.

On the second day I owned it, it did this with a cheapo Zeiss Terra 3x 3-9x42:

Four days later, it did this with a Leupold VX2 4-14x50:

So, umm, yeah, it seems to shoot Hornady American Gunner pretty well, and it’s an understatement to say that I’m delighted. This rifle has changed my ideas about hunting rifles much as the G19 changed my ideas about handguns. It’s essentially the G19 of long guns except that it shoots like a Clark 1911. Now I’m here to learn how to shoot like this more consistently.

I’m looking forward to learning more from you guys, and I thank you in advance for enduring my bonehead questions.

Okie John

Good shooting.
You really can't complain when you get sub minute groups with affordable hunting ammo.
I'm a huge Tikka fan. Looking into the T3x CTR as my next purchase personally.

Cheers

Tomorrow will arrive my T3X CTR SS 6.5 CM 24" barrel, I'm a Tikka fan too (this is my 4th)

27yy0bt.jpg

Headed out after work tonight for the first time with my Tikka- First Tikka I have owened- T3X Varmint in 223 cut to 18''

Heres mine, 6.5 Creed 24" Brux Barrel

really thinking about getting rid of it since ive only got to shoot it over 300 yards once this past year.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ShQk80y.jpg"}[/IMG2]