• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex quality control issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad0001

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Greenville, SC
Ordered a 2.5 - 10 x 32 FFP EBR-1 illuminated. At minimum mag power, red light was leaking from the 9 to 12 o'clock edge of the reticle. Sent it back.
Ordered another from different supplier. When illuminated there was a red dot in the middle of the right upper quadrant of the reticle. Sent it back.
Scope #3 is on the way here. Lets hope I get a good one.

Obviously I'm pretty set on this scope, but only because it seems to be the only FFP medium range illuminated, Mil/Mil scope with the type of reticle I want etc. at a relatively good price ($ 799)

Don't want to spend $1,600 on a Nightforce, don't want an SFP Leupold, etc.

I heard Vortex scopes were good, but I'm starting to lose confidence.

Any suggestions for "plan D", if the next one is also defective?

Send it in for repair and in the repair information sheet, ask the customer service manager to call you personally and discuss the issue. She is a very nice lady that is very helpful. Their customer service reputation is well deserved.

Go through Vortex if you have a problem. Don't send it back to the retailer.

Popcorn ready

Hkq3c.gif

Illumination leakage is a problem with all sorts of scopes, could be how your head was behind it on lower powers as well.

It is a good scope (I have one) but if you are that picky you should be saving your pennies for Nightforce or one of the top tier Euro companies. But even then they are not always 100% perfect with illumination, eyebox, chromatic aberration, tunneling, etc etc etc.

Illumination leakage is a problem with all sorts of scopes, could be how your head was behind it on lower powers as well.

As a general rule yes, but I've had four PST's including the model OP is trying to get, and all of them did very well on illumination - very little bleed and what there was was uniform. What OP describes is more what I'm used to seeing with lower cost illuminated Weavers (despite being LOW Japan scopes). OP, if you have another issue deal directly with Vortex as already mentioned.

Ordered a 2.5 - 10 x 32 FFP EBR-1 illuminated. At minimum mag power, red light was leaking from the 9 to 12 o'clock edge of the reticle. Sent it back.
Ordered another from different supplier. When illuminated there was a red dot in the middle of the right upper quadrant of the reticle. Sent it back.
Scope #3 is on the way here. Lets hope I get a good one.

Obviously I'm pretty set on this scope, but only because it seems to be the only FFP medium range illuminated, Mil/Mil scope with the type of reticle I want etc. at a relatively good price ($ 799)
Don't want to spend $1,600 on a Nightforce, don't want an SFP Leupold, etc.
I heard Vortex scopes were good, but I'm starting to lose confidence.
Any suggestions for "plan D", if the next one is also defective?

I Had an issue with my Viper PST-6-24S1-M where the reticle shifted on its axis a few weeks after shooting with it. Their customer service was exceptional, they sent me a UPS label immediately. I had my scope back a week later. Issues fixed. I have not had a problem since, the scope sits atop my 6.5 grendel AR. 1

Seems like the Vortex CS is so good because they've had a lot of practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the Vortex CS is so good because they've had a lot of practice.

Seems like a simplistic way to look at it without looking at the big picture that they do take care of their customers very well for the scopes that do have problems. People without problems won't post nearly as much as people who do have problems so it seems like there are many problems with the PSTs. I would bet the percentage of problems is no more than other scopes in the same price range and I would also bet that the way the customers with those problems are treated is well above that of other similarly priced scopes.

Yes it sucks to have to call customer service. I have had to do it with scopes costing 3 times as much. But isn't it nice when you do that they take care of you like you are a VIP?

I'm buying a Vortex this week (Viper HS 2.5-10X44) without the illumination and it's nice to hear the CS is good. There is plenty of feedback on the PST model but not much on the HS.

A lot of betting on speculation in your post Rob.
So to keep it fair, I will bet that you are wrong on the point of the failure rate of other similarly priced brands.
There is no way to prove any of it so why even type the BS?

A lot of betting on speculation in your post Rob.
So to keep it fair, I will bet that you are wrong on the point of the failure rate of other similarly priced brands.
There is no way to prove any of it so why even type the BS?

Why did you type it? Why do people like Bass drop in to post snide comments?

I don't believe it's BS. It's what I believe from being around this long enough and watching many brands and posts on this forum. You will see alot of SH members buying PSTs because of the features and price and if something happens you will see it posted here. Do you really think that the number of problems is that high in the percentage of actual scopes sold? How many are buying and not having problems? I don't know exactly but as I said I would bet it is quite a few as I know many people with PSTs and no problems myself included. The PST line is very popular. As I mentioned you usually don't hear from the people enjoying their scopes.

