• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

When is it time to quit buying stuff?

Roscoe_M4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I'm about three years into self-employed part-time work, thanks to being laid off four years ahead of planned retirement due to a company sell out. I finally have time to build the reloading bench and gun room I planned to build 15 years ago when we bought our current home. But now I'm thinking "how long am I really going to use it and should I just start buying good factory match ammo (assuming it becomes available again by the time I use up my stash of match primers)?" I go through the same mental gymnastics every time I contemplate acquiring a new gun or optic - "how many times will I actually get to use this?"

So my questions are: How many years into our 70s or 80s or longer can we expect to enjoy this sport? I haven't shot a match in years from being too busy, and now I'm not sure I have the stamina. So, when is it time to just quit buying new stuff?

All advice appreciated, especially from other FOGs!

I never wonder how many times I'm going to shoot a nice gun when I buy it...it's never going to be much. However, I spend a shitload of time just holding them while I watch TV etc...

I got that practice from my dad, who still does it at 78. He shoots weekly, and gave me a pretty good collection of guns a few years back. I've doubled that collection, so that I'll hopefully have something to give my kids and watch them enjoy when I'm older and their lives are stable.

I'll hunt and shoot until I'm no longer physically capable. Even if it means I pass down my collection until I'm down to just a couple .22s.

Lots of good advice so far. I do like to golf - my .260 makes those balls do crazy things!

No kids, but a nephew that goes to the range with me a lot and helped me build my first homemade AR-15 a month after the layoff. He is big into shooting and offered to help build out the gun room. He gets the GAP .260 when I'm done with it.

Thanks for the replies!

Heck, I’m 72, state champion in cycling time trialing for my age group, just took delivery of a new MPA BA PRO, I’m finished with IHMSA not because I don’t still love it, but I can’t hold a 6.5 pound handgun anymore, but I’m gonna give a PRS match a go, even if I totally embarrass myself.

My med professional says there are two kinds of seniors. Those who push to keep on living and those who sit on the couch waiting to die. Each and everyone of us will get to ask ourselves this question; Which one am I?

Me...Quoting Jimmy Buffett. “I‘d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead.“.
E968B2CC-7139-4F39-8BD5-F4275C4037FC.jpeg
FF50A2BD-3161-4FF1-8530-532B09226A29.jpeg

I just read an article about about an old fucker setting a bench rest world record at 76. Dude still shoots weekly it sounded like. You may not be going hard in 3 gun, but there's plenty of easier stuff that can keep you sharp.

Keep it up.

You are implying that there is a 'time' when you quit buying stuff. Thing is, there are ALWAYS deals to be had/made. Question is, are YOU in a place to make 'em?

I'm not saying in any way, that 'everyone needs more stuff. Not at all. But what I am saying is, 'improvements' can always be made. It is simply a cost/return conundrum.

Reactions: Sandhog308
If you are passionate and love everything about guns/shooting/reloading and just generally the atmosphere of this hobby. Should you be holding yourself back from something you enjoy? I say do what makes you happy and don’t stop now. YOLO

I’m 67 now , long past my prime. That said , it is 4:20 a.m. on Easter Sunday. Getting dressed for a 10 mile run. Been a hard core runner the majority of my life.
Averaged over 2k miles per yr. since 2001. From the 7th grade until I kept logs, no telling how many miles I’ve run ?
I’ll go to Church , go out to a friends for drink & food , then go to a makeshift range and shoot mostly rimfire. In normal times we would break out the 5.56 & .308s’. We are in the “safe em“ mode. But we’ll do approximately the same as we did 25 yrs. ago. You don’t keep moving , the harder it is keep moving. Only live once...I assume ??
👍 I’m a running shoe hoe , worse habit I keep feeding !

Last edited:
My med professional says there are two kinds of seniors. Those who push to keep on living and those who sit on the couch waiting to die. Each and everyone of us will get to ask ourselves this question; Which one am I?

