• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Thinking some military sniper input on boots would be great.

My bug out boots are Danner Gortex. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They are waterproof and can be used on a 20 mile hike out of the box.

Now I am looking for a pair of sneakers that I can keep in my pack. I am thinking New Balance since they have tread on the sides. This will be used when my feat are sore/ torn up from boots. I can also walk/ ride bike/ do other things alot further in sneakers. I am not worried about twisting my ankle as this has only happened once in my life. And I hike/ do alot of stuff in sneakers. Any ideas on a better sneaker than new balance? Would prefer it to be gortex water proof.

Any ideas on advantages of hiking shoes/ boots? I have a set but they dont stand out to be that much better than the Danners. Who makes the best water proof comfortable hiking boots/ shoes out there?

Other options that I might be missing?

What shoes are you wearing/ keeping in your pack if you have to bug out?

Considering snake boots since they will keep me alive.
http://www.danner.com/boots/pronghor...ake-boots.html

What made you pick them over Danners? I am hooked on Danners b.c I tried Matterhorn, Corcoran, 511, Belleville, etc and Danner is ten zillion times as comfortable. I guess I am looking for the Danner of hiking boots. What about a water proof version? I would like a set that I can wear all year long.

I think for sneakers im going to go with the New Balance Gortex.
http://www.newbalance.com/emails/gore-tex/

What do you guys think about the Danner Hiking boots?
These look really decent. What advantages other than support do hiking shoes offer over regular boots and sneakers?

http://www.danner.com/boots/danner-combat-hiker-military-boots.html

http://www.danner.com/boots/danner-ich-7-olive.html

Re: What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

Merrell Sawtooth and Blackhawks

I really don't know much about boots but I am sure that guys here will have some good input. However, from your detailed post I believe that no matter what anyone says you are hooked on Danner
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I am looking for a pair of sneakers that I can keep in my pack...........This will be used when my feat are sore/ torn up from boots. </div></div>

Good, properly fitted boots will not "tear up your feet".

Sneakers will fall apart anywhere other than urban pavement.

Goretex Danners are hot and suck on road marches.

Having said that.....I wear New Balance running shoes for running and Danner Ft. Lewis boots when I am working in the winter.

During the warm months I have been wearing OTB Jungle Lites or Desert Lites at work (depending on uniform requirements).

http://www.8541tactical.com/desert_lite_review.php

In civvies I wear Merrell mid-top hikers. They don't look out of place with cargo shorts and they are fine with khakis or jeans. If I need to I can go cross-country with them, but I would much rather have a set of quality high top boots on when I am in brush.

If I had to "bug out" I am going to go home and correctly gear up, otherwise the duration of my initial trip will be over urban terrain.

Well I'm a bit differant, I don't wear "tactical boot", I don't wear sneakers. Haven't worn army boots since I retired.

I've worn these Durango's for about 15 years. They have a few miles on them, leak a bit, but they fit like a glove. Comfortable but are getting a bit thin in spots.

When they say "comfortable as an old shoe" they were talking about my boots.

Boots.JPG

Why would you need sneakers for sore tired feet if your Danners are good for 20 miles?

Vasque Velocity is what I recommend, used for sheep hunting in Alaska, trail running, hiking and daily wear. Wide forefoot, low post for better stability on tuff off the trail terrain. Not quite as light as others but the post height is the most often over looked trail sneaker design. Most trail sneakers have a tall post that can lead to very poor stability. If I remember correctly and I could be wrong since I have been out of the footwear market for 5 years, NB has a fairly high post, OK for road work but not ruff ground.

I do not like G-tex in a shoe so when I step in water, the water runs out the open side Vs G-tex that allows the shoe to become a bucket. Alaska has very muddy bogs to run / hike through.

I have 5.11 and Danners, the 5.11 to me are a better boot. Since my days on active duty in Alaska, Danner never held up to day to day abuse, we got about 3 months use and the sole was worn off and leather in the toe was worn through, Alaska is very tuff on boots. I prefer LaSportiva, Italian made works of art. Cost a lot more but when it comes to rifles and scopes, we buy once cry once but forget our feet and buy cheap glued together boots. Worn Nepals for weeks with no tired sore feet. After long hours and paper work, finally got them an issued boot for troops in Alaska...the "Lhotse" and working with LaSportiva, the Lhotse comes in all black just for military.

I was never a military sniper but I retired from active 2001. I was a guide / instructor in Alaska owning my own guide service, was a gear tester for many high end outdoor companies, and help run mom pop shop gear store in Alaska up to 5 years ago. I do not know everything and have not abused it all but abused more outdoor gear than most.

