• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Training class in Ca

Keel Haul

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Denver Colorado
Wasn’t sure if this should go in the “training/classes” section but since it isn’t about a course specifically I went here.

Normally I avoid all things California however there is an instructor I’ve been wanting to train with who’s teaching a course in California in September. This would be a course specifically for the Tavor X95. I tried looking up if a non resident can bring verboten items like the Tavor and standard mags and couldn’t find much so I figure someone here has to know. I’d rather not sign up and get stopped at the airport and get a felony.

Thanks guys.

Bringing in a dreaded "assault weapon" is generally a No-Go. Let me look up some of my retarded, unconstitutional laws I'm supposed to uphold. I'll PM you later.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Ok, here we go... DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU GET ARRESTED. I am not a lawyer, I am merely relaying text of the law.

After calling the California DOJ firearm law information line, I talked to an employee who walked me through the laws pertaining to "importation" of assault weapons by non-residents into California for a temporary purpose, such as a sanctioned competition..

California Penal Code section 30665 says :

ARTICLE 2. Unlawful Acts Relating to Assault Weapons and .50 BMG Rifles [30600 - 30680]
( Article 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CA PC 30600 says no you can't do it without an exemption...... 30665 details the exemption for non-residents who want to bring their AW into Cali for a specific purpose, like a sanctioned competition... reas below: YOU HAVE TO MEET ALL THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA BELOW.

Sections 30600, 30605, and 30610 shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.

(b) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(1) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(2) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(c) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.

(d) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 25610 or Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division 5.

(e) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. (SB 1080) Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

I asked "what about training class that's not necessarily directly connected to a competition"

They advised its not part of the exemption. But it can be a "gray area." As it pertains to being exempt. They went on to say it would basically be up to the prosecutor to decide to file a charge, and ultimately the jury to determine if a person is guilty of unlawfully importing an assault weapon into California... a FELONY.

So.... If I was you... I wouldn't do it. If I were to pull you over, discover the "assault rifle" , and you provided me your enrollment in a training class and the text of the law as stated above, I personally would let you go because I have a brain. But, there are lots of cops that don't give a shit and if they see and gun violation, they do whatever the law says.

Thanks for that, it’s appreciated. I guess I’ll have to wait until she makes the next trip from Israel. She’s cute and all but not worth a felony.

Ok, here we go... DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU GET ARRESTED. I am not a lawyer, I am merely relaying text of the law.

After calling the California DOJ firearm law information line, I talked to an employee who walked me through the laws pertaining to "importation" of assault weapons by non-residents into California for a temporary purpose, such as a sanctioned competition..

California Penal Code section 30665 says :

ARTICLE 2. Unlawful Acts Relating to Assault Weapons and .50 BMG Rifles [30600 - 30680]
( Article 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CA PC 30600 says no you can't do it without an exemption...... 30665 details the exemption for non-residents who want to bring their AW into Cali for a specific purpose, like a sanctioned competition... reas below: YOU HAVE TO MEET ALL THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA BELOW.

Sections 30600, 30605, and 30610 shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.

(b) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(1) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(2) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(c) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.

(d) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 25610 or Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division 5.

(e) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. (SB 1080) Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

I asked "what about training class that's not necessarily directly connected to a competition"

They advised its not part of the exemption. But it can be a "gray area." As it pertains to being exempt. They went on to say it would basically be up to the prosecutor to decide to file a charge, and ultimately the jury to determine if a person is guilty of unlawfully importing an assault weapon into California... a FELONY.

So.... If I was you... I wouldn't do it. If I were to pull you over, discover the "assault rifle" , and you provided me your enrollment in a training class and the text of the law as stated above, I personally would let you go because I have a brain. But, there are lots of cops that don't give a shit and if they see and gun violation, they do whatever the law says.

Wait for it...... "Another cop just trying to trap some poor bastard. Damn cops."

Are you going for a class or to hit on her? Lol.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Asking for legal advice on a forum like this isn't really a good idea because you can literally go from zero to fucked instantly just from misinterpreting a single word in the state and federal gun laws.

That’s correct, there will always be some clowns no matter the forum who will give wrong info, however there is usually someone in the know. With all the top notch individuals here, I was confident someone would have an answer.

That’s correct, there will always be some clowns no matter the forum who will give wrong info, however there is usually someone in the know. With all the top notch individuals here, I was confident someone would have an answer.

Usually, these classes will have something available to rent, if you don’t want to take your own. In this case, I’d see if renting something already in CA is an option.

Reactions: Keel Haul
I would contact the instructor.

Is there a way to easily make it CA compliant for sake of transport? Then you could possibly revert it in the privacy of your destination.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Wasn’t sure if this should go in the “training/classes” section but since it isn’t about a course specifically I went here.

Normally I avoid all things California however there is an instructor I’ve been wanting to train with who’s teaching a course in California in September. This would be a course specifically for the Tavor X95. I tried looking up if a non resident can bring verboten items like the Tavor and standard mags and couldn’t find much so I figure someone here has to know. I’d rather not sign up and get stopped at the airport and get a felony.

Thanks guys.
no go

You can bring ammo into the state as a non resident of CA

You cannot import mags that are over 10 rounds
You cannot import "assault Weapons"- determined by both specific models on a Shindler's list and by features...
So Semi auto & Detachable magazine cannot have features....
Folding Stock
Adjustable stock
Flash hider
Pistol Grip
forward grip

Stock Mini 14 is OK - as long as it does not have a flash hider

Thanks for all the info guys. At this point it’s not worth making the attempt to train with her in California. I’ll wait till she comes back to train in another state.