This is the unvarnished truth. I'm now watching it play out in real time in my family, my friends' families, and a number of work colleagues that I've met over the years. While the Reaper remains unbeaten by both camps, it's pretty clear which path provides better quality of life, and it's ain't the ones who are trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid pain and suffering. Hopefully the Lord will give me the opportunity to suffer gracefully under the burden of physical effort until my last day, whenever that happens to be.

While I hope that the most valuable inheritance I leave behind is knowledge and experiences, I'd also like to think that my kids and grandkids will appreciate that I spent my time and money putting together a collection of useful tools and toys that they can continue to use for decades after my passing.

well, let's do some math...

I'm 47yo, recently medically retired. There isn't any way to predict when I'll die, but the current expectancy is 75 or so, so that's 28 more years. I'm already at the point that I often can't finish a 2 day match, I will have to sit out one or more stages due to pain, but I still shoot.

When I can get components I'll shoot 1000rds of 9mm a month, then precision and AR, not a lot of 12ga or 22lr, but some. for the sake of argument, let's say 2k rounds a month, that's "enough". The numbers say 672,000 rounds, so.....

IF someone gave me 1,000,000 primers, with the catch being that I could never buy any again, I MIGHT it

Reactions: ClintQuint
I plan on running around grabbing asses and flirting with the hottest women I come across!
Same here, and inviting them to the range. Except here in Charlottesville, 85%Biden Blue, that will win me little affection. But Ill keep trying until.

1617541974972.png

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Heck, I’m 72, state champion in cycling time trialing for my age group, just took delivery of a new MPA BA PRO, I’m finished with IHMSA not because I don’t still love it, but I can’t hold a 6.5 pound handgun anymore, but I’m gonna give a PRS match a go, even if I totally embarrass myself.

Me...Quoting Jimmy Buffett. “I‘d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead.“.View attachment 7597090View attachment 7597092
Yep. I turned 71 in December and dont d any other sports except the occasional hike (want to do the Grand Canyon again rim to river and back) but weather permitting work outside every day. Just added two new firearms to the collection, a S&W 625 (which is my favorite to shoot of all I own) and yesterday bought a CZ 457 synthetic stock in .22 long rifle.

While Im at it, Fuck the ChiComs.

I've definitely changed what I do and how I do it. Can't assume a proper prone position, so LR is out (eyes wouldn't cooperate anyway) so mostly handgun these days...occasionally a little 2 gun. Reflexes have slowed as have the feet so IDPA and USPSA scores have dropped. Still holding steady in SC thanks to no movement.

I don't know which I would miss more, shooting or loading. A few times each year I load up batches and drag a few long guns to the range and sit at the bench just to smell the residue.

I'm about three years into self-employed part-time work, thanks to being laid off four years ahead of planned retirement due to a company sell out. I finally have time to build the reloading bench and gun room I planned to build 15 years ago when we bought our current home. But now I'm thinking "how long am I really going to use it and should I just start buying good factory match ammo (assuming it becomes available again by the time I use up my stash of match primers)?" I go through the same mental gymnastics every time I contemplate acquiring a new gun or optic - "how many times will I actually get to use this?"

So my questions are: How many years into our 70s or 80s or longer can we expect to enjoy this sport? I haven't shot a match in years from being too busy, and now I'm not sure I have the stamina. So, when is it time to just quit buying new stuff?

The eyes will determine when shooting becomes more of a chore than an enjoyable hobby. Keep shooting until your eyes tell you it time to put up the guns and leave them for an inheritance.

Didnt the guy who just shot the best benchrest group at 1000 ever, wasnt he like 84? Dude, im 40 and im gonna shoot till the lights go out. Passion doesnt care about age.

When i was a kid and old man ran my local gunshop where i bought my first gun. I still shop there often. Thru the years there was always one old geezer or another that would sit in a chair by the safe and register and just bullshit about guns all day. They would offer their advice to new buyers, or just give knowledge on certain firearms or maybe if you were lucky an old war story or two. Now when i go sometimes and there isnt anybody in the seat, i sit down and bullshit and give my opinions to new buyers or tell little things i may know about firearms. Funny when it hits you that now your the old man in the seat.

