• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vibe tumbler media options

4dds

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Can stainless pins be ran in a vibrating tumbler? My corn cob media is about shot and I’m having to soak the brass in isso? Case cleaner for about 5 minutes to get them clean. If the stainless pins aren’t an option what’s the next best thing?

I tried the roasted buck wheat for a while (pure, didn’t mix it). It was great for a few cycles, but quickly started falling apart and would coat the brass in an adhering powder that was a pain to get off. It was also much harder to get stuck pieces out of primer pockets, though it happened with less frequency than walnut. Ultimately, I was unimpressed by its lifespan, and the annoying effects when it reached its end. I’ve gone back to walnut, it’s the best compromise in my opinion.

I’m not sure about the stainless media in a vibratory. I don’t have experience, but I’m pretty sure it won’t work very well, as you won’t get much motion without a rotary style tumbler. Also, I expect most vibratory tumblers would get burned out very quickly using SS media, either the motor or the suspension system, especially if your using the cheaper reloading style tumblers.

Someone else who’s actually tried it can give a better recommendation, but it’s not something I think would work well.

I started with pure corn but wasnt happy with the results / time. Added around 2 pounds stainless pins and it helped quite a bit. Hornady tumbler. Things went sideways from there. I had a discolored case one day and grabbed a scotch brite to try and clean it up. One thing led to another and I frequently chuck em all up and scotch brite em head to toe. Actually gotten pretty quick at it.
20190201_225314.jpg
20190207_212754.jpg

I started with pure corn but wasnt happy with the results / time. Added around 2 pounds stainless pins and it helped quite a bit. Hornady tumbler. Things went sideways from there. I had a discolored case one day and grabbed a scotch brite to try and clean it up. One thing led to another and I frequently chuck em all up and scotch brite em head to toe. Actually gotten pretty quick at it.View attachment 7072768View attachment 7072769
That looks good but I was hoping for less work not more. Haha

I’ve been using rice lately , it seems to work well for a few cycles and then starts to turn into rice powder.... I now have a 50/50 mix of rice and corncob.

I do about 50/50 walnut and corn cob mix with a brass cleaner that goes in the media. it works great for about 10-15 cycles but then needs to get replaced or it will start to get really dusty.

I’ve been eyeing the 40grit glass bead media at harbor freight it’s meant for sandblasting but in my mind it should work well in a vibratory with a little polish added maybe has anyone else tried anything like that I really want a way to avoid the dust and residue of typical media without getting the brass wet and having to dry it out I have an ultrasonic cleaner which will get my brass overly clean if I would like but then I have to dry it overnight or in the oven at 200deg which I’m not a fan of?

these buckwheat groats have tumbled at least 5000 cases probably closer to 8000....i sized the cases in the pic saturday after firing then tumbled for 20mins....zero dust with these...1 cap of car wax when new and run tumbler 1 hour before adding brass then when tumbling brass add 1 to 2 dryer sheets cut up into 1"-2" squares they keep the media clean and your brass shiny.

Attachments

• 4E05699B-6E01-432A-B855-F697292C6B37.jpeg
    4E05699B-6E01-432A-B855-F697292C6B37.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 6B116C98-7AC2-4D77-A916-B9574368FA81.jpeg
    6B116C98-7AC2-4D77-A916-B9574368FA81.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
When a friend was reloading for me [25 year ago] he found a deal on what I believe was corncob treated media that you old timers may remember encounteringy in stores with unfinished and sealed hardwood floors. They spread it around and customers would walk on it for a few days and then swept up. Worked great, but I'm not sure you can find it anymore. Not tried it myself but would if I could find it.

Its hard to beat corncob or walnut media. Walnut cleans dirty brass faster while corncob polishes. Other things will work but don't seem to last as long. If I don't wet tumble I put a cap each of mineral spirits and car police in corncob media. I'll run it enough to throughly mix it before I add brass to it.

Reactions: Snuby642
I tried the buckwheat today and decided to mix some cob back in. Will try the car wax trick next time.

I tried the buckwheat today and decided to mix some cob back in. Will try the car wax trick next time.

You have to use the ones I posted...plain buckwheat will turn to dust...run 1 cap of car wax and alway run dryer sheets...if you want your brass shinier make your run time longer no need for corn cob

You have to use the ones I posted...plain buckwheat will turn to dust...run 1 cap of car wax and alway run dryer sheets...if you want your brass shinier make your run time longer no need for corn cob
Those are the ones I used, clicked your link. I may also be expecting more based what I like to see.

Maybe...I’m a wet tumble convert and I’ve only used the groats but when I tumble for and hour they are close to what stainless did

40 pound bag of medium grain white rice at Costco, still have 34 pounds since purchase last summer!

Tumbled the next group a little longer with the car polish. Quite impressed.

This may be a stupid question but what does the dryer sheet strips do?

50/50 mix corn cob and walnut. Every fifth batch I add a little Nufinish. Toss in dryer sheet strips the last half hour or so. I see no reason to change.

You can buy a 40lb bag of 20-40 grit corn cob blast media for cheap. It works great, doesn't get stuck in flash holes, and will last forever. I use it combined with a bit of Nufinish and get great results.