• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What ammo to purchase to test four 6.5mm CM barrels from three manufacturers?

DavidAR10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Dallas, Georgia
I have Berger & PRIME 130gr Berger Hybrid at this time.

I will snag the Berger 140gr Berger Hybrid, pronto. Should I also
look at the Copper Creek version? Any HSM?

The barrels:

A) Ballistic Advantage 22' OEM complete upper & 24" plain jane barrel
B) Proof Research Carbon 24"
C) Draco Straight Jacket 22"

I will post pics of builds and being at the line on a 550 acre farm. I will be throwing in
an ARMALITE AR-10 B Series with a Bartlein blank finished by Craddock with ARMALITE barrel extension &
ARMALITE bolt supplied by me.

LABRadar, Leupold RX-1300i, and Caldwell LR1 will be used.

Handloads will be with GM210M CCI 450 primers, Starline Brass SR 0.080" flash hole,
Berger 130 & 140 Hybrid pills mixed with Hodgdon H4895, Varget and H4350.

Should be up on the farm in 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks for ammo manufacturer and any other input.

Codiekfx400, thanks for primer correction.

Last edited:
hornady 140 and 147 eldx have shot real good for me, even their 140 amax. the fed 130 & 140 not as good. 24" 1-8 barrel. haven't tried the ammo you listed so interested in the results.

Reactions: VP47PPC
For the handloads those 210M primers will not fit in the starline sp brass. I would also omit the H4895 it’s probably too fast to get you where you want to be.

For the handloads those 210M primers will not fit in the starline sp brass. I would also omit the H4895 it’s probably too fast to get you where you want to be.

Thank you. That was due to lingering effects from loading for my three ARMALITE AR-10s. 1000pcs of IMI 7.62 Match brass with another 2000pcs still on the shelf.

I meant CCI 450. I also have BR-4 coming in for the 6.5CM.

H4895 seems to hang very well with Varget in the extra 10-12gr pills with my friend's JP gasser.

Again, thanks for the correction.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Federal Gold Medal Berger.

Hornady Match ELD-M 140 and 147.

Hornady American Gunner gets really good reviews.

Reactions: VP47PPC
Berger 130 Vld Hunting, and the Berger 130 Target both are absolute incredible in my 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 Eld-M shoots almost as good for cheaper. It just seems that nomatter what charge of h4350 i put behind a 130 grain berger, they bughole. I run those almost touching the lands.

Watching with interest. Both as a Armalite B model owner and relatively new to the PLR world as well as the 6.5 cartridge. So much more to learn. Would love to one day tinker with one of my B models.

Another plug for Hornady factory match. The 147gr stuff shoots .6-.7" 10-shot groups in my bolt gun. Accuracy and ES on par with hand loads, just a bit slower.

What's the goal here?

You are likely to find out which load works best with which barrel, but you won't find out what works best.

Last edited:
Hornady Match ELD-M 140 ammo gets me sub 1/2 MOA out of two different rifles.

Another vote for Horn. AG 140gr... very reasonably priced factory ammo. Not the highest BC, but...

And it can hold its own, accuracy wise.

Reactions: shax2lex