• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

When does Retumbo surpass H1000

OkieMike

avowed heathen knuckle dragger
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
NE Oklahoma
I have both powders on my shelf for 300 Win Mag...

Never have tried Retumbo but I've used H1000. I don't recall ever seeing load data for pills under 200 gr for Retumbo in 300 WM... So that's something of a clue to me, it's a bit too slow for sub 200 gr pills. I also realize it will probably work but may be suboptimal.

At what bullet weight would I be better off trying Retumbo over H1000 in 300 WM?

And I realize every rifle and component combo is unique as to what works... I guess I'm asking in general.

No particular reason for this query. Just something I've wondered about for a while and used a caliber and bullets I'm familiar with to set the parameters.

Mike

Here's my reference load for Retumbo in my MPA 300-WM rifle.
1700238510332.png
1700238550193.png

It gives me awesome results out to a mile. I use H1000 for the larger stuff (300-NM, 338-LM). I have lots of both, and have found that Retumbo is best in my 300-WM ... but that's just me. Hope that helps.

Reactions: OkieMike
I usually see higher velocity numbers from retumbo than from H1000 with heavies, but I always get tighter ES and SD with H1000, even though H1000 is a bit slower.

I tend to favor H1000 just because I'd rather give up a little velocity for tighter ES/SD, especially when shooting at longer ranges where that tighter ES/SD is more evident on the target.

Every gun is different though, so it's still worth testing.

Reactions: OkieMike
H-Retumbo is a terrible powder. And you don't need to buy any more of it!
Really? Not my experience at all. I use Retumbo in several long range loads and get single-digit SD's and consistent hits out to a mile. I've struggled to decide which I like better, H1000 or Retumbo ... as they both perform really well in my long range rifles. That said ... to each his own.

In my .338LM I run H-1000 with 250 to 285 grain bullets but Retumbo for 300 gainers.
AI-AXMC 29in barrel

Berger Hybrid 300gr
Nosler Brass
215M
Retumbo 90.4
AVG FPS 2798
SD 6.8 ( 10 shot test group)

285 ELD-M
Nosler Brass
215M
H-1000 92.6
AVG FPS 2877
SD 7.2 (10 shot test group)

When shooting passed 2000 yards the Berger just carry better. Longest hit at a ELR match 2650 on a 40x40 target with the Bergers.

Reactions: OkieMike and lash
Really? Not my experience at all. I use Retumbo in several long range loads and get single-digit SD's and consistent hits out to a mile. I've struggled to decide which I like better, H1000 or Retumbo ... as they both perform really well in my long range rifles. That said ... to each his own.
It went over your head.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee