• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bourbon is better/sweeter than Makers Mark?

Um, if you can’t taste a HUGE difference between Maker’s and regular JB, you probably couldn’t tell the difference between either of those and kerosene either.
You should have tried Makers 20 years ago, it was exceptional back then, now, not so much.

You should have tried Makers 20 years ago, it was exceptional back then, now, not so much.
There is a reason for that and I had a chuckle at your "it was best the first few years".

The first bottling was in 1958, it wouldn't have even been the typical 6 years they are now.

In the early 2000's there was still a lot of "glut era" whiskey available, even things with 6 year age statements could and did have whiskey that was much older than that in it unless listed as bottled in bond. It is also why things such as Hirsch 16 and the entire original PVW line even existed.

Another factor is even the trees used to make barrels are younger. Not everything old was better, but it certainly was different.

Really surprised they got approval for that label. It is not Bourbon, it is Bourbon mixed with cherry brandy.
It’s not “mixed” per se, it’s aged in the same barrel that once had cherry brandy in them, is what was explained to us, it’s still good shit though!

It’s not “mixed” per se, it’s aged in the same barrel that once had cherry brandy in them, is what was explained to us, it’s still good shit though!
Says on the label in too small text "Bourbon with Cherry brandy", cool that it tastes good, but Bourbon it is not.
Had it been just a used barrel it would have fallen into the category of a "Flavored Whiskey" like Bird Dog. The TTB is pretty strict on classifications and labels. I could have seen them saying no due to the font being small and misleading.

Says on the label in too small text "Bourbon with Cherry brandy", cool that it tastes good, but Bourbon it is not.
Had it been just a used barrel it would have fallen into the category of a "Flavored Whiskey" like Bird Dog. The TTB is pretty strict on classifications and labels. I could have seen them saying no due to the font being small and misleading.
You seem to be light years ahead of me on the education of spirits, so I’ll take your word for it, thanks for the lesson.

Reactions: 6.5SH
You seem to be light years ahead of me on the education of spirits, so I’ll take your word for it, thanks for the lesson.
All good, enjoy what you like and F anyone that says otherwise. Just be aware that sales people gonna sell and say something is the ne plus ultra, pay us $60 for our barely legal booze and the truth of the matter is right there on the label if you know how to decipher it.

Reactions: JbBooks
Blantons was great at $35 a bottle, I cannot even find it today at a reasonable price, anyone have a source, I saw some at $69 but it was sold out.
Is going to be hit and miss and it certainly isn't worth the ludicrous prices it can hit on the secondary market.

Ask your local shops when they get their allocations.
Failing that look for the other labels that use the same formula (mash bill #2):
Ancient Age
Elmer T. Lee
Rockhill Farm
Hancock Ridge

Perhaps. I started drinking it about 15 years ago. It still tastes the same to me as then. It tastes waaaay better than Beam, though. It's my "bargain" go-to for a daily drink. I only drink bourbon neat or with a couple of ice cubes and Beam tastes terrible to me. I have a bottle of it and I can't see ever using it for anything but for guests who want a mixed drink. I agree the Beam Black is much better than the regular. We have limited selection here of premiums, but when I can get them, I enjoy EH Taylor, Booker's, Wathen's, and Blanton's. I hardly ever see anything higher up the food chain available here, so I don't get the opportunity. Bulleit and Buffalo Trace/Eagle Rare are also good, available, and I keep them in stock for a change of pace, but would choose Maker's over them if I had to only pick one.

Is going to be hit and miss and it certainly isn't worth the ludicrous prices it can hit on the secondary market.

Failing that look for the other labels that use the same formula (mash bill #2):
Ancient Age
Elmer T. Lee
Rockhill Farm
Hancock Ridge

**Hancock’s Reserve

I haven’t had it but have heard the Benchmark Single Barrel is a good Blanton’s replacement

Reactions: Soulezoo

Ancient Age
Elmer T. Lee
Rockhill Farm
Hancock Ridge
That's Hancock's Reserve, but don't mind me, I am a snob. All of those except AA, which is near Old Crow quality, are highly allocated and harder to come by than Blanton's. You forgot Stagg in that list too.

Attachments

• 20220222_190904.jpg
    20220222_190904.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 29
Oh come on AA isn't THAT bad. :ROFLMAO: A touch weak though perhaps.

Really depends on locale as to where they decide to send stuff. AA, ETL, Rockhill you can't find here but Hancock you could. Next state over had the other three but not Hancock. The stupid thing is it is the same distribution company in both states...

Oh come on AA isn't THAT bad. :ROFLMAO: A touch weak though perhaps.

Really depends on locale as to where they decide to send stuff. AA, ETL, Rockhill you can't find here but Hancock you could. Next state over had the other three but not Hancock. The stupid thing is it is the same distribution company in both states...
The old ad for AA went something like "Ancient Age is better because it's 86 proof!" 🤪🙄🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5SH
The old ad for AA went something like "Ancient Age is better because it's 86 proof!" 🤪🙄🤣🤣🤣
JD had one like that when it was still 90. The various trends in whiskey are endlessly interesting.

The only truism I've found is that if you really really like something buy a bunch of it right then, as whatever THAT IS won't be the same for long.
The only caveat I'll put on that is you need to have tried a variety of things and know in a broad sense what your preferences are.

There is very little Irish or Canadian whiskey that I like. I prefer rye over wheat for a flavor grain but enjoy both.

My girl just got me a bottle of widow Jane 10 year, and I think it's my new favourite bourbon. Definitely sweet with no bright alcohol aftertaste.

Ancient Age
Elmer T. Lee
Rockhill Farm
Hancock Ridge

Ancient Age was part of my learning experience in the college years, right along with Everclear, Mescal, cheap Boy's Town tequila and beer bongs.

Coming from a Marine dad and hard drinking uncles, I have that gene that protects me from hangovers. Not with AA. That rotgut gave me one of the worst skull splitting hangovers of my life. Never again will it pass my lips.