Good luck

+1 on Danner boots. Been wearing them for years, and use them when ever out in the woods, shooting, hunting etc. But I understand the concept of your post. At the end of the day swapping out your boots for a fresh pair of socks and low,shoes and or sneakers seem to refresh my feet around camp and also give my boots down time to dry, cool, etc.
+1 for Merrell's hiking type boots. Fit well in a pack and provide a little more support for hiking. Whatever you pick, a good break in period is a great idea for your second pair. Made that mistake once and wont do it again.

Everyone in the house has Danners, the Ft Lewis is a decent light boot, not really a "work boot"

I wear Rain Forest model for work, they are built alot heavier. Ft Lew is fine for hunting as long as the weather permits.

My personal gripe with some of the Danners is the rounded bottom, Acadia's & Ft Lews in Tan - horrible on hard surfaces.

I am always glad to peel the boots off and slip on some fresh socks and Nike sneakers.

Customer Service A+ at Danner too

I like Vasque boots - they have wide sizes for us flat footed knuckle draggers. Mine have lasted longer than I ever expected them to.

Hey on the Danner Combat Hiker, best looking pair of hikers I have in closet that I dont wear. Was issued them before last deployment and they just never felt good. Now if I had been hiking in Astan and not walking roads in Iraq I probably would have done more than look at them.

For wet cold weather I have a pair of Ft. Lewis I have used for many years. Great boots but not for heat.

For general wear in field I like the tan rough side out Danners. They feel good and wear like iron.

For hot dry, the 5-11s, Danners or Converse work well ( Converse stretched out when rains came though.

Take a look at OTB boots. They have boots for every occasion. I own 3 diffrent pairs, and each kick ass for there intendid purpose.

Only boots I will buy.

I can not decide which is better this post or your other one - three doors down - RE 2012.

BTW I love the:

"Considering snake boots since they will keep me alive."

On that note, you also ought to prep for:

Waders with a belt
Seat belts
Lifejacket
Helmet
Fire Extinguisher
MOP Suit
Gas Mask
Emergency Fire Shelter
Rope - gotta have rope

It's a big list and I am just getting started. Maybe 41 can assist you in finding the right bug out bag - be sure and PM him for a recommendation.

Good luck

don't forget smokes, with out smokes who wants to survive.

I have a pair of Wesco Linemans I wear every day for work, and are probably the best boot I've ever owned. That said, I wear a lighter pair of Danners for hunting. I think the key is a well made pair of boots that fit right.

Everytime I find a good boot I really like they discontinue them. Last time I bought a pair went on a hike and came back to buy a couple more pair just to avoid this. They beat me to it and I couldn't get em anymore.

The main thing I look for is a very flexible sole in the toe area. If it is stiff there then the skin will come off my heels no matter how much I break-in the boots.

Been wearing the issued danner desert lightweights, but have a pair of oakley deserts that are very comfortable. Used the sawtooth from merrell for several years in Iraq, but they didn't hold up well.

Take your boots off.

Change your socks,

Rub your feet (Gently)

Apply some baby powder SPARINGLY and put them back on and go another 20 miles.

Have you considered snakes during these activities with sneakers on?

A buddy of mine in SC sent me some pics on saturday morning from a solid 6 foot rattler (16 beads) that was about 4 feet from his cab door when he got out to bow hunt that morning. Without snake boots on that morning there's a good chance I'd be sending him a get well card as opposed to asking him when his new belt and hat band are going to be done.

I wear Scarpa SLM3 I love em, down here in the desert the hold up to all the volcanic rock and cactus. Coupled with custom superfeet they are a dream to were especially with a heavy load.

USMC issue "jungle boot" 1967 date. Wear like hell, spike protective, and great all summer long for wet/hot weather. Gotta watch for those spikes. Getting hard to find them.

I'm wearing Meindls in the field right now....Gore-tex waterproof...Warm, and provide good support. Are quite heavy though....plus they are brown
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC issue "jungle boot" 1967 date. Wear like hell, spike protective, and great all summer long for wet/hot weather. Gotta watch for those spikes. Getting hard to find them. </div></div>
Old Army issue "jungle boots" (green, in warm weather, Bellvues (goretex, black, issue) in cold weather.

I've destroyed my Raichle Goretex boots. Those things are like combat slippers now... The goretex lining makes them hot in warmer months but in winter they're perfect and worth their weight in gold.

Got some OTB Thor TC's but the sole is way too thin IMO, not overly comfortable over distance.

