• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What is the benefit of an "ultra short" scope

grizzlestomp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have to decide on a scope for my new GAP 6.5 SAUM.

I have noticed that a good number of "ultra short" scopes being released on the market are as heavy, or heavier, than similar full-length scopes. And based on my (very limited) understanding of how scopes work, it seems ultra short models usually require more complex lens systems and may be more prone to unforgiving eye boxes and parrallax adjustment. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I am certainly no expert.

What exactly is the benefit to an "ultra short" scope if it is as heavy or heavier and has optics and mechanics the same (or worse) than their full-length counterparts. Is it just aethetics?

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand.

I believe it is aesthetically advantageous. But I could also see them being beneficial for monolithic rail systems and night vision attachments.

My 3-20x50 Ultra Short S&B if 8 punches lighter than my 3-20x50 full size scope.
The Ultra scopes have the new mechanics in them, they are just newer and improved.

I have found this "ultra short" movement interesting, and overall I like it. Guess the first one I recall is the Bushnell HDMR.

I originally liked them for rail room on my SRS Covert. After using a 5-20US though on both the SRS, a 20" R700 SPS, and a 16" AR, having all of the weight in a compact package and farther back makes the rifle feel a little better when getting on target. It is hard to explain or it could be in my head, but I can't wait for more "budget" ultra shorts like the Vudu.

Outside of the aesthetics there is real value in short rifles like the Coverts. I want to say last year there was a thread on the old hide site where a DTA Covert owner (it might have been Covertnoob) was having issues with longer scopes getting gunk or something on the front objective because the end of the scope was so close to the end of the barrel.

I also like them for AR's and while the pic below is from two of my large frame AR's the top has the S&B Ultra Short 5-20 while the bottom at the time had a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 you can still get an idea.

x8gDb03.jpg

I understand and appreciate that the ultrashort models represent the latest and greatest from certain manufacturers. For example, I would prefer the S&B Ultrashort 3-20 over the pmii in large part because I have heard the turrets are a big improvement and they cut DOWN on weight. And I see the benefit for certain AR platforms.

It is just speculation at this point, but I would assume that some manufacturers will make sacrifices to cut down significantly on overall length just to jump on this trend.

As an example, I would love a March 3-24x52 that was two inches longer at the same weight, but had better eye relief, parallax adjustment, and depth of field.

I would love a S&B Ultrashort 3-20, a Kahles 318i, or a ZCO420 that was two inches longer and $500 cheaper (assuming that an ultrashort scope is more expensive to manufacture).

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the new models being released this year do more than make the scopes shorter, but also make them lighter and avoid sacrificing optics or mechanics for aesthetics. I would guess that is hard to do and expensive and takes a lot of hard work and research.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the new models being released this year do more than make the scopes shorter, but also make them lighter and avoid sacrificing optics or mechanics for aesthetics. I would guess that is hard to do and expensive and takes a lot of hard work and research.

While I agree, I am all for them at least toying with the idea of shorter optics. If some of the new optics such as the vudu end up being duds, it is still a great step forward as they can learn from mistakes and create better short optics. What we could end up seeing is optics like the NF 7-35 losing 1.5"-2" in overall length in the next generation. I would LOVE a 7-35 on my SRS if it weren't literally hanging over the muzzle. lol

All show no go --- Ultra fast scopes has inferior optics
Not sure if you meant "Ultra Short" instead of "Ultra fast" but assuming you meant Ultra Short I would say you clearly haven't looked through Schmidt & Benders's Ultra Short scopes, they are anything but "inferior" optics.

Reactions: 5RWill
Very good question. The 5x20 with illumination works well with a PVS-30. This is my first S&B and now understand why the subject matter experts on the site hold them as a true bench mark. For my application, shooting in a confined space. Eight foot x eight foot gets pretty tight if shooting from the prone position. Yes its got some weight to it but as another person pointed out. It just feels right. Solid
0126182128_resized.jpg