Vortex is a company and a company wants to make money and if the percentage of scopes was that high coming back and costing them money then there would be a serious problem.

Nice deflection.
Why does it matter what snide posts fall as a response to an ongoing trend of PST failure/lack of quality? It's a normal trend for this model and brand.
Why do you defend Vortex with such vigor?
I posted to come DOWN to your level of thinking and show your ignorance. Moderators should be held to a higher standard IMO.
I have no idea what the failure rate is on the PST ....or leupold, or nightforce, or S&B, or Zeiss, or IOR, etc.
Neither do you obviously and it really does not matter for the point I was making.

Maybe I missed your point?

To be clear, I have ZERO issues with Vortex. They filled a void in the scope market and seem to have been successful doing so.
I've owned 4 PST scopes and will not own another. I have owned their high end spotter and binos and they are really good, right there with the alpha stuff. That is my experience and opinion. Nothing more nothing less and I would bet nothing on my experience alone.

Nice deflection.
Why does it matter what snide posts fall as a response to an ongoing trend of PST failure/lack of quality? It's a normal trend for this model and brand.
I posted to come DOWN to your level of thinking and show your ignorance. Moderators should be held to a higher standard IMO.
I have no idea what the failure rate is on the PST ....or leupold, or nightforce, or S&B, or Zeiss, or IOR, etc.
Neither do you obviously and it really does not matter for the point I was making.

To be clear, I have ZERO issues with Vortex. They filled a void in the scope market and seem to have been successful doing so.
I've owned 4 PST scopes and will not own another. I have owned their high end spotter and binos and they are really good, right there with the alpha stuff. That is my experience and opinion. Nothing more nothing less and I would bet nothing on my experience alone.

So if anyone offers an alternative opinion based upon their experiences it's now considered deflection? Ignorance is being on a bandwagon and expecting others to either join you in it or hide from it.

Deflection is not answering the question, yet replying with a question pointing away from oneself.
I really don't care to waste more of my time on this.
Rob bets that the PST run rate is better than any other scope in the same price bracket. It must be true.

Nice deflection.

I don't defend Vortex as they don't need my defense. Their products and customer service stands on it's own. There was no deflection. My opinion in the "bet" was just that from being on this forum as well as many others and looking at both their products and many other companies. You have yours and are entitled to it through your experiences. You obviously have had bad experiences with the PST. That's fine. I have had bad experiences with companies that I wouldn't use again either and paid much more for them. Posting your experiences with companies should never be slammed in threads but as we know that's not always the case.

As to failure rate, I would find it interesting if any company would give the official numbers but since they don't we can only go off of what we see, read and hear. My posting was neither ignorant or anything to go down to. It was from what i have seen, read and heard from not just this board but again many other forums and talking to people.

Also being a moderator here doesn't mean I need to be held at a higher standard. We are here to keep the board running. Do it as volunteers. Doesn't effect my opinions or postings as I would post what I do as a moderator or not. I try and keep my postings as something that I can be judged as either good, bad or indifferent but make no mistake I won't post anything I don't believe in.

Deflection is not answering the question, yet replying with a question pointing away from oneself.
I really don't care to waste more of my time on this.
Rob bets that the PST run rate is better than any other scope in the same price bracket. It must be true.

He offered an opinion, nothing more. You're the one operating on the presumption that he's trying to deflect simply because his opinion doesn't align with yours. And if you think I won't argue with a moderator because of their role... really? Lol...

Nick, I never gave my opinion on the PST and won't give one. Differing opinions is fine. Never had issue with that.
And I don't give a shit if you argue with a mod or not. Your existence means nothing to me.

I don't believe Americans were always this way. I think it explains a lot about the state of our country though.
I agree with the others that said to go with Vortex CS.
If you did that from the start I doubt you would be looking at plan D.

Nick, I never gave my opinion on the PST and won't give one. Differing opinions is fine. Never had issue with that.
And I don't give a shit if you argue with a mod or not. Your existence means nothing to me.

You must be affiliated with Snap-On, because you come off as quite the tool...

Your comments in regards to ownership and never again is enough to relay your opinion without actually doing so... but go ahead and act like you're being objective and not taking sides.

I breathed a sigh of relief when you said it didn't matter if I argued or not, only to make me sad when you said my existence means nothing... lol

If your 3rd scope is screwed up...call Vortex and let them know your issues. They unequivocally have the best customer service I've ever had to utilize. I purchased a 4-16 PST that had some black flakes inside the glass. I tried the well known phone book method (tap the scope on the phone book to dislodge the debris) with no luck. I called Votex and explained the situation I had on a brand new scope.