LOWA ZEPHYR
Lowa

They make them in a Low, Mid, and High, so you can pick the level of support/protection that you need, but also keep the size/weight down to a minimum. They also offer some models with or wihtout Gortex depending on what you prefer.

Plenty of folks in the Special Ops Community putting a lot of miles on them with good results. Lowa is constantly updating these and adding new features based on feedback from the field, as such check into which model you are buying because they are changing quickly and a retailer may still have an old model/version in stock. Fair warning, they are not cheap, but as they say you get what you pay for!

MERRELL SAWTOOTH
Merrell
Also per above, it is another good option, but they only offer it in a Mid size.

ASOLO FLAME
Asolo
Another Mid Size option.

Each of the above have their own strenghts & weaknesses, comes down to which features are most important for how you will use them the most.

I always loved how the Military wore "Combat Boots", that in most cases turned most troops feet into "hamburger", and it took how many years before they finally started adopting boots that were actually designed and made for long duration walking/hiking? If you take a look at the civilians who are into "serious" hiking/climbing they are wearing Asolo, La Sportiva, Lowa, Merrell, and Vasque, they are not wearing "Military Combat Boots", and there is a very good reason for that!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Combat boots were not made to provide comfort to the soliders feet. They were made to be cheap and durable. That they do very well for those that are tough enough to wear them.

I used to love Danners, and they are a damn fine boot, but now I wear Lowas. Seekers in the summer, GTX Hunters in the winter. Truly awesome boots. Obviously you shouldn't need good boots if you don't walk much but if you do, upper end boots like Lowa, Hanwag, Meindls an Kennetrek are well worth the extra $75 over Danners IMHO.

I wear danner desert TFX mostly. I have some Asolo boots that are nice hikers.

For winter i've got some heavily insulated Irish Setter boots.

My footwear philosophy is that if you are going through the trouble of carrying an extra pair when out and about that extra pair should be good for all the jobs that the primary boot is not. For example, if you comfortable hiking the weight of a pair of 8" Danner boots with Gore Tex on your feet for miles in the woods that is well and good, personally, I love Danners. What they are not good for with GTX and a lugged sole is sneaking very quietly and drying out fast. I would get a 2nd pair of shoes to take that fill in those gaps. Something short, light, very breathable and fast drying with a grippy sole and thinner midsole for good ground-feel, stealth and traction. That way you can pop them on for creek crossings, stalking, camp use at the end of the day, and days when it will be raining steadily all day and you don't feel like wearing rain pants. Without rain pants water will eventually run through your pant legs and into your Danners and then you have wet feet. GTX Danners take days to dry in the woods, better to keep them that way in the first place.
A good, low to mid height light hiker/trail running shoe without waterproofing is great. Something from Montrail, Merrill, 5.10, etc. Most serious hikers on the AT wear something similar all day every day and they last just fine for 600-1200 miles or more ( 18-30+ mile days). For occasional use they last a lot longer. Just my opinion from my personal experience and observations.

Just got in a pair of the 5.11 XPRT from Lapolicegear.com. The feel reminds me quite a bit of the 5.11 HRT's which I've had for several years (and really like) but slightly different. They have them on closeout @ $74.99. The list price I've seen on other sites run roughly twice that. Lightweight and very comfortable on my feet for the limited time that I've been wearing them. So far, I'm impressed with them.

5.11 XPRT Boots

I just got a pair of Muck Wetlands. I hope they preform just as good if not better than my old Rocky boots. Those lasted 4 years. I thought at the time $130 for boots was insane, money well spent to keep my feet dry while hunting and roaming the woods.

Bought a pair of Danner Quarry's off of Ebay cheap and traded them for a pair of Danner Desert TFX at a local boot store. Really like the Danner's.

I like both sets I am wearing now, pretty durable and comfortable.

My range boots are Rocky S2V
101.jpg

My duty boots are Rocky Tac Team
8840.jpg

Ihave a pair of selous boots from Africa that I have beaten to death for 10 yrs and they are still going strong, super strong,quiet, comfortable , and durable. Check them out at Westley Richards.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ihave a pair of selous boots from Africa that I have beaten to death for 10 yrs and they are still going strong, super strong,quiet, comfortable , and durable. Check them out at Westley Richards.com</div></div>

(Does "Selous Scouts" sound familiar?)

I wear Danner (Ft Lewis) and Oakley (Desert) but the next pair may be OTBs. Years ago it was Vasque, Pivetta, and Corcoran.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Vasque boots - they have wide sizes for us flat footed knuckle draggers. Mine have lasted longer than I ever expected them to. </div></div>

I love my Vasques, I had a pair I wore when I was with the forest service in Mt, those things walked for YEARS and still were good shape.
I recently picked up a pair of ASOLO's and love em.

