• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What Muzzle Brake for a 50 bmg?

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2009
California
I have a 50 bmg edm windrunner. I shot it off the bench and had to see my chiropracter. Shooting it prone was fine. My AR50 was silky smooth, so was my 82A1. Anyone have any experience swapping it out with another muzzle brake and what brand/ model?
Thx in advance

Re: What Muzzle Brake for a 50 bmg?

Is it the older windrunner brake or the new one? I have the new one and it actually recoils less than my Barrett M99.

The fish gill brake made by East Ridge gun co/State Arms is VERY effective. I have one my Ferret Supercomp and even with heavy 800gr.boreriders recoil isn't bad at all. The one on the Barret 99 and 95 isn't bad either. I fired an old model LAR Grizzly and it knocked the taste out of my mouth.AR50 is nice too.

With the fish gill brake I can easily can fire 40-50 rounds in an afternoon. The blast/overpressure is more annoying than the recoil. Much less than a 2 and 3/4 inch 12ga. slug gun.

Try looking : HERE

Indeed the new Windrunner has the fish gill brake on.

get another AR50 brake.
042.jpg

stay away from K&P
good breaks but they tell you 3 months it will turn into 13 months

bohica makes a nice one and sells them
anzio makes some also
you can try these guys also
www.BOYS50BMGATR.COM (3/4 down the page)

big thing is getting one with the correct thread

there a few others out there also
if i can think of them ill update the thread

EDM has the new 8 port gill muzzle brake available.You should contact Bill Ritchie and ask him what he can do to help you get the new style brake.He's a great guy to deal with and you know it'll fit the barrel without any mods.The new style brake is twice as effective as the old vias style brake.McMillan went through the same learning curve with the Tac-50.
STEVE

K&P might take a while but BOY do they work!! I have there old "clam shell" on my "heavy class" gun. And my .308 kicks more!