They emailed me a postage paid return label (while I was still talking to customer service) and advised me to simply box it up and include a small note of what's wrong with it. I proceeded to package it up, include my note and drop it off at UPS on a Monday. That same Friday - 4 days later...UPS was ringing my door bell with a box from Vortex. I opened it up to find a brand new scope which had (2) QC stickers instead of the typical (1)...my guess; a manger or, supervisor double checked it?

No bullshit problems - have you tried this? have you tried that? did you drop it? whatever - send it it to us on your dime...we'll take a look at it when we have time (you read some threads on here of guys waiting weeks or, months before they have their glass back - FUCK THAT NOISE! Meanwhile, Vortex does not jerk off the customer with this type of shit. Whether it's a $150.00 strikefire red dot or, a $2,500.00 razor - they drop what they're doing and take care of you - the paying customer!

I've only had to utilize their customer service this single time. However, with this outstanding experience that I had, I would never hesitate to purchase and/or recommend Vortex to anybody. You'll have your differences of opinions - "their customer service is good because their products are always failing...blah, blah, blah". Well shit if it's man made, it can break - nothing is perfect.

I would rather have the comfort of knowing - if my scope breaks 5 times, they will take care of it in a timely fashion and not jerk me around without paying a single penny vs. my scope is broken - you pay the shipping and insurance to us and we'll take a look at it when we have time. You wait weeks or, (as stated above) months to get the same scope back with the same problems. It's your choice, don't give up on Vortex - they are outstanding!

They back up their VIP Warranty with action not Bullshit

Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

AvsFan:cool:

ETA: My 4-16 PST is flawless and still holding strong after thousands of rounds;)

Last edited:
Great customer service is not a sign of quality issues but a sign of a great company that focuses on the customer!

I had an issue couple of years ago handled perfectly and pst is running strong with hard use by me

I was just making an observation. Not trying to be scornful. Another observation I have made: I have yet to read about somebody's experience with Schmidt's CS...

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because no scope manufacture is perfect, just that it must not happen very often since the topic is rarely brought up. For good reason, they're scopes cost four times as much. I would hope they would be four times as problem free. Again, just an observation/example, not fact. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, customer service is a key feature in purchasing a product but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because no scope manufacture is perfect, just that it must not happen very often since the topic is rarely brought up. For good reason, they're scopes cost four times as much. I would hope they would be four times as problem free. Again, just an observation/example, not fact. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, customer service is a key feature in purchasing a product but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

They break, but the people who typically spend that kind of coin already know that shit just happens and rather than coming to a public forum and talking about it they simply send it off and have it repaired.

OP here,

Looks like "Plan D" won't be necessary. I got scope #3, and it upon preliminary inspection, it seems to be in perfect working order.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It does seem counterintuitive to send a new scope in for repairs, but I think I would have, if #3 scope had an issue. As far as functionality per dollar, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that can beat it (or at least nobody mentioned any similarly featured, similarly priced alternatives).

MD

Last edited:
I must be living under a rock. I'm not aware of any issue with Vortex QC on the PST line.

First off, Vortex is one of those brands that handle their business as good or better than any dealer could, so I always advise going straight to them if you have any issue with their products. That advice has made me look good pretty much anytime it is followed.

Second, my M.O. as a dealer has always been to communicate with the customer and encourage the same with me. If you have any issue with anything we sell, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT even if the warranty claim works flawlessly. I keep data too and I'm not afraid to weed out any bad apples.

Without knowing inside info, my assumption is that the factory(s) that make the PST had lots of practice making the old Viper and Diamondback scopes, which were darn stellar and trouble free (and continue to be to my knowledge). When the very first batch of PSTs arrived they were not "fully baked" yet. So Vortex swooped in and told us to send all of ours back. This was not the cheapest and easiest solution (given the huge pent up demand for this scope at the time!) but it was the right call. Vortex has a long history of making the right call.

Once the PSTs started arriving en masse, I heard the "the 6-24x50 glass is way better than the 4-16x50 glass" grumbling (and vice-versa) and some illumination issues but it seems to me that the PST line has been well sorted out now, with the maybe overall best execution manifested with the little 32mm series (as opposed to the 44mm....).

Seems to me a lot of major manufacturers are setting up shop in the Philippines; sure, money is one factor but I was under the impression they have earned the business due to their ability to make a very solid scope (Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Sightron, (who else is there?) and Sightron and Nikon make/made their own scopes in Japan!)

So I am surprised at what I'm seeing here and getting in emails and PMs. Understand Vortex sells a TON of the PST line and it is rarely in stock at Vortex for long after backorders are filled. It is a very popular scope, a ground breaking scope (much like i expect the new Steiner T5Xi series to be) and it has made for a lot of happy shooters. There is a very large PST scope population out there.

