• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What do I really lose by getting a DPMS 308L

Justinsaneok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Ok
What do I really lose by getting a DPMS 308L over a 24" RL.308?
I plan on hunting 3 gunning and doing some long range stuff. I think it would be a good compromise. What would I be losing in bullet stability and velocity between the .308B 308L and the 24"?
I haven't came up with any results in a search for this info. Here or anywhere else. Help would be appreciated?

Re: What do I really lose by getting a DPMS 308L

24" gas guns are trying to be something they're not.
Form follows function. If 'long range stuff' dictates that you NEED an extra 60-80fps more than you need the benefit of portability in hunting/ 3 gun then that is your deciding factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Form follows function.</div></div>
+1 Recited that like a mantra for years.
OFIS has a point. It's give and take. Longer barrel allows higher velocity and benefits long range shooting but will limit portability which is important in hunting/tactical/3-gun. One gun will never be the best all around.

mine 24' is a pig, no way would i take it hunting (pdogs OK) for 3 gun and hunting i would go with 18" bull

The DPMS 18" sass I had was extremely accurate and easy to shoot off a bench but too heavy and not enough velocity for long range work. I sold it and built a 16" 308 AR and am much happier.

Any one want to talk about what kind of performance they are getting out of their 18" guns at various yardage?

The best I ever shot at a 600 yrd FTR match was with my 18" bull .308. I ran 155 smk at about 2630 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The best I ever shot at a 600 yrd FTR match was with my 18" bull .308. I ran 155 smk at about 2630 fps. </div></div>
What kind of powder were you pushing the match kings with ?

My 18" accuracy load was a 178amax at around <2450fps and it was stupid accurate at 5-600 yards but after that it became anybody's guess. I couldn't get much more than 2500fps out of that barrel either. That's why I sold it and built a 16". I get the same velocity and accuracy when I do my part but in a lighter smaller package. I can shoot it offhand pretty well too.

On the same topic, I have the dpms lr308 and love it but am now wondering how much better it might suit my needs if it had a shorter barrel. We have a 1000yard range nearby but I'm finding myself focusing on 500 and less especially around our house.

I want to put a brake on it and eventually have a can for it too.

The question is, if I wanted a Smith to cut the barrel down to 16 or 18 (2 inches more with brake right?) What problems might I run into? Need a different gas block or anything else? I keep hearing 18" as the magic number for powder burn. Can the brake be included in that 18"?

Not freaking out about my 24" choice but a lighter/more mobile setup seems nice.

Thanks in advance

I got a great deal on a 24" bull LR-308 that had been lightly worked over by GAP. A little later I supplemented it with a 16" AP4 upper. The 24" weighs a ton but is very accurate, around 3/4 MOA. The 16" is light and handy and good for an honest 1.25-.1.5 MOA out to 600 yards. Between the 2 of them there isn't much I can't do with it.

My bro in law just picked up a DPMS LR308 of sorts, wanna say it has a 16 inch barrel. We have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but probably this weekend.

Looking forward to getting some crono data and seeing how some of my reloads fair out of it

should breath fire at least, will be interesting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the same topic, I have the dpms lr308 and love it but am now wondering how much better it might suit my needs if it had a shorter barrel. We have a 1000yard range nearby but I'm finding myself focusing on 500 and less especially around our house.

The question is, if I wanted a Smith to cut the barrel down to 16 or 18 (2 inches more with brake right?) What problems might I run into? Need a different gas block or anything else? I keep hearing 18" as the magic number for powder burn. Can the brake be included in that 18"?

Not freaking out about my 24" choice but a lighter/more mobile setup seems nice.

Thanks in advance </div></div>

If you want to go 16-18 id get a new barrel block and shorter gas tube. Or just get an upper.

Your 24" upper has a rifle gas system which is not suiter for 16" barrel.

Looks like I'll be having a hard time finding any LR .308 right now . Seems they are few available. I want a damn forward assist and dustcover.Damnit

Whats the deal with these rifle not extracting/ejecting brass??? Like the high speed camera footage on youtube...

