• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Top notch Gunsmithing School?

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
Although I truly enjoy what I do for a living ( I'm a horseshoer ) I've come to realize that for one my body won't hold up to this trade for as long as I'm going to have to work, and I despise where I must practice my trade ( Komifornia ). Sooo since my true passion is for firearms and shooting I've decided to put myself through a Gunsmithing school. I don't want to just go through any old school, I want to go to the best. So where do you all recommend? I'd really like to focus on precision rifles and 1911 platforms. Thanks!!

Re: Top notch Gunsmithing School?

Yavapai college in Prescott AZ. the head of the program is Alan Lohr.
I will warn you that its 2 years of hard work.

2nd Trinidad,

That is where i received my Degree in Gunsmithing.

Amazing teachers, tons of knowledge. Keith Gibson, Speedy Gonzales, Dave Nolan and i think they've hired a number more teachers since i graduated.

I went to Pennsylvania Gunsmith School and if I could do it over I would have just went to machine shop classes instead.But I am not sure about the other schools.PGS is a 16 month course.

'Trinidad is great' has come from many reliable sources.

Depending on your time and budget a number of these schools offer NRA Summer Programs (one or two week classes). Lassen College's GS program in Susanville, CA switched their entire program over from semesters to the week or two format. Their 2012 Summer NRA schedule is out:

http://lassengunsmithing.com/html/frame01.htm

For a number of summers I spent a week or two there. Great stuff. I haven't been for a couple of years and have heard they have had challenges lately. I plan to go back soon and often.

If you follow the links you can see tool lists and info on the classes. A weeks tuition is cheap and you can stay in the dorms. Many of the students are LE or gunsmiths from small shops. Attending would be a great jump start even if you go to another school. Bob Chavez is a GOD.

Check Brownells website for other school's info. I think you just missed their gunsmith career fair.

Montgomery Community, hands down. I have been to CST as well but did not finish- money. MCC is way cheaper and has a better program than either of the private schools. However I will warn you that the waiting list to get into MCC is running something like 130 at the moment, everyone is trying to get there.
Trinidad and OK have similar programs, state colleges spend their budgets on equipment and supplies. Private schools are for profit by private owners, so you can imagine some of the differe nces.

A big plus is there is nothing to do in Montgomery county but hunt, fish, drink beer and go to school. You will love NC summer humidity, red bugs and skeeters
smile.gif
All kidding aside it has a great reputation for gunsmithing. Between Southern Pines and the Uwharrie horse trails you can probably get some farrier work on the side

American Gunsmithing Institute has all kinds of video courses that you can take without leaving home. I don't know if they are any good what it maybe worth a look. I also agree with the statement that it may be best to just look at general machining classes. I have a feeling that once you learn a broad based skill applying to gunsmthing maybe simple and you still have the option to pursue higher paying machining jobs.

Here in Houston oil field equipment is a big deal and machinists are always in demand.

The videos are mostly good videos, and some of them we even used in class. However, being a Kinestetic learner, until I get my hands on it and propper finger it- I don't pick up on it.
If there is no other alternative, the videos and community college machine shop courses will get you a foundation.
What I have found in my career, is that unlike other jobs and projects, there are few 100% THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT operations with regard to gunsmithing. Everyone has their tricks, methods, ways, products etc. Bedding is a perfect example, there are DONT DOs, but there are a whole lot of 'DOs' that people argue over.
Guided experience is the best teacher, experience being the second but more painful at times.
I was once told by one of the most respected men in gunsmithing education- 'It's not NOT phuqing up- because you're going to- it's how you fix it make sure no one ever knows you did.' Words to live by.
Having few distractions near school was great, hunting fishing and drinking beer being highest on the list. In Denver at CST- way more trouble and distraction.