Another thing I'd like to add, all failures are defects but not all defects are failures per se, given the scopes expressed purpose. Examples:

Defects (what I call "out of the box" stuff):

Flickering or scattering of illumination
Black specks on the etched reticle
Gritty side focus or mag ring
Uneven finish

Failures (a function of USE on a RIFLE)

Inability to track or hold zero
Internal breakage upon recoil (no sight picture)
Freezing turrets or mag rings
Spitting seals or losing waterproof integrity

Of course, if you have a "failure" with a new unmounted scope you've got good reason to be unhappy..!!

Just IMHO, you get the idea.

So, if there is an "ongoing trend" for failures of the PST, what the heck is happening? I'm all for honest debate and facts, but I will say such assertions are not something I've been sitting on or keeping under my hat, I promise you.

Scott

Bass Slinger (funny that your name initials are BS). I'm currently undergoing a scope repair on my Schmidt Bender. And I'm going to be one of the few people to send a broken Hensoldt back for service. Service on the SB has been fine so far (Jerry Ricker is quick to respond and keeps you in the loop), Hensoldt won't have a service center for me to even send a scope back to until late July/August. If they get it up and running even.

I have not owned more than 4 scopes sold by a company before one of em broke. Including NF/SB/USO/Hensoldt/Leupold/Vortex/Bushnell.

I was just making an observation. Not trying to be scornful. Another observation I have made: I have yet to read about somebody's experience with Schmidt's CS...

Good one king, you are a clever one. For what reason for the shit talking, I have no idea, but thanks for your input. You must operate so hard that no scope stands a chance against you. Anyways, to repeat myself for a third time, just making observations, not fact. They seem like good scopes but I read/hear a good amount of threads like this one. Thanks to those that can discuss these situations like adults without being rude.

I must be living under a rock. I'm not aware of any issue with Vortex QC on the PST line.

First off, Vortex is one of those brands that handle their business as good or better than any dealer could, so I always advise going straight to them if you have any issue with their products. That advice has made me look good pretty much anytime it is followed.

Second, my M.O. as a dealer has always been to communicate with the customer and encourage the same with me. If you have any issue with anything we sell, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT even if the warranty claim works flawlessly. I keep data too and I'm not afraid to weed out any bad apples.

Without knowing inside info, my assumption is that the factory(s) that make the PST had lots of practice making the old Viper and Diamondback scopes, which were darn stellar and trouble free (and continue to be to my knowledge). When the very first batch of PSTs arrived they were not "fully baked" yet. So Vortex swooped in and told us to send all of ours back. This was not the cheapest and easiest solution (given the huge pent up demand for this scope at the time!) but it was the right call. Vortex has a long history of making the right call.

Once the PSTs started arriving en masse, I heard the "the 6-24x50 glass is way better than the 4-16x50 glass" grumbling (and vice-versa) and some illumination issues but it seems to me that the PST line has been well sorted out now, with the maybe overall best execution manifested with the little 32mm series (as opposed to the 44mm....).

Seems to me a lot of major manufacturers are setting up shop in the Philippines; sure, money is one factor but I was under the impression they have earned the business due to their ability to make a very solid scope (Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Sightron, (who else is there?) and Sightron and Nikon make/made their own scopes in Japan!)

So I am surprised at what I'm seeing here and getting in emails and PMs. Understand Vortex sells a TON of the PST line and it is rarely in stock at Vortex for long after backorders are filled. It is a very popular scope, a ground breaking scope (much like i expect the new Steiner T5Xi series to be) and it has made for a lot of happy shooters. There is a very large PST scope population out there.

Another thing I'd like to add, all failures are defects but not all defects are failures per se, given the scopes expressed purpose. Examples:

Defects (what I call "out of the box" stuff):

Flickering or scattering of illumination
Black specks on the etched reticle
Gritty side focus or mag ring
Uneven finish

Failures (a function of USE on a RIFLE)

Inability to track or hold zero
Internal breakage upon recoil (no sight picture)
Freezing turrets or mag rings
Spitting seals or losing waterproof integrity

Of course, if you have a "failure" with a new unmounted scope you've got good reason to be unhappy..!!

Just IMHO, you get the idea.

So, if there is an "ongoing trend" for failures of the PST, what the heck is happening? I'm all for honest debate and facts, but I will say such assertions are not something I've been sitting on or keeping under my hat, I promise you.

Scott

Well said, Scott. Well said.

