• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger tech for AR platform

ojs643

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Kingsville, Tx.
Hello. Was thinking of upgrading my ar10 trigger to a reigger tech. I know how good the trigger tech is on a bolt gun, but how good will it be on a gas gun? I am currently using a hiperfire trigger. Thanks.

I'd go with either a Geissele SSA or the SSA-E. Depending how light you want the 2nd stage let off to be. My favorite is the SSA-E because of the lighter 2nd stage let off.

Reactions: dgannon3
I own two. Flat blade one is on an AR10, and a curved shoe on an AR15. Both feel comfortable. I also have a Rise Armament RA-535, which I do not care for as much, but still feels good. There is no take up on that, but there is a tiny, and I do many tiny amount of travel before it breaks. The trigger techs are exactly as they describe, a little take up like a 1911, a solid wall,and a trigger break like glass.
I would like to put a Geissele in my next lower to try, but I am not sure, never shot one. I like a single stage for quicker trigger work, so was thinking maybe the single stage from them.

Reactions: flyer
I have been a giesslle fan since day one in my ars, but last yr i tried a TT adaptable flat in my groundhog gun, i have 6 gieslle triggers, i now have 4 TT triggers. They are fantastic, ill be getting the diamond ar trigger when it comes out. Try one i dont think youll be disappointed.

Never had a geissele, but I have triggertech adaptables in my AR-15 and AR-10 and can't imagine anything better. You will not be dissapointed. I will have their 2 stage in my 700 as soon as it's released.

Reactions: scatterbrains
Wait for the Trigger Tech Diamond... I’m shooting one of their prototypes and can’t say enough about how nice it is. I’ve had a Hyperfire and still have a Geissele National Match in another lower. The Geissele is nice, but I prefer the TT Diamond and installation/adjustment of the TT is magnitudes less frustrating.

I was a RRA-NM trigger fan, tried a Geiselle (now have 4) but tried the TT triggers at SHOT show and my next AR trigger will be the TT Diamond. I was very impressed, now have one in my Vudoo and looking forward to the release of the AR version.

I have the trigger tech adaptable flat bow. I've used the Larue MBT, Geissele SSA, and CMC Single Stage and prefer the Trigger Tech mainly b/c of the flat bow and the trigger weight adjustment. I will probably upgrade to the Diamond when it is released.

Speaking from experience the trigger techs are hit or miss with AR10s which makes sense because they were engineered for Ar15s (last I saw their website says this). I did try putting a trigger tech AR adaptable in my LaRue OBR and it had many issues especially failures of the trigger to hit the firing pin with enough force. I do know Timney Calvin Elites work well in AR10s and AR Golds.

Maybe it'll work for your set up but for mine it was a no go.

Couldn’t agree more with the guy above me. Geissele makes phenomenal triggers, but they’re just really well tuned AR triggers (not that that’s necessarily a bad thing). The TriggerTechs are dedicated precision triggers. I have the AR Adjustable and it’s insanely good.

Reactions: stilesg57
Geissele is the ONLY trigger I would ever use on an AR platform. They are safe, proven, and feel incredible compared to everything else out there.

Well its clear you have never felt the Trigger Tech AR triggers.

Reactions: drewthebrave
TriggerTech makes the best precision trigger out there at the moment, IMO. The Black Diamond may well prove to be even better. What is a little frustrating to me is that a trigger in this price range does not come with hammer and trigger pins.

IMG_8135.jpeg

Have Geissele SSA-E. It’s only OK compared to my AR Gold. The first stage feels gritty and I can’t seem to smooth it out though cleaning and lube. Hard to say if it was always this way or if I just notice now since I’ve got the AR Gold. My trigger tech is good though I haven’t evaluated it fairly since it is set heavier than the others right now. I can’t see how you’d be left wanting buying an AR Gold.

I haven't used a Trigger Tech but looking at their roller setup, I'm intrigued. I have a Bix 'n Andy Remington 700 trigger that feels very nice with it's ball bearing setup that I assume is similar.

I have used a Giselle trigger and it was nice but nothing special.

I don't know how they got so many fanboys but it's getting to be annoying.

I like the more budget oriented AR triggers myself. I paid a lot for an SR Gold years ago and it's nice but not 3x as nice as a Larue MBT. I do just fine with the budget triggers so I feel like the value is at the low end.

The next time I feel like spending a lot on an AR trigger, it will probably be a Trigger Tech Diamond. It probably won't be soon though.

Reactions: MSTN
TT adaptable is great! Have one in my 6.8 and love it. With the adjustment I can set for the range and just a few clicks ready for hunting.

You won’t be disappointed!!

TT adaptable replaced the SSA-E in my precision AR. The geissele is great but the TT is better IMO. I’ve had almost every trigger available in the AR platform and the TT is my fave.

Currently I'm using the Timney Calvin Elite in my AR15s and AR9...TT Diamond AR Flat I pre ordered has finally shipped and I'll have it on Monday...looking forward to see how it compares to the Timney...

Break crispness/feel and overtravel. TT almost doesn’t feel mechanical: it’s almost as if it’s an electronic pressure pad that you put your finger on and apply pressure until the gun suddenly goes off. I love it. And I really liked the SSA-E; had it on one of my target ARs since I finished building it in 2015.

Just installed the TT Adjustible Limited Green from Brownells and I like it a lot. To me, it’s smoother and crisper then my SSA-E. Dry firing is feel more like a precision trigger then a tactical one but I will wait until a range trip before I make the final call.

+1 TriggerTech Diamond straight bow, Timney Calvin Elite and Elftmann are very close,but the break and reset are better on the TT, IMO.