I like the Nepal evo GTX. There are many options for this boot including vertical climbing.

Danner Acadia for work AND play.

Been wearing them going on 7 years now.

i went dual survival guy barefoot, shit hurts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i went dual survival guy barefoot, shit hurts</div></div>

I have done that a bit as well. Hurts for a while but feet adapt quickly. Not too bad in the Southeast but you couldn't pay me to go barefoot in cactus country!

I generally wear Whites Smoke jumpers they are a handmade work but and very durable and comfortable. I do this mostly because I am very hard on foot wear and they are the only thing i have found that will last me more than one year.

/\ Smart man. I roll the packers, but the smoke jumpers are next on my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Vasque boots - they have wide sizes for us flat footed knuckle draggers. Mine have lasted longer than I ever expected them to. </div></div>
I love my Vasques, I had a pair I wore when I was with the forest service in Mt, those things walked for YEARS and still were good shape.
I recently picked up a pair of ASOLO's and love em. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK-ULTRA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the Nepal evo GTX. There are many options for this boot including vertical climbing. </div></div>

A few Hiders understand quality footwear.

I did about a year of testing for Vasque but Vasque's last does not fit my feet and had some QA issues. The exception is Velocity trail shoe, absolutely phenomenal in fit and performance.

LaSportiva's Makalu last is the most neutral last I have used, this last is used on most of their high end boots. Trango last is their other high end last and is not as neutral. I tested LaSportiva for years and no other boot performed anywhere close for work and play in Alaska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking some military sniper input on boots would be great.

My bug out boots are Danner Gortex. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They are waterproof and can be used on a 20 mile hike out of the box.

</div></div>

I do believe someone should have stopped you here. Have you ever done a 20 mile hike? With this bug out gear you plan on carrying? Danner's are some nice boots but I'd have a hard time believing that any boot it ready for that distance out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. This will be used when my feat are sore/ torn up from boots. I can also walk/ ride bike/ do other things alot further in sneakers.

What shoes are you wearing/ keeping in your pack if you have to bug out?

Considering snake boots since they will keep me alive.

</div></div>
Like someone mentioned above good worn in boots don't eat your feet up.

Shoes in a bug out bag? I'd suggest having the boots on your feet and extra socks, and maybe some foot powder.

Snake boots won't keep you alive, not getting bitten might. Most people who are bitten are bitten in the hand and arms area guess why.

I'd suggest loading up your ruck have someone pick you up at your house take you 5 miles away and kick you out. Then step it up by 5 more after your confident with that distance. Then maybe add 2 miles until you reach your goal. Leave the rifle at home passer by's won't understand and neither will the authorities. Chances are the boots you have will work fine, sneakers are great for hiking with the misses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't forget <span style="color: #FF0000">PORN</span>, with out <span style="color: #FF0000">PORN</span> who wants to survive.</div></div>

Sorry I had to fix that for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Vasque boots - they have wide sizes for us flat footed knuckle draggers. Mine have lasted longer than I ever expected them to. </div></div>
I recently picked up a pair of ASOLO's and love em. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK-ULTRA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the Nepal evo GTX. There are many options for this boot including vertical climbing. </div></div>

A few Hiders understand quality footwear.

I did about a year of testing for Vasque but Vasque's last does not fit my feet and had some QA issues. The exception is Velocity trail shoe, absolutely phenomenal in fit and performance.

LaSportiva's Makalu last is the most neutral last I have used, this last is used on most of their high end boots. Trango last is their other high end last and is not as neutral. I tested LaSportiva for years and no other boot performed anywhere close for work and play in Alaska. </div></div>

Its because like most internet forums tactical is the key word. If quality hiking boots, put the word "tactical, sniper, or extreme" on the title, they would sell more here.
I like the pic man, getting excited about some Snow climbing coming up here in a few months!

I know Sportiva USA had a hard time convincing LaSportiva to make the Lhotse boots in all black but after a hard fought battle, many units in Alaska now issue Lhotse and I understand many other units and countries do now too. My understanding is 5000 pairs of black Lhotse were ordered the first year and caused headaches and being a hand crafted boot one at a time ouch! Your are correct, should have changed the name!

My last days, I was working with my inside rep and the owner of Sportiva USA to offer the Trango Extreme GTX in black but a resounding no from Italy, the Euros love those bright colours.

Snow climbing where? I spent some time in the Tucson area back mid 80s, we did some actual ice on Mt Lemmon, something like once ever 10 years I understood, very thin and very short.