• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG Anodized Finish

ram

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Louisiana
I’m looking at purchasing an AMG or the Gen 2 Razor, and a friend of mine had one and got rid of it because he said the finish scratched easily to the point that after a few range trips it looked worse than his three year old Gen 2 Razor.

Is this a known issue with the AMG, or has the finish been improved lately? I know wear is inevitable, but I do prefer a durable finish.

Last edited:
Haven't yet owned an AMG, but why not use a scope wrap if it's a concern?
Personally, I figure rifles and optics are meant to be used, and don't worry about normal wear and tear, but also would prefer gear doesn't look like it's been through a war after a range outing or a few matches, so maybe a bit of scope wrap might help out here?

+1 on the scope wrap. If you're considering an AMG, its either because of he reticle or the features vs weight aspect. That's going to outweigh the finish scratching easily.

Obviously we want things to look nice, but if you like the reticle and/or weight of the AMG over the GII, I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

No issue with my AMG.. I mean, I run it in matches and it has some scratches and dings, but not because it's "soft".
It almost has a chalkboard feel to it so fingernails, etc leave 'scratches', but they wipe off.

Reactions: Basher