• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TrailBoss replacement

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
Wondering what everyone is using to replace Trail Boss. I just used up the last of mine. I was only using it for light 300 blackout bullets in a bolt gun. Great for teaching the grandsons.

Red Dot or Tin Star are the closest. Both are extremely fast burning, fluffy powders. They do not take up as much case volume though.

Reactions: Dogtown and st1650
I forgot to mention one of my favorite 300 BLK loads is 3.8-4.0 gr of Red Dot under a 110 gr bullet. Generates around 1000 fps, very accurate, and Hollywood quiet similar to a subsonic suppressed 22. You and your grandsons will love it. It absolutely does not cycle the action of an AR though.

Thanks tekmann2377, I'm using 110 grainers and we are suppressed. I will definitely give it a shot. Pun intended.
Also, SkyScrapin, love the avirar!

For bolt guns:
Tinstar works perfect with 110-175gr for 300BLK
N105-N110 for the 190-240gr
HP38 for 135-190

Red dot also good for light weight bullets and blue dot for the heavy ones.
Trailboss is still the king due to its fast burn and highest density.

My LGS is showing both RedDot and Tin Star in stock. Think I'll start there. Thanks a bunch folks

Reactions: st1650
I use CFE BLK with the Maker 200 gr. Rex in the same bolt gun for deer. It's absolutely awesome. I've never tried CFEBLK with light bullets. Thanks again

Reactions: BLEE
My LGS is showing both RedDot and Tin Star in stock. Think I'll start there. Thanks a bunch folks
I'd go with tinstar over red dot just because of the better case fill.

Wondering what everyone is using to replace Trail Boss. I just used up the last of mine. I was only using it for light 300 blackout bullets in a bolt gun. Great for teaching the grandsons.

Another nice powder, and cheep bullet alternative to trigger time on 300BLK sawed-off x45 Case is just use ...
110 grain .30 Cal. Speer HP's ... over ( 4.4 grain ) Vitv N-320

'my favorite '.. I still have a few box's of HP's , but I don't know if Speer makes those carbine HP soft points anymore . But any of the 110 grn.bullets made for .30 cal. Carbine work great . I pretty sure Berry's and other's still make inexpensive .30 110's .
Great cheep trigger time. and if you .30 suppressed. the residual gas from powder burn is minute and sounds like your suppressed .22LR .

.30 HP's.jpg

-

Last edited:
Speer still offers the round nose 110's but not the HP's which was what I was using. I'll be trying the N320 for sure. I gotta find an accurate load. My oldest grandson (10yrs) is hitting a 8 x 8 plate at 100yds with shitty inferred night scope. Another one joins the ranks.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

So I have been talking to the engineers at Hornady to give additional choices to shoot their SubX 190 308
They included data for Benchmark and Titegroup
These two choices are driving that bullet to roughly a thousand feet per minute.
With trajectory at 100 yds at 8.8 inches drop but still total bullet expansion.
They used a 24" barrel Remington 700 which I thought was interesting.
I'm sure if ask them they will send you blackout data as that's what these bullets were designed for.
Good luck!

So I have been talking to the engineers at Hornady to give additional choices to shoot their SubX 190 308
They included data for Benchmark and Titegroup
These two choices are driving that bullet to roughly a thousand feet per minute.
With trajectory at 100 yds at 8.8 inches drop but still total bullet expansion.
They used a 24" barrel Remington 700 which I thought was interesting.
I'm sure if ask them they will send you blackout data as that's what these bullets were designed for.
Good luck!
I meant per second on that speed sorry

Interesting. I have a jug or two and dont use it often so haven't needed to buy in years. I guess I should think about what I want to use it for.

Reactions: lash
I use 12gr of CFE-BLK for my suppressed 7.62x39 255gr Sub-X loads. I haven't chrono'd, but they are very quiet. I don't see why you couldn't work up a load for lighter weight projectiles.

Thought about it but I think I'd get erratic numbers due to case fill. I've got some good suggestions out of this and other forums. The problem is going to be actually finding the powders on the shelves. So far I've only found Unique and Bullseye.