When i was a kid and old man ran my local gunshop where i bought my first gun. I still shop there often. Thru the years there was always one old geezer or another that would sit in a chair by the safe and register and just bullshit about guns all day. They would offer their advice to new buyers, or just give knowledge on certain firearms or maybe if you were lucky an old war story or two. Now when i go sometimes and there isnt anybody in the seat, i sit down and bullshit and give my opinions to new buyers or tell little things i may know about firearms. Funny when it hits you that now your the old man in the seat.
No kidding. Im (usually) surprised when I realize Im the oldest person in the room.

When you run out of things that you feel like buying.

Do what makes you happy so long as you can afford it. I know my Dad won't leave us much in the way of money, but he has built up a very large collection of tools and stuff to be used by his 4 kids/3 grand kids. He ran out of things he could possibly want, so he bought all the grandkids rifles just because he hadn't bought a gun in awhile. He regularly changes scopes and stock/chassis just because he wants something new. It makes him happy to just play around with changing stuff and reloading. Then he'll go lay down in a field and decimate some gophers/praire dogs/rock chucks.

Reactions: wh20crazy
I'll shoot until I can't see the reticles of my scopes, or the front sight post of my handguns. With that said, probably into my 70's. Mac

I'll shoot until I can't see the reticles of my scopes, or the front sight post of my handguns. With that said, probably into my 70's. Mac
Well I can still see the reticles, usually two of them and two bullseyes, but that should clear up after cataract surgery next month. I get to the range every two or three weeks, more often when work is light. I still shoot respectable groups from the bench and enjoy plinking with ARs and pistols. A new cardio workout three times a week and diet helped me drop 25 pounds since November with about 15 more to go, and my energy level is coming back up.

So, I'll plan to get started on the gun room project ASAP and hope to finish before I turn 72 later this year.

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement!!!

Me...Quoting Jimmy Buffett. “I‘d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead.“.View attachment 7597090View attachment 7597092
thats great, keep up the good work

About the time the first shovel full of dirt hits you in the face....until then “buy more ammo”

Reactions: wh20crazy
That video was heart warming thank you for sharing it.

This is a very timely question. I am 70, had major heart issues 12 years ago. The Doctors did a great job. Along the way I asked Doctors "How long will I live?"... Each had a somewhat different reply.

This is not just a shooting discussion.. It is a life discussion. 35 years ago I would have never go into a Harbor Freight store. Now, I shop there routinely. Because, at my age, a Harbor Freight tool will probably out life me. I have many possessions that will outlive me.

I frequent Estate Sales and observe "the Kids" dealing with dispersing all of Mom / Dad's stuff. I don't want my kids to have to deal with my stuff when I'm gone. Yes, there will be possessions that go to my one son but my daughter has no desire for any of my collection.

I moved to my homestead 5 years ago and am very selective about "collecting" anything. My vehicles, tractor and implements will sell off easily. The value of my place is in the property so I'm not doing a remodel on an older home....

My advice to any person asking these questions is this - "Follow Your Passion".....

Hobo

Reactions: Texasflyer
I shoot matches with a guy who is well into his 70s, and I'm talking Sporting Rifle Match at Whittington Center, "carry all your gear for two+ miles" matches. You're only a old as you let yourself be

Buy shit until your not there to buy it anymore. Let someone else deal with it when your gone.

Well I can still see the reticles, usually two of them and two bullseyes, but that should clear up after cataract surgery next month. I get to the range every two or three weeks, more often when work is light. I still shoot respectable groups from the bench and enjoy plinking with ARs and pistols. A new cardio workout three times a week and diet helped me drop 25 pounds since November with about 15 more to go, and my energy level is coming back up.

So, I'll plan to get started on the gun room project ASAP and hope to finish before I turn 72 later this year.

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement!!!
You will be amazed at the difference cataract surgery will make. I had gone to 20/80 in both eyes. After surgery I have 20/15 and 20/19. The weird thing is that right after surgery, meaning the next morning, they take the bandage off and eveything looks like youre looking thru a microscope with a blue tint. I heard of one guy who's first reaction was "Give me my old eyes back now I see all the dirt on the floor".