• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which 7mm for medium action?

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
Just picked up a TL3 medium length action for another hunting rig.

I have 7SAUM brass but I’m also thinking maybe a 7-6.5PRC since I have a shit ton of ADG brass.

Going to do a 18-20” barrel and looking for more velocity.

If you're wanting max horsepower, the 7mm Sherman mega would be ideal. Its based on adg 300wsm brass with a long neck, 40 degree shoulder a low taper, believe case capacity comes in at 82-83 grains.

I’m running 162s over 3k in 20” SAUMs…

How much faster you want?

Out of a 20” suppressed barrel…?

Probably better options IMO.
My 28” 7 SAUM pushes the 190 LRHTs at 2935 though if you want to extrapolate.
not at 3k...well maybe the 175s will from a Mega

but wanting to push heavier bullets in general

you have 3.235" might as well use it and if you have 175/195s i'd rather them than 162s

Reactions: NewsShooter
not at 3k...well maybe the 175s will from a Mega

but wanting to push heavier bullets in general

you have 3.235" might as well use it and if you have 175/195s i'd rather them than 162s
I agree with the later…

But you feel the same way in a 20” suppressed barrel the OP asked about? Unless your talking the Mega strictly…which I get.

If you're wanting max horsepower, the 7mm Sherman mega would be ideal. Its based on adg 300wsm brass with a long neck, 40 degree shoulder a low taper, believe case capacity comes in at 82-83 grains.
That’s what I’m currently building. Very excited.

If I was doing a short barrel 7mm it would probably be a 284 win. Good case design, usually available and good quality brass. Not near the capacity as some of those mentioned but not sure how much of a issue that would be on a 18" barrel. I wouldn't think you could get the potential out of 82 grains of powder with that short of a barrel.

162 grain bullets out of a 20" saum at over 3000fps sounds over pressure?

I’m building a “28 TAC” (7-6.5PRC) as an alternative to the 7 SAUM and Sherman cartridges because of brass and propriety.

28 TAC is basically a 0.185” freebore 7-6.5PRC with no-turn neck which puts a Berger 180 Hybrid at ~3.115” OAL. (I would have to check my prints and exact measurements). The 190 Berger is also in the ~3.125” OAL range. They were very close OAL to lands.

I got tired of chasing 7 SAUM brass and didn’t want to depend on Sherman for ADG brass, reamer, does, etc. Sherman cartridges are cool and basically turn-key. He has/had all is framers out for regrind and quit offering reamer rentals. That was the turning point for me. I’ll roll my own….

If I was doing a short barrel 7mm it would probably be a 284 win. Good case design, usually available and good quality brass. Not near the capacity as some of those mentioned but not sure how much of a issue that would be on a 18" barrel. I wouldn't think you could get the potential out of 82 grains of powder with that short of a barrel.

162 grain bullets out of a 20" saum at over 3000fps sounds over pressure?
Maybe…I dunno…

5-6 barrels worth and with that load of R26 and throat I personally have some Remington brass with 7 firings on it that is GTG.