• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is with all the 419 muzzle brakes?

DavidBoren

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2021
Portland, Oregon
I scrolled through all ~62 pages of the Show'Em thread, and holy crap a lot of you have gravitated towards this particular 419 muzzle brake... it's freaking everywhere.

Is it really just that effective at reducing recoil that there are no other reasonable options?

Is it simply built with particular class rules in mind?

Does it "cup the balls, stroke the shaft, work the pipe, and swallow the gravy"? (Tropic Thunder quote)

I switched for a couple of reasons. One was cost, an adapter is 1/2 the cost of a dead air brake. I can use one brake if I choose for all my rifles. Cleaning is way easier just unscrew it and in the carbon remover it goes. But the biggest plus is not having to time any brakes. My OCD kicks in and I’ll spend more time then I should timing one.

Reactions: NewsShooter
It simply works. I have one on each, .223, 6.5 and .308.
Of course the benefit is chasing the bench rester away! I just put it on the 6.5 and noticed the guy next to me left rather quickly when I started. I commented it work rather well and his reply was "works great to keep me away"
I get a chuckle as some of those guys act as if the range belongs to them.

It’s a really good brake with a very nice timing system. Theoretically you can have one break for many barrels and get a few adapters to leave on.

They just work and are commonly available, especially on the used market. Probably no significant difference between them and the APA brakes.

There’s better brakes out there for outright recoil reduction but they are just a great company, with great products, great customer service, that are always trying new things and support the community and in turn people support them. They also have the best mounting system if you want to run multiple muzzle devices.

1st brake I tried

Easy to install and very well made

Works incredibly well ...no need to try anything else.

Price is right, they are very well built, they work, they are easy to install/time/clean, fit and finish is ....fabulous - beyond reasonable expectations. They are loud for the guy sitting 2 doors down and he will hate you. But the damn things work and are easy.

Sorry for the noise but it *is* a shooting range. Wear hearing protection and deal with it.

VooDoo

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
It simply works. I have one on each, .223, 6.5 and .308.
Of course the benefit is chasing the bench rester away! I just put it on the 6.5 and noticed the guy next to me left rather quickly when I started. I commented it work rather well and his reply was "works great to keep me away"
I get a chuckle as some of those guys act as if the range belongs to them.
Yeah but I hate that shit. I do try to be respectful and I get that I don't own the range, but not everyone agrees...

Fortunately, I found an answer.

Last time some fucker propped up his brake mounted .300WinMag and blew my fucking hat off and make me jerk (flinch isn't the word) I got pissed and returned the favor.

I had my HTI with Elite Iron brake behind the seat. Sure, it's suppressed but why bother, right?

That one blew all his shit off the table and after he managed to gather all his shit up, HE left. I put it away and went back to business. Two can play that game. The ear pro he sourced from the poors simply wasn't efficient and he spent half the down time with his finger digging in his right ear and his chin on his chest and head cocked sideways sorta like a flabbergasted dog. He got to fire one round, I'm thinking he figured I'd leave. He could have setup anywhere, there were only five people on a line of like 30 positions. But he HAD to be next to me --like gay close.

When I've got loud shit I try my best to either pick a more isolated spot or wait until a few folks leave. IMO it's all about who is there first and being respectful of them, then it's your turn.

Only brake I ever plan on using are those forward facing linear brakes, because I refuse to be "that guy"...

Had an AR-50 once upon a time... never fired it at a public range when anyone else was there. Not even once.

Yeah but I hate that shit. I do try to be respectful and I get that I don't own the range, but not everyone agrees...

Fortunately, I found an answer.

Last time some fucker propped up his brake mounted .300WinMag and blew my fucking hat off and make me jerk (flinch isn't the word) I got pissed and returned the favor.

I had my HTI with Elite Iron brake behind the seat. Sure, it's suppressed but why bother, right?

