• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Used MPA 6.5 Creedmoor - How can I tell if it is a Curtis action or ARC CDG action?

VegasAg

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
Houston
I came across a used MPA 6.5 Creedmoor at my LGS. I heard MPA uses the ARC CDG, but previously used Curtis. I'll buy it if it is a CDG action, but the action is branded MPA.

What do I look for to tell if it is a Curtis or ARC CDG?

...and yes, I'm a noob to the nuances of various actions.

just look at pics online. It will be obvious as they have many differences. Or you can let me know where it is and I will check it out for you.
Jerry V

I'll do a closer look at pics online. I'll take pics of the action tomorrow.

Thanks.

So based on close inspection of online pics of both actions, it appears this used MPA has a Curtis.

The rifle has a heavy contour 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

$1499.00 lightly used.

I'm looking for a dedicated long range target rifle as I already have a few shorter barrel 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for hunting.

What say you SH? Good buy? I can also get a Savage 110 Ultra Lite $1599 with proof barrel and put in my HNT26 chassis. But i guess that comes down to Curtis action or good ole fluted Savage 110 (which I already have in 6 ARC). Alternatively, I can get a prefit for my TL3 but I don't want have to change barrels often even though I do it myself at home with Go - No Go gauges.

I love this sight for the experienced shooter's insight for a noob.

Just hope nothing breaks or you need customer support from Curtis. They are horrible in that sense. Buy all the replacement parts you can now, as who knows how long they'll be in business.

Reactions: Lightning8
$1500 for a complete rifle. Do you know how many rounds?

What chassis?
Any chassis accessories (weights)?
What trigger?
Muzzle Brake?

It seems like a good deal.

Even a BA Comp chassis alone is about $700-$800 used.
Used Actions are $900-$1200 alone
Barrels vary widely
Triggers if it's a TriggerTech Special or Diamond would be $125-$225 used
Used brakes are in the $100 range

If its a complete rifle 1499 is NOT bad.
Does it come with a chassis and trigger or is it only a barrel action @ 1499?
does it say masterpiece arms on the action itself?
If your worried the barrel is shot out MPA does have the ability to send you a prefit based off your serial number for $650/700

I think the MPA Production class rifles tend to be a good deal for the money.

Is it the best action? Don't know / Don/t care.

Does it shoot really well for 100yrd groups... Mine does.
my current curtis MPA 6.5cm action shoots 1 holes groups for 100 yards
.5-.6 for 200 yard groups.
easily rings steel for 1k yards.

Here's some food for thought new vs used...
is it worth it for 1k more? questionable...
If your barrel is shot out its $650 to rebarrel so now your rifle is at 2150.... for 500-1150$ is it worth it?

The old PMR pro / pro 2 complete rifle was 2500 retail with a TT trigger and a curtis axiom action.
The current PMR pro 2 is 2600 retail (that's the one w/a CDG action aka the mpa elite action)
Only problem is its about a 3 month wait.

just my .02

Reactions: lash
Complete rifle, Trigger Tech Special Single Stage.

Never been fired - I looked down the barrel and gun closely. Guy won it in a raffle and sold it without ever firing it. Not his style of shooting.

I'm grabbing it and will just sell it if I don't keep it.

For a never fired rifle it's a good deal. Like I said a used BA Comp chassis alone is half the value.

Sounds like a better than good deal. I have two Curtis- Axiom and Vector actions and never any problems. Welcome to Production Class PRS.

Thanks all. I just picked it up and will head to the range after I mount the scope (which is a another topic altogether). I sold my Razor GII 4.5-27 and my S&B PMII 5-25 when I thought I was getting out of long range. I don't need anything on that tier but I want something with really good bang for the buck.