• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What does it mean to "time" a muzzle brake?

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
Maybe I am missing the point on this one, but, what does it mean to time a muzzle brake. I am asking because I see there are a lot of removable brakes for sale on the market. However, when you go to install a m/b the machine shop charges you to time the brake. I was wondering what exactly they are doing to "time" the brake.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: What does it mean to "time" a muzzle brake?

if you have a brake that is non symmetrical, you want the ports in a certain position. The function is to have the brake's and muzzle's shoulders meet when the ports are in the desired location (properly "timed").
EX:
30637d1269209626-m700-muzzle-brake-od-question-dsc00336.jpg

In this case it doesn't really matter as the ports are symmetrical and 360 degrees.
p_927151243_2.jpg

when you screw on a muzzle brake you want the side ports to be as level as possible. And if there are top ports, you want it to be vertical.

to do this you have to screw the brake on and see how far you are off. When i installed mine i was a little less than 1/4 turn till my top ports were perfect.

you have to take a little of the back of the brake (a smith will use a lathe), so when you tighten the brake all the way down then everything lines up

now a brake like the Vais, does not matter since there are ports all the way around

muzzlebaw.jpg

but with this one, you wouldnt want one of the ports canted upward
8515d1334719053-muzzle-brakes-dont-blow-off-timing2.jpg

justinbaker
LOL, Almost duplicate responses at the same time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">justinbaker
LOL, Almost duplicate responses at the same time! </div></div>

damn beat by 8 seconds

shoulda said screw the spell check
grin.gif

It's nice to have it match up perfectly by being machined for the exact fit. Both of our 260 rifles have two brakes, one has holes all the way around that we use most often on the bench and the other is a Ross brake with side and top ports that is used when laying on the ground and not wanting a dust storm every time it goes off. The Ross is usually "timed" and even though I have a lathe I just used a small rubber O-ring that slips over the threads and lets me tighten up the Ross brake until it lines up and is snug against the O-ring. Others have used a "crush" washer to do the same thing.

Mine has been on for the past 3 months and numerous practice sessions and it's not moved. Some might not like the "look" and the small gap between the barrel and brake but I've never cared about looks, it can be ugly as hell but if it performs then all is good. Just gives the others another thing to shake their head about.

Just something you might try until you get time to get the barrel/brake to a smith to make it all fit nice and purdy.

Topstrap

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I needed to know.

thanks again,
Rob

Has anyone used the VIAS brake and how does it perform?

thanks,
Rob

Buddy tried one on his 260, thought the Ross and Harrell's performed better and for far less money. We have two Harrell's and really like them, we can switch between them and our Ross brakes with no POI change.

http://www.harrellsprec.com/muzzle_breaks.html

Can't hardly beat the price either.

Topstrap

I appreciate your input. It isn't often that someone recommends a cheaper product.

thanks for adding it to the post.