It does seem counterintuitive to send a new scope in for repairs
MD

Why? If there was a problem it's the best thing to do. Have the company go over the scope and find and repair the problem. Actually better as the scope is getting a full once over as well as fixing the reported issue. If you unfortunately have any future issues definitely contact Vortex and they will make it right.

It's not glass but there's also Rock Island Armory...

Why? If there was a problem it's the best thing to do. Have the company go over the scope and find and repair the problem. Actually better as the scope is getting a full once over as well as fixing the reported issue. If you unfortunately have any future issues definitely contact Vortex and they will make it right.

I got the "Vortex will make it right" part, but I fundamentally disagree that it is "intuitive" to automatically have faith and loyalty to a company (any company) that has just sent you an obviously defective product not once, but twice. I think most people's *intuition* would be to return the product while they can.

I got the "Vortex will make it right" part, but I fundamentally disagree that it is "intuitive" to automatically have faith and loyalty to a company (any company) that has just sent you an obviously defective product not once, but twice. I think most people's *intuition* would be to return the product while they can.

If you would have sent your first scope back to vortex they would have fixed it and checked to make sure its 100% so there wouldn't have been a second or third scope. That was my point. Not waste time and money returning it to a retailer.

Nomad, just out of curiosity: to what brightness did you set the reticle illumination when you saw all these artefacts?

As far as quality and customer service go: all things mechanical can break and do so occasionally.

I do not have any official statistics on scope reliability that I can share, but I get my hands on a lot of scopes. Not as many as Lowlight, but more than most other people.

I have seen almost everything break and I do not really use them all that hard. By and large, it is just a matter of statistics.

My, by no means statistically significant, "set of the pants" impression is that Vortex PST scopes suffer similar failure rate as other similarly priced scopes. However, there are a LOT of PSTs out there.

There is also a bit of a self-selection happening here: people who buy tactical scopes are a pretty vocal bunch and are to a significant degree a much more internet savvy group than typical hunters. Problems with tactical scopes seem to be reported to a much greater degree than those of other scopes.

ILya

It's like having two consecutive retard babies, (997/2, bcp, infinity) and saying to your wife, let's try one more time and hope for the best. No, you either stop and count your losses or kill them, depending on which side of the world you're on of course. ?

Nomad, just out of curiosity: to what brightness did you set the reticle illumination when you saw all these artefacts?

As far as quality and customer service go: all things mechanical can break and do so occasionally.

I do not have any official statistics on scope reliability that I can share, but I get my hands on a lot of scopes. Not as many as Lowlight, but more than most other people.

I have seen almost everything break and I do not really use them all that hard. By and large, it is just a matter of statistics.

My, by no means statistically significant, "set of the pants" impression is that Vortex PST scopes suffer similar failure rate as other similarly priced scopes. However, there are a LOT of PSTs out there.

There is also a bit of a self-selection happening here: people who buy tactical scopes are a pretty vocal bunch and are to a significant degree a much more internet savvy group than typical hunters. Problems with tactical scopes seem to be reported to a much greater degree than those of other scopes.

ILya

Also, most hunters I know, fit, zero and forget. Scopes of this nature tend to be 'dialled in' a lot, and are very often treated somewhat more harshly, so a higher failure rate wouldn't be too surprising.

Regards

Pete

Oh, I forgot to add: as far as Vortex riflescope go, I do have some mileage with them. To this point I have thoroughly tested three different PST scopes, one HS-T, two Gen 1 Razor HDs and one Gen2 Razor HD. In addition, I have had my hands on a dozen or so more, but did not personally put them through the ringer.

I do expect to test at least one more riflescope from Vortex this year, but it is not going to be a PST. I plan to test the Gen 2 Razor HD 3-18x50.

ILya

Please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you want champagne on a beer budget. Get a refund and then start ratholing away money. Buy once, cry once.

Please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you want champagne on a beer budget. Get a refund and then start ratholing away money. Buy once, cry once.

Hahaha you sound like a fucking magazine ad. What a loser. Any more one liners, PCP? How about, YOLO??? That's fitting for you. Anyways, I'm all for giving a reputable manufacturer, like Vortex, a second chance but 3 chances...? Not too sure about that regardless of how good their CS is. Here's one for your one liner book, PCP, "hurt me once shame on you, hurt me twice shame on me". Haha

I do like the new "Ignore" functionality feature of this version of Snipers Hide.

Hahaha you sound like a fucking magazine ad. What a loser. Any more one liners, PCP? How about, YOLO??? That's fitting for you. Anyways, I'm all for giving a reputable manufacturer, like Vortex, a second chance but 3 chances...? Not too sure about that regardless of how good their CS is. Here's one for your one liner book, PCP, "hurt me once shame on you, hurt me twice shame on me". Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.