That one blew all his shit off the table and after he managed to gather all his shit up, HE left. I put it away and went back to business. Two can play that game. The ear pro he sourced from the poors simply wasn't efficient and he spent half the down time with his finger digging in his right ear and his chin on his chest and head cocked sideways sorta like a flabbergasted dog. He got to fire one round, I'm thinking he figured I'd leave. He could have setup anywhere, there were only five people on a line of like 30 positions. But he HAD to be next to me --like gay close.

When I've got loud shit I try my best to either pick a more isolated spot or wait until a few folks leave. IMO it's all about who is there first and being respectful of them, then it's your turn.
If you knew the crowd you wouldn't be triggered. Public range, only spot available that I had visual on the dueling tree.

I think the Sidewinder is uber effective on a .338LM and also loud as all get out! I've let other folks shoot that rifle and I don't care where I stand it always thumps me! My main reason for choosing the 419 system is it makes moving a can from host to host a breeze.

I think the Sidewinder is uber effective on a .338LM and also loud as all get out! I've let other folks shoot the rifle and I don't care where I stand it always thumps me! My main reason for chowing the 419 system is it makes moving a can from host to host a breeze.
I’ll be honest, directly behind the rifle isn’t bad at all on my 7mm.
I had someone else shooting my rifle and I was a bit surprised at how nasty it is.
:oops:
5A0CECE7-E2BB-4C91-B653-43BD4216E871.jpeg

Another 30 grains of powder and this should make a nice ruckus.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I’ll be honest, directly behind the rifle isn’t bad at all on my 7mm.
I had someone else shooting my rifle and I was a bit surprised at how nasty it is.
:oops:
View attachment 7585121
Another 30 grains of powder and this should make a nice ruckus.
100% right. Not bad at all running the gun but the first time I let another shooter try it I was off the left. No bueno! Second time I was 6 feet behind the gun and it still rung my bell! It's like there is a cone of silence when you're shooting. 104grs of Ramshot LRT makes other folks run for their vehicles!

I picked one up just due to how easy it is to use interchangeably with the suppressor system. Same style adapters, and the suppressor can go with any of them.

They are miserable to be straight behind, loud as shit.

That's my experience too. Outdoors, I find it loud. Indoors, it's unbearable. I shoot indoors quite a bit (100Y). Even with plugs and muffs, it will leave your ears ringing.

Both my shooting partner and I now use Heathen brakes.

Last edited:
Maybe your just sensitive 🤔
I definitely am. I tried to like it but I got two shots off before I felt it in the back of my head and for two days after.

The heathen is the only brake I’m actually interested in trying anymore. A national competitor guy I’ve shot with has a similar issue though but migraines and he uses the heathen to mitigate it.

Reactions: kthomas
I definitely am. I tried to like it but I got two shots off before I felt it in the back of my head and for two days after.
The heathen is the only brake I’m actually interested in trying anymore.
It’s noticeably milder at the shooter.
I can send to mine if you want to try it.
On my 260(which isn’t very heavy) it’s a dream to shoot.

I tried looking for a 5 port for my 338 but nobody in the states had one it seems.

It’s noticeably milder at the shooter.
I can send to mine if you want to try it.
On my 260(which isn’t very heavy) it’s a dream to shoot.

I tried looking for a 5 port for my 338 but nobody in the states had one it seems.
I appreciate it but Im just going to stick with my cans. I guess I should have said, the only brake that I dont have an active disinterest in lol
Im not gonna take my cans off but Id pull the trigger on someones rifle to see if I can bear it. But now I feel like Im juts bitching about the noise like a bad neighbor.

They're good at reducing recoil, but I prefer the Insite Arms Heathen brakes. I think the Heathen is a more refined design.

To each their own though. Lots of great self timing breaks out there, with the Area 419 stuff being some of them.

I tried one on my 280AI and it was just too loud. Recoil reduction was amazing. I'd say close to 50% but the noise to me wasn't worth it.

A few weeks ago I was at the range and a guy was two benches over with a moveable divider between me and the first bench. After his second shot with no clue what cartridge he was shooting I leaned back and asked how he liked his 419 hellfire brake and he said how'd you know that.