+1 TriggerTech Diamond straight bow, Timney Calvin Elite and Elftmann are very close,but the break and reset are better on the TT, IMO.
Exact opposite in my experience. I have all three and the TT is great for precision but has next to zero reset force so it's the slowest trigger by far.

Reactions: FALex
I tried the TT diamonds for a while and most Geisseles. I have tried a ton of triggers but I just keeping coming back to AR Gold. I now have them on every AR I own.

I replaced a Timney Targa Red with a TT Adaptable on my 22" 6mm ARC AR. It's a fine trigger but I was underwhelmed by it to be honest. I was expecting trigger nirvana after all of the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice trigger, but it wasn't the orgasmic experience folks make it out to be. I only spent $150 on it at Brownells and for that price it's a good deal. I'd be very disappointed if I'd paid MSRP.

I replaced a Timney Targa Red with a TT Adaptable on my 22" 6mm ARC AR. It's a fine trigger but I was underwhelmed by it to be honest. I was expecting trigger nirvana after all of the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice trigger, but it wasn't the orgasmic experience folks make it out to be.
The hype is all about the Diamond. Or at least it should be. The Adaptable is meh..

I own four, have all but the combat model. (Not all trigger shoe options.) I have two flats and two curved. Would like to get a flat curved diamond. The diamond is nice, but if you don't need that light of a trigger, the others will do fine. Like mentioned earlier, the reset leaves much to be desired, but I'm used to it by now.

The hype is all about the Diamond. Or at least it should be. The Adaptable is meh..
My Adaptable is a Special Edition with the Diamond hammer and Adaptable shoe and Adaptable pull weight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the only meaningful difference between the Diamond and Adaptable is the pull weight. Do the different hammer and shoe change the feel that much or is it just the pull weight? My understanding is that the trigger geometry is the same. If it's just the pull weight, then I'm not convinced it's all that and a bag of chips. Again, nice trigger, just not worth selling one of my kids to obtain.

I replaced a Timney Targa Red with a TT Adaptable on my 22" 6mm ARC AR. It's a fine trigger but I was underwhelmed by it to be honest. I was expecting trigger nirvana after all of the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice trigger, but it wasn't the orgasmic experience folks make it out to be. I only spent $150 on it at Brownells and for that price it's a good deal. I'd be very disappointed if I'd paid MSRP.

I bought the same one and am pretty happy with it. I'd prefer a slightly heavier first stage and ended up setting it pretty light to get a comfortable pull force ratio between stages. It has a cleaner break than my MBT-2s and SSA-E, and is at least as consistent and the MBT-2s.

After playing with it I went back to purchase another, but Brownells is sold out. So, if you're looking to move it...

I bought the same one and am pretty happy with it. I'd prefer a slightly heavier first stage and ended up setting it pretty light to get a comfortable pull force ratio between stages. It has a cleaner break than my MBT-2s and SSA-E, and is at least as consistent and the MBT-2s.

After playing with it I went back to purchase another, but Brownells is sold out. So, if you're looking to move it...
Yeah, I had to really lighten it up...I was afraid that I was going to back the screw out all of the way.

I don't dislike it, but apparently my expectations were a bit high. Like I said, it's a fine trigger and for the price I can't complain. I needed another trigger for a new build so I moved some triggers around. I don't think I'll be changing it out but it may get moved over to another rifle since I have another trigger (RRA-NM) that is going to be rotated out and sold off. I have 6 MBT-2S triggers and the TT is certainly better than them. But it's not a night/day difference with the Timney Targa Red Short First Stage. I have a dozen other single stage triggers (9 of which are KE Arms SLTs) in builds and generally I'm a single stage kind of guy, so that may be part of my issue. I'm just not cultured enough. :)

I backed it off where the detents don't really always detent. I didn't feel confidence inspiring, but It's still over half a pound above the advertised minimum pull weight. So, I rolled with it.

Also threw some anti-walk pins at it. I don't have much experience with cassette style triggers and wanted a touch of security.

You can remove the TT weight adjustment screw. It doesn't hurt anything. Actually, now that I think about it, I need to find mine, and put them in my spare parts bin.

Reactions: Neurotic
My Adaptable is a Special Edition with the Diamond hammer and Adaptable shoe and Adaptable pull weight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the only meaningful difference between the Diamond and Adaptable is the pull weight. Do the different hammer and shoe change the feel that much or is it just the pull weight? My understanding is that the trigger geometry is the same. If it's just the pull weight, then I'm not convinced it's all that and a bag of chips. Again, nice trigger, just not worth selling one of my kids to obtain.
Can't say I know much about special edition triggers that sound like a hybrid.
But talking up a really clean 3.5lb trigger is like saying you have a new Toyota Camry with all the options. There's nothing wrong with being on the upper end of average but it's hard to get excited about.
The pull weight is the main differentiating feature once you get to really nice triggers.

Can't say I know much about special edition triggers that sound like a hybrid.
But talking up a really clean 3.5lb trigger is like saying you have a new Toyota Camry with all the options. There's nothing wrong with being on the upper end of average but it's hard to get excited about.
The pull weight is the main differentiating feature once you get to really nice triggers.
I'm not sure who you think is talking it up. Certainly not me. As for the main differentiating feature being pull weight, I find the subtle variations in takeup, travel and reset to be the true differentiating factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewthebrave
My problem with the TT is that it breaks too clean.
I'm not joking.

I'm not sure who you think is talking it up. Certainly not me. As for the main differentiating feature being pull weight, I find the subtle variations in takeup, travel and reset to be the true differentiating factors.
No, I didn't mean to include you in the fanboi group.
There's a million fish in the 3-4lb trigger ocean, something to tickle everybody's fancy. There's like 6 in the sub 2lb category, that's what makes it a big deal.

Reactions: Tonsofguns