I was looking at a Bushmaster 308 ORC for a good battle rifle setup, but dealt with first hand DMPS FTE problems. Does ORC correct this with the mid-length gas setup?

Well LR 308 AP4 is on the way. All I could find.

Lets talk mags for a sec. What have you guys found to be better, DPMS or PMAGS?

PMAGS are better. I didn't have a problem with my DPMS but my friend did with his LR30824".

The 24" is a heavy SOB but is great for prone/bench shooting and is accurate. If your running and gunning you dont want a 24" P-Mags are the way to go and pretty much solve any issues with feeding, and they are much cheaper than the DPMS mags. The stock trigger sucks, its a small pin .154 so just about any aftermarket trigger will fit, have fun and enjoy.

Pmags are the way to go/ and solved 99% of my FTF issues

RockRiver 2 stage trigger is a cheap upgrade

Have both slick side upper & forward assist upper / forward assist is useless & never used , but the dust cover is, and they do look cool (just not a deal breaker)

I have the .308L and like it. It shoots the Remington 150gr Powershocks at 1.5 moa and the Federal Fusion 165g at just under moa. I've only put about 80 rounds of hunting ammo through it, but so far so good. It's light, and carry's easy through the woods. I put a Magpul CTR on it fits me quite nice and I like the locking lever. Has a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 with some Burris XTR XX-High rings that put the scope right at eye level for me, and easy access to the charging handle. .308B and .308 24" were too heavy for me for hunting.

I also have the 24. Very please with accuracy, but it is a load if you have to schlep it any distance. If you put a new trigger in it, spend the extra few bucks and install it with anti-walk pins. The extra monkey-motion from the .308 caused my trigger pin to creep out, and damn thing shifted into chinese overdrive. Never had a 223 gun do that to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the same topic, I have the dpms lr308 and love it but am now wondering how much better it might suit my needs if it had a shorter barrel. We have a 1000yard range nearby but I'm finding myself focusing on 500 and less especially around our house.

Thanks in advance </div></div>

If you want to go 16-18 id get a new barrel block and shorter gas tube. Or just get an upper.

Your 24" upper has a rifle gas system which is not suiter for 16" barrel. </div></div>

Did some research and having Smith chop to 18 and putting a break. No desire to go to 16 and the rifle length will work fine with the 18. Will take a couple Weeks then I'll post a report. Bull barrel at 18 oughta be ridiculously stiff and feel like this gun will really suit my wants better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did some research and having Smith chop to 18 and putting a break. No desire to go to 16 and the rifle length will work fine with the 18. Will take a couple Weeks then I'll post a report. Bull barrel at 18 oughta be ridiculously stiff and feel like this gun will really suit my wants better </div></div>

This didn't work so well when I sold this upper... Proceed with caution.

Undergassed AR-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did some research and having Smith chop to 18 and putting a break. No desire to go to 16 and the rifle length will work fine with the 18. Will take a couple Weeks then I'll post a report. Bull barrel at 18 oughta be ridiculously stiff and feel like this gun will really suit my wants better </div></div>

This didn't work so well when I sold this upper... Proceed with caution.

Undergassed AR-10 </div></div>

Sound like it end ok
smile.gif

Mod everything!

I have a DPMS SASS in the 308 version. Gun shoots well to 550-600 with 178 vmaxs. But up here ( 5500 feet) we get a nice boost for FPS for the longer stuff. I am not in the WOW factor for the gun, but then again for a box stock gun it gets the job done and then some.. Have not shot it in a few weeks , working out the details for my new 9 inch suppressed 3 rnd/ semi in 300 black out.. LOL

The new powders due lend them selves to producing more velocity in shorter barrels. How much gain vs loss. not enough to worry about for 500-600.. BTW my gun in the 18 inch version is still a brick!!!

