• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3x Varmint 223 muzzle brake

Dolomite

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Hi I was looking to get my 223 Varmint .900 barrel threaded to 5/8 x 24 for a muzzle break.

1. Can I put on a larger brake like a 6mm or 6.5mm on the gun without affecting accuracy?
2. Will that have an adverse effect since is so much larger than the bullet passing?

I was looking to get an APA or maybe area 419 or a jet blast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You can put a 308 brake on it if you want. A bullet passing through a larger bore hole after leaving the muzzle will have no ill effect on accuracy. If it did, no one would run suppressors.

I have shot 6mm, and 6.5mm through a 308 brake in the past with no issues.

The real question here is, why put a brake on a 223?

Yes thread it 5/8-24. Use a 6 or 6.5 brake and you will be fine. The larger hole will make the brake slightly less efficient. I believe it’s like 3 percent less effective.

Reactions: Dolomite