Since the smith can't cut etc and brake my gun for a couple weeks now... I will of course obssess over cutting to 20 or all the way to 18... 18+ brake means 20ish and it'd be nice to be significantly shorter than the current 24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lapuaLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the deal with these rifle not extracting/ejecting brass??? Like the high speed camera footage on youtube...
</div></div>

^this

Finally got to shoot my brother inlaws lr .308 16" barrel. Brand new, seemed to shoot fine at first, got one jam where it did not fully extract a fired case. Then went solid for several rounds. Then had a few back to back jams. With different mag's and different ammo.

So like someone said, maybe the spring is off? Just needs broken in more?

on side note, man does this thing ding up the case mouths when it ejects them
smirk.gif

I have the Oracle, it shoots MOA. The furthest I've been able to take it out to is 400 so far. I'm getting 2650 out of the 175 SMK and Varget. Very mobile and versatile.

AP4 Is on the way. I was hung up on a forward assist and there (to me) seemed there was something weird about not having one. Ap4 was all I could find without a serious wait. Narrowed the search down to one. So I'll do some barrel homework and stretch it out at a later date. Wait a minute how did I end up with a carbine again?

I have the DPMS oracle 308 with 16 inch barrell and it did the exact same thing. Bought a defender d ring from gun shop, it's a little piece of rubber that goes over the ejector spring. Haven't had a jam since using p mags or DPMS mags.

Dropping it off today... the picture shows just an approximate marking. 6 inches coming off the barrel (from 24 to 18) and then the JP Brake is going on too... why am i nervous? ha

ChopComing-688x917.jpg

I dont know what your expectations are for weight reduction, however, a revealing comparison would be the LR-308 vs the LR-308B.

There is a 1.55lb difference between the two models based on published DPMS weights. The LR-308B is an 18" carbine gas system, whereas the LR-308 is a 24" rifle length system. The barrel length difference, as well as the difference in handguard lengths make up about 1.55lbs. I suspect you will realize a much smaller weight loss than this.

If you really wanna save weight, and keep decent muzzle velocity, your best bet is to opt for a 20" barrel length, and have the barrel sent off to be reprofiled from .983 to about .750" under the handguard.

I went this route(bought a 20" HBAR and had it reprofiled to .750" under the guards), and ended up with a rifle that weighs 8lbs, 4oz. This is with a Troy TRX handguard as well. The rifle is sooo well balanced, that it feels lighter than it actually is.

Hope it all works out for you.

If i could do it over, i never would have chopped my 24" barrel. I would have saved it for 600yard F-class or highpower competitions...live and learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">512,

I dont know what your expectations are for weight reduction, however, a revealing comparison would be the LR-308 vs the LR-308B.

There is a 1.55lb difference between the two models based on published DPMS weights. The LR-308B is an 18" carbine gas system, whereas the LR-308 is a 24" rifle length system. The barrel length difference, as well as the difference in handguard lengths make up about 1.55lbs. I suspect you will realize a much smaller weight loss than this.

If you really wanna save weight, and keep decent muzzle velocity, your best bet is to opt for a 20" barrel length, and have the barrel sent off to be reprofiled from .983 to about .750" under the handguard.

I went this route(bought a 20" HBAR and had it reprofiled to .750" under the guards), and ended up with a rifle that weighs 8lbs, 4oz. This is with a Troy TRX handguard as well. The rifle is sooo well balanced, that it feels lighter than it actually is.

Hope it all works out for you.

If i could do it over, i never would have chopped my 24" barrel. I would have saved it for 600yard F-class or highpower competitions...live and learn. </div></div>

no doubt i may end up regretting it but im fairly certain im going to be happier with it. more than the weight savings, im looking to make it easier to manuever. on our property theres no shots past 500 id be taking and we're swamped with thick brush. we have a 1000 yard range close by but so far ive found myself enjoying 500 and < mostly. i like moving from the 100 to 250 to 500 distances and back etc quickly more so than focusing on "the long one". i respect the skill and requirements needed for distance shooting but feel like this 308 will be better suited for me with the chop and brake.

understand about the contour. interested to see how accurate and how well at distance a 18" bull will do though since it should be stiff and balanced harmonics just asking me